• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

1870 Census – Part 2

SimCoug

newsorgunmasthead.jpg

Update 23

Summer 1870

When we last left, Fredric Stevens was making his way around Nug Hill and the new quarry. While the outer edges of the SorGun region held their own little rustic charm, Mr. Stevens was excited at the prospect of staying in a nice hotel and finding a proper meal. Fortunately, New SorGun was his next stop.

Update%2023%20-%200%20pop%20map.jpg

The trip down the Rannug river and into SorGun harbor was uneventful and a nature lovers dream.

Update%2023%20-%201%20travel%20arrow.jpg

As Stevens drew near, New SorGun appeared in the distance. The town appeared small from out on the water, but it was a town, nonetheless.

(click for full size)

Update%2023%20-%202%20New%20SorGun%20overview.jpg

Mr. Stevens stepped off the barge and found himself on New SorGun’s wharf – and a busy one at that. Logging schooners and merchant sailing ships were tied up on the many piers, unloading and loading their wares.

(click for full size)

Update%2023%20-%203%20docks.jpg

He made his way up Main Street and was surprised to see the large number of business and shops. It was apparent that New SorGun was the center of trade in the region.

Update%2023%20-%204%20main%20st%20far.jpg

From the newest San Francisco apparel to fresh produce, Mr. Stevens enjoyed his early morning stroll up and down the main commercial district. He even found a hot meal at Ol’ Blues Good Eats.

Update%2023%20-%205%20main%20st%20close.jpg

Not one to waste time, Mr. Stevens got to work on his census duties, working his way from the business district to the outer homes – counting everyone along the way.

Update%2023%20-%206%20SorGun%20homes.jpg

The Walker Inn was the finest hotel north of the Columbia River – but after a long days work, Mr. Stevens was only able to enjoy the clean, soft bed. He slept soundly… the aroma from the cow pasture didn’t even disturb his rest.

Update%2023%20-%207%20hotel%20by%20cattle.jpg

The next day, Fredric headed to the south end of town – sometimes referred to as Yarahiville after the mill. The atmosphere down by the lumber mill was a little tougher, but lively too. Mr. Finch’s Illahee was as busy as ever – and the sprightly Miss Kitty saloon only added to the scene.

Update%2023%20-%208%20Yarahi%20mill.jpg

After a strong (some would say too strong) drink at the Kitty, Mr. Stevens continued on with his census work. A short walk away from the animated mill area, Stevens found the town’s first church. Some houses and tenements stood nearby, but the open acres of farmland could be seen just down the street.

Update%2023%20-%209%20new%20church.jpg

On the fringes of town, Mr. Stevens found the newly constructed school house, as the old building was proving too small for the growing population.

Update%2023%20-%2010%20school.jpg

Despite a number of bridges constructed in the region, the mighty Rannug was too wide and strong to cross easily without extensive engineering – so in the meantime a simple ferry takes passengers across the waterway. Stevens enjoyed his trip across, and was able to finish his census of New SorGun after strolling through the dwellings on the opposite bank.

Update%2023%20-%2011%20ferry%20closeup.jpg

With his work finished in New SorGun, Mr. Stevens spent one last night in the ‘big city’. The next morning, he headed east, into the hills. The next part of his journey would astonish him…

Update%2023%20-%2012%20creek%20mosaic.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Replies to the last Teaser:

dubaidude303: Now that is amazing! Your an expert at details! Keep it up :)

Thank you!

Mithrik: Nice, I saw that mill a few days ago when you posted that zoom 6 picture. One question. What are the stones you use? I don't think I have seen them before.

Hopefully the PM answered you question - thanks for the compliment.

Jacob Guajardo: Sweet

Thanks!

ggamgus: Oh my goodness, the way the water tiles are placed are just perfect. :O This is amazing, sir!!!

Thanks!

10000000000000: Stunning! I wonder, is this picture 99% MMP, and 1% collapsed lot with prop? :P

You got it. See my reply in the teaser comment section for a link to the Mill.

Kevenbro: Cant Wait bro! :D

Hope you enjoy it.

Mastof: Excellent Work man!

Thank you!

hammysonata: Oh wow, really amazing as usual! :) Love your use of the ploppable water!

The ploppable water is a challenge each time I use it, but I think I bulldoze less now than when I first started :)

NMUSpidey: You just churn out amazing pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing the results the rest of the census produces!

It turns out the census is taking longer than expected - but hopefully you enjoyed this installment. Part 3 will be the last of this census series.

Hellken: @SimCoug This is very good MMP work! Der_gammler's water MMp is hard to master. PS Try putting some rocks and tall grass in front of Doc Rorlach's Crown Pub Mill. It looks like it's flying (a bit). :)

Thank you for the tip - I added some small rocks and stones to the bottom and you were correct - much better now. :)

Kruness: wow awesome! really like the water and the rocks

Thanks!

20 Comments

Recommended Comments