• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Update 42-2 The Beltway Proposal Part 2

Sign in to follow this  
kj3400

update_banner.png

Welcome back. We hope you had enough time to think about the first section because we’ve already started building the beltway before giving you all the budget specifics and billed you for it finished the second portion of the proposal for your viewing.

Phase II, as you may recall, involves extending the Capital Beltway from I-1 to I-2. The next section we will look at is Phase IV. We will look at Phase III last as it is geographically later than this section. Phase IV connects I-2 to I-1 north of Johnson City, crossing over the Baltimore River.

Option 1a exit 6

exit_6_option_1a.png

Exit 6 will provide direct access to West Johnson City via a modified diamond interchange. The interchange was originally was going to be with Melbourne Rd, but it was decided the interchange would be too close to the interchange with I-302/I-2.

Exit 7

exit_7_option_1a.png

A simple diamond with the Great Northwest Road was recommended here. This might need to be upgraded in the future.

Option 1b exit 6

exit_6_option_1b.png

The specifications for this interchange are exactly the same as for option 1a’s exit 7 as is the road the interchange is for. The only difference is the wide curve to the east the beltway will take here.

Because of the different number of exits on option 1a and 1b, the next set of exits will have two numbers associated with them.

Exit 7 or 8

This exit isn’t going to be constructed with the rest of the beltway, because it simply isn’t needed yet. However, due to our country’s exit numbering protocol, we are trying to avoid massive renumbering by reserving this exit number ahead of time.

Exit 8 or 9:

exit_7_or_8.png

This exit is for Route 19, to access New Baltimore to the north. The layout of the interchange is due to the New Baltimore river crossing.

Exit 9a-b-c/10 or 10a-b-c/11

exit_9a-c-10_or_10a-c-11.png

This quartet of exits is for National Highway 3/Great Northern Rd, I-1 and Louvenia Pike. The unusually shaped interchange is due to the geography of the area. Interstate 1 is wedged between the city’s freight rail line and Paradise’s commuter rail line, and moving either one could prove costly. As a result, we had to get a bit creative with this interchange.

exit_9a-c-10_or_10a-c-11_alt.png

The alternate version of this interchange is what would be constructed if it were decided if a toll were to be put on the river crossing. The toll plaza would require westbound traffic crossing the river to collect before the plaza, eastbound traffic exiting after the crossing to exit after the toll, and westbound traffic exiting before the bridge and traffic heading eastbound on the beltway to do so more east than the former two things.

We at the Commonwealth Transit Department appreciate your input and will be back with our third portion of this proposal soon.

Sign in to follow this  

8 Comments

Recommended Comments

Schulmanator: The Commonwealth prides itself on their planning ahead...even if it seems like their plans are a bit grandiose at times :P

k50: If the toll option is picked, you'll see :P

Share this comment