• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

1870 Census – Part 1

SimCoug

newsorgunmasthead.jpg

Update 22

Summer 1870

1870 has arrived, and according to the US Constitution, a census is required every 10 years to determine the current population of the country. Fredric Stevens was tasked with overseeing the count in the SorGun region.

Update%2022%20-%201%20SorGun%20Region%20overview.jpg

Stevens began his journey at the small pier in Materburg.

Update%2022%20-%202%20Materburg%20Arrival.jpg

Materburg, which sits at the end of Mater Creek, has grown steadily over the past 10 years. Stevens assessed the town’s population at 684, making it the third largest town in the region.

Update%2022%20-%203%20Materburg%20region%20view.jpg

The town now expands all the way from the coastal pier, to the big bend in the creek. The forests have been cut back extensively in the past 10 years to make more room for farms and houses. Mr. Stevens didn’t see what the town looked like a decade before, but he could appreciate how much growth has occurred in this little farming town.

(click for full size)

Update%2022%20-%204%20Materburg%20overview.jpg

Downtown Materburg is home to more two and three story buildings, as well as a sprouting commercial district.

Update%2022%20-%205%20Materburg%20downtown.jpg

Stevens walked door to door, counting each home as was required by the census. He noticed the new blocks of houses were only a rocks throw from the farms that were the economic engine of this community.

Update%2022%20-%206%20neighborhoods%20far.jpg

He could tell that folks took pride in their homes and lively hoods out here in the wilderness.

Update%2022%20-%207%20neighborhoods%20close.jpg

The biggest news in town was the newly constructed bridge spanning Mater Creek on the eastern edge of town. Finished last fall, folks could now easily get from town to the farmland that hugged the creek to the east.

Update%2022%20-%208%20Materburg%20bridge.jpg

Just over the bridge, Mr. Stevens found more farms where great evergreens once stood.

Update%2022%20-%209%20Materburg%20farms.jpg

The journey up Mater Creek was aided by a newly constructed road, one of the longest and nicest in the region.

Update%2022%20-%2010%20Arrow%20Ridge%20trip.jpg

At the end of the road, nestled between two hills, he found himself in the middle Arrow Ridge – a little town that had sprung up in the last ten years.

Update%2022%20-%2011%20Arrow%20Ridge%20overview.jpg

Arrow Ridge, named after the hills that aided pioneers on their journey to New SorGun, began as a resting area for wagon trains making the long Journey north to New SorGun. A man by the name of Theodore Green founded the town when he constructed some Spartan looking shacks and charged travelers looking for a place to stay with a roof over their head. It has since grown into a small hamlet of 154 people, according to Mr. Stevens.

(animation)

Update%2022%20-%2012%20arrow%20animation.gif

Like the wagon trains in years past, Fredric Stevens pushed on, making his way to the Rannug river and the old abandoned town of Junction.

Update%2022%20-%2013%20Junction%20trip.jpg

Junction was one of three remaining population centers before Mr. Stevens would arrive in New SorGun, where his real work would begin.

Update%2022%20-%2014%20region%20view%202.jpg

The history of the destruction of Junction was told to Mr. Stevens over some beers in a saloon he visited while staying in Arrow Ridge.

(click for full size)

Update%2022%20-%2015%20Junction%20overview.jpg

Surprisingly, upon his arrival he found 18 hardy souls picking up the pieces and attempting to salvage something from this lost town. Who knows what this building graveyard would look like ten years from now.

Update%2022%20-%2016%20Junction%20mosaic.jpg

Pushing on, Stevens arrived in a farming community known to the locals as “Ben’s Bend”.

update%2022%20-%2017%20ben%20trip.jpg

Farmer Ben has been working this land since the early days of New SorGun’s founding. Over the years, he’s hired a sizable workforce, and with the help of additional farmers the area has turned into one of the larger agriculture areas in the region.

(click for full size)

Update%2022%20-%2018%20Farmer%20Ben%20overview.jpg

While working the fields isn’t a ticket to fame and riches, it does pay the bills and most of the residents in the area have their own cabins and small homes.

Update%2022%20-%2019%20Farmer%20Ben%20workers%20cabins.jpg

While Mr. Stevens was busy counting the local population, he was lucky enough to meet Mr. Ben and learn all about his farmhouse. The huge evergreen on Ben’s property is always a conversation starter, and Stevens learned that the farmer found the tree while surveying one of his future fields – Being a farmer, Ben was always fascinated by nature and he couldn’t bring himself to take down the largest tree on his property. So, there it stands – a beacon for locals who sometimes get lost in the fields.

Update%2022%20-%2020%20Farmer%20Ben%20house.jpg

Nug’s Hill was Mr. Stevens last stop before he would reach the town of New SorGun.

Update%2022%20-%2021%20nug%20trip.jpg

Old man Nug is the quite type, but that hasn’t stopped him from being busy over the last 10 years.

Update%2022%20-%2022%20Nug%20Hill%20Overview.jpg

Old man Nug and Farmer Ben got together a number of years ago and realized that they could both benefit by building a landing along the river in order to facilitate a quicker way to get people and goods to the town of New SorGun. Around harvest time, the wharf is especially busy.

Update%2022%20-%2023%20docks%20busy.jpg

And on quiet days, it becomes a great place to fish.

Update%2022%20-%2024%20docks%20fishing.jpg

Finally, Mr. Stevens learned why Nug was interested in building a wharf near his hill. The quarry was still in it’s infancy, but already the stone was being used across the region, including just down the river in New SorGun. After meeting the old man, Stevens wasn’t sure he could even spell geology, but it was obvious that Nug knew his land – and he ran the quarry like a pro.

(Massive Mosaic! Click for full size)

Update%2022%20-%2025%20quarry%20mosaic.jpg

The next morning, Mr. Stevens would board one of the barges at the docks and finally reach New SorGun, his toughest job yet. To be continued.

Authors Note: Well, it looks like I got carried away again. I was planning on 10-15 images, and I ended up with about 25. Woops. Hope you enjoyed it. Part 2 of the census will continue next time. Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to comment – I always enjoy hearing what you think.

Replies to the last teaser:

ggamgus: Dun dun duuuunnn! :P BTW, first! :D

If only I could add sound effects to the pics :)

10000000000000:

=O

Good sir, tell me, how many dollars does the helicopter fee cost so that you can go up and take these pictures?

Would that be in 1870 dollars, or today? :)

Mithrik: That's a really nice ridge, SimCoug! :D Looking forward to that census!

Thanks!

Jeroentje: Can't wait to see more!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Benedict: Congratulations, you're back at number one on BTT this week.

Thanks, it's always an honor to be at the top of the BTT.

Kruness: can't wait, i want to see more!!! X(

Thanks!

wittay: I just read through the whole CJ to date. It's a fantastic story, and I can't wait to read more.

Wow, I'm so glad you enjoyed it enough to read the entire thing - thanks for the kind comment!

NMUSpidey: The spot? What spot? Do you need some stain remover? Do they make that in 1870?

Unfortunately this was before Tide...

16 Comments

Recommended Comments

Wow, this is an excellent entry. A census count in 1870s... The plot and the theme is very original, I have to say. :D

[b]Census fact:[/b] New York City has [i]always[/i] been the largest city in the United States, since the first census in the year 1790. Also, the 1790 Census counted less than four million people in the entire U.S., including 700 thousand slaves.

Share this comment

Impressive, there has been some stuff you didn't tell us SimCoug, and it finally get on the spotlight.

And I know that feel of getting carried away, some of my CJ updates end up bigger than expected due to this. :P

Share this comment

I always feel excited when I see you've posted an update :)

Every single picture is truly masterful! I also love how you used the region view photos as a vehicle to move the narrative. Incredible work!

Share this comment

This is absolutely one of the best-looking city journals here on Simtropolis, I love the pictures. The census and information included was very interesting. I'd like to see Junction make a small comeback in the wake of the battle.

Share this comment

I'm guessing with the new quarry we'll be seeing some impressive stone buildings popping up in the near future.As always, great stuff. The attention to detail in both the artistry of your screenshots and the story line is just mind blowing. 25 pics and I'm still left wanting more.

Share this comment

Not just a blow to the mind, but a gale. Incredible job, everything looks so crisp and pristine.

Share this comment

Hey SimCoug, your CJ is so relaxing and wonderful. I just spent so much time soaking in all the detail you've put into making your world and it is absolutely fantastic. Hope you're with us for a long time. While looking at this entry i was listening to the song [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=getHYtUIoCc"]The Long Road by Mark Knopfler[/url], went so damn well!

Share this comment