• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Spedbury

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

14. Spedbury, the dividing line.

Ion_Cannon

First off I just want to thank everyone that viewed, commented, rated and +1'd the last entry. I was rather overwhelmed with how well it was recieved to be honest, so thanks :)

Replies

I was trying to quote everyone, but it won't let me do that, so if I haven't quoted you don't worry about it. -later- And now there are to many emoticons, I may have to change how I do replies I think.

@sHnozZa

The housing estates look amazing. Nothing looks out of place. 5/5

Thanks, I enjoy building them, previously only middle class areas but over time I have come to enjoy building practically any type/wealth of housing.

@dubaidude303 : Thanks for the comment, I intend to.

@MamaLuigi945

I love the use of parks, trees, and all different kinds of custom content. Your suburbs are beautiful with the NWM and SAM roads and streets. 5/5

Cheers, and thanks for the comment, you must have commented on nearly every single update so thank you for that. As for the road networks, I like to mix things up a bit, one day I'll get the hang of the RHW :P

@10000000000000

Amazing! Love the building choice and everything fits together fantastic!

Just one question, how come you changed the name from "The Spire"?

I changed the name from The Spire because that was the previous city I was working on, The Spire is now essentially finished and as The Spire was just one city in the region it didn't make sense to keep the same name. However the region doesn't yet have a name really, so the CJ name reflects the city I am working on most currently, which is by far Spedbury :)

@Keder : Thanks :)

@Hazani Pratama : The people living in the slum areas don't think so, but as far as urban decay goes it has a certain aesthetic quality :P Thanks for the comment.

@Aaron Graham : Thanks Aaron, but none of this would be possible without people such as yourself making content for people to use, so you have my thanks. There probably isn't quite so much of your content in this update, you should BAT some industrials to remedy that :P

@greenbearcub

That city looks great and it's feel is awsome. What is that building in the third picture to the far left. (red brick with solar panels on top)

That is the TSC Ecological Building, you can find it here -

@Jetty Jockey

A very realistic mix. I also enjoy that you preserve enough green spaces within your city . Quite scenic !

Thanks for the comment, I'm going for the green but urban look and I think I have succeeded, besides people aren't robots, they need room to breathe. I'm not happy with my park creating skills yet though.

@Zulu2065 : Thanks Zulu :)

@Jamonbread : Thanks for the comment :)

@newyorka : Thanks, however you'll need to be a bit more specific in regards to housing, I have many many plugins. The marina/dock can be found here - http://www.simpeg.co...ownloads;cat=35 you'll need to register to download.

@Markus J

I am curious, how much have you finished of this region/city? It looks impressive.

The region has been in the works since 2010, hence the quality of the region varies alot, currently the regional population is 25,645,000 approx. Spedbury has 277,000 at the time of writing this. The city is probably around 60% finished, I still have a lot of land to build on :)

@david030400 : Nah, nothing is perfect, but thanks anyway :)

@aparrot7 : Thanks, I'm glad you like the style :)

@emogreen07 : I wouldn't have said it was "planned" I have an idea of what I want to do but its pretty spontaneous really, I don't plan out any networks beforehand I just go with the flow, though this does have its drawbacks, sometimes I have to delete a lot of stuff because I can't fit in what I wanted to fit in, anyway, thank you for the comment :)

@jc joopy : Where did I find the first one? I'm not quite sure what you mean, if you tell me which pic it's in then I can give you the link. The big factory can be found here - http://sc4devotion.c...php?lotGET=2578, thanks for the comment :)

@city89 : Sure, you can find that here - http://sc4devotion.c...php?lotGET=2578

@Cobra_nVidia : Thanks, I certainly wouldn't mind living here, on the nice side of course :)

@SimGuy23

Idk why, I just ditched SimCity 4 in late June, and then picked up RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 the night I went to the amusement park. I haven't played SC4 since. This makes me wanna play again. Very nice.

I go on and off Simcity myself rather often, I think most of us do, and like you, I usually pick it back up when I see something impressive in CJ's or "show us your" threads. So I'm glad my CJ was that spark, thanks for the comment :)

@SimCitySuperFan : Thanks, I upload them on an external image hosting website, in my case thats http://photobucket.com/, then you link the pictures directly into the CJ.

@paulvmontfort

yippee, Always nice to see my latest creations being used in a CJ . I love the setting, great job

I'm sure I won't be the only one, they're very nice buildings and the lotting by T Wrecks is also top notch. They fit so well into that pocket of affluence that I couldn't not use them, was a little problematic to grow though, thanks for the comment :)

@Lloyd0728 : I wouldn't worry about it to much, it takes time to learn how all the custom content fits together, what goes with what, and with more coming out all the time it's a constant learning experience, thanks for the comment :)

@Benedict

Well-received indeed - the response to this update propelled your CJ to number one on BTT this week.

Thanks, made for a nice little suprise after the hassle of moving house :)

@grstudios

Congrats on getting 1# on Ben's Top Ten! It really suits this so great CJ... Wish you many more beautiful creations, and no SC4 bugs/crashes for the near future.

Best regards,

Guy

Thanks, SC4 bugs, not so much. SC4 Crashes? To many to count :P

Update

A rather large update today, so apologies if you don't have much bandwidth.

The plan was to alternate the type of area shown each update, but as with many things the reality is a little different. I kept running out of ideas and going back to the "nicer" areas, and as such this update is really 50/50. So I suppose it has something for everyone. I've also experimented with an older area of buildings, and while I like it I'm not sure I will actually keep it. Anyway, less talk and more pictures I think, as always click the pictures for full 1680x1050 resolution.

We'll start in the poorer districts, this council goods depo was recently constructed on land previously occupied with an old factory, which arsonists burnt down.

Spedbury_Update2_Img1.jpg

Some of the surrounding housing projects,including the massive Ashbury house, constructed in 1973 to house 4,800 people.

Spedbury_Update2_Img2.jpg

The area is dominated by a huge ironworks and ore processing facility, the blast furnaces burn 24/7 and the twin chimmneys have become local landmarks.

Spedbury_Update2_Img4.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img9.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img5.jpg

This once busy motorway seperates the housing areas of Northolt from the heavy industry of Workington.

Spedbury_Update2_Img7.jpg

In some places old factorys have remained standing, and are now surrounded with low quality housing.

Spedbury_Update2_Img6.jpg

More heavy industry lies on the other side of the A556.

Spedbury_Update_Img3.jpg

A few overviews of the main industrial areas and housing projects.

Spedbury_Update2_Img23.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img3.jpg

Spedbury_Update-Img23.jpg

The huge VW car factory and Blenish freight yard.

Spedbury_Update2_Img8.jpg

The previous main street of this neighbourhood can be seen to the upper side of the 60's concrete dual carriageway.

Spedbury_Update_Img9.jpg

Now we come to the dividing line, stepping accross the railway line is like entering a different city (Well okay, driving or walking under)

Spedbury_Update_Img10.jpg

This area known as Fitz-Bellgrovia is the old merchants quarters, the old houses were recently done up and now fetch a pretty price on the housing market, the large imperial-era buildings also underwent extensive sandblasting and renovation.

Spedbury_Update2_Img12.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img14.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img13.jpg

We're now heading into the commercial heart of the city, which is charmingly located along the old canals. In the last few years extensive traffic free cycleways have also been constructed along the canals.

Spedbury_Update2_Img11.jpg

Spedbury_Update_Img21.jpg

Spedbury_Update_Img24.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img18.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img17.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img16.jpg

Spedbury_Update2_Img15.jpg

In some places the old high street remains, though with some additions usually.

Spedbury_Update2_Img19.jpg

This large shopping centre is situated on the outskirts of the commercial area and is popular enough to have its own purpose built rail station.

Spedbury_Update2_Img20.jpg

And lastly some middle class suburbia with a well performing school.

Spedbury_Update_Img22.jpg

EDIT: I've done it again, I was sure I had uploaded this image, but I guess not. It shows in greater detail the partially sunken railway junction I mentioned in the comments.

Spedbury_Update2_Img25.jpg

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed this update, please comment, criticise and +1 as you see fit :)

25 Comments

Recommended Comments

I can't believe what I'm seeing ! It's just incredible, amazing. I'd like so much to visit your industrial areas, I haven't seen something more realistic than it yet.

Share this comment

First comment ever, I just had to say something about this journal. I've been looking at these for years and this one takes the cake, so ultra realistic yet so beautifully crafted. This is a work of freaking art!

Share this comment

Nice bleak industrial city scape--kind of reminds me of old East German cities in the 90s when the first little bits of Western modernity were breaking through. I also love your selection of industrial buildings... what's that cool one with the two towers on the facade in the first screen shot?

Share this comment

I am speechless... If it was an option I would bow down + remove my hat while I bow. Well, an emoticon is the other option to show my appreciation: :thumb: +1 5/5
Now I understand why it took you 6 weeks to upload another great update. Keep it up, I LOVE your style.

Share this comment

I'll answer replies fully here because I'm not sure when I will be able to get the next update out due to university starting and other things, anyway..
[quote name='Altec' timestamp='1346871822']
I can't believe what I'm seeing ! It's just incredible, amazing. I'd like so much to visit your industrial areas, I haven't seen something more realistic than it yet.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like my industrial areas :)

[quote name='Blakeway' timestamp='1346885198']
I really love what I'm seeing! Continue the great work! :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment, I'll try my best to do so, though it may be a while before I am able to create another update :(

[quote name='Schulmanator' timestamp='1346896382']
Nice work! This is well done. :D
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Schulmanator :)

[quote name='catatonicchorus' timestamp='1346903126']
First comment ever, I just had to say something about this journal. I've been looking at these for years and this one takes the cake, so ultra realistic yet so beautifully crafted. This is a work of freaking art!
[/quote]

Thank you very much, it means a lot that this is the first journal you've commented on, I love creating this stuff but I also love seeing people enjoy what I have created :)

[quote name='daTSchikinhed' timestamp='1346904278']
You have the most amazing cities. I could look at them for hours..
[/quote]

Thanks daTS :) I probably do :P At times getting the right picture can be a pain though, there are other things I would like to sometimes show, but because of the nature of development areas in such a picture would be undeveloped, which ruins the effect of a large seamless city. I suppose thats what the "show us your" threads are for :)

[quote name='mertzigzag' timestamp='1346904346']
Nice bleak industrial city scape--kind of reminds me of old East German cities in the 90s when the first little bits of Western modernity were breaking through. I also love your selection of industrial buildings... what's that cool one with the two towers on the facade in the first screen shot?
[/quote]

I tend to model things on British industrial sites, or at least the ideas behind them anyway, I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't too disimilar to comparable areas in East Germany. You can find that building here - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=595 have a look at the rest of jestarr's content while you're at it, it's all very high quality and thanks for the comment :)

[quote name='hammysonata' timestamp='1346907581']
Your industrial areas and railways are beyond amazing. Truly beautiful! :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment, I'm particularily happy with the large rail interchange which is partly sunken, was a pain to get right but oh so worth it :) It's not entirely clear in these pictures though, but I think you should know which bit I'm talking about :)

[quote name='Topgun232' timestamp='1346909468']
You deserve this rep. Shut up and take it.
[/quote]

Well, if you insist.. I suppose I could :P Thanks for the comment (and the rep)

[quote name='Hazani Pratama' timestamp='1346914253']
Really Fantastic!
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment :)

[quote name='deadmanWNC' timestamp='1346927633']
WOW!!!! The water in the residential areas, how how you build the edges and walkways right close, it just looks so real. What have you used?
[/quote]

I haven't used any fancy lotting or photoediting, it's simply these bats :) - http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=447 - Thanks for the comment :)

Share this comment

Because of the 10 quote limit I have to doublepost, ah well..

[quote name='grstudios' timestamp='1346928351']
I am speechless... If it was an option I would bow down + remove my hat while I bow. Well, an emoticon is the other option to show my appreciation: :thumb: +1 5/5
Now I understand why it took you 6 weeks to upload another great update. Keep it up, I LOVE your style.
[/quote]

It didn't exactly take 6 weeks :P 2 of those weeks I was on holiday, 2 I was moving house and all that entails, and the other 2 weeks I finally got some ideas and set about building them :) Thanks for the comment.

[quote name='LastTrueChamp' timestamp='1346949859']
Great style of buldings! They mix very well together.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment, it takes a while to grow everything but it certainly feels satisfying to do so. I like mixing the styles up, though within reason, and I have to admit not all of those Mattb regency terraces grew, it was simply taking to long.

[quote name='rjamesp' timestamp='1346953461']
amazing
[/quote]

Thank you :)

Share this comment

Something for everyone, indeed,! And all beautiful in thier own way. From the gritty industrial areas with bleak worker housing to your upscale suburbs and commercial areas, this update is a feast !

Share this comment

Okay, I'm like an entire year late for this comment...But this really great industrial zone deserves praise. Even if it's 1 year late. A M A Z I N G :D

Share this comment

Okay, I'm like an entire year late for this comment...But this really great industrial zone deserves praise. Even if it's 1 year late. A M A Z I N G :D

As they say better late than never :)

I'd love to get back to this at some point, and I do work on it a little from time to time but my new job takes up most of my free time. Maybe in a year eh :P

Share this comment