Thessaloniki

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Project TREX: The Largest Freeway Expansion to Date

AIX

Hello Simtropians and Thessalonians! Today I have some images of the very first completed phase of Project TREX (Transportation Expansion). The final project will encompass about 26 km of highway with the ultimate goal to maintain these basic standards through out the entire project area:

* Both Express (High Speed) and Local Access lanes

* Minimum of of 3 Express lanes and 2 Local Access lanes in each direction

* Safety features designed to allow speeds of up to 200 km/h on Express Lanes and 125 km/h on Local Access Lanes

* Funding for this project is being provided by the federal government under the condition that a right-of-way is left open to allow for future construction of high-speed rail

Eventually all limited-access highways in the region will be upgraded to these standards as need and growth permits (except the downtown M3 Bypass).

First, here is an overview map showing the project area. The green portion is Phase 1 and is already complete.

TREXmap.jpg

We placed Phase I in the city of Meteora because this is the busiest section on the entire project. In addition, the existing right-of-way is the wider in this area than anywhere else on the project, so minimal demolition was necessary. Below is an aerial of the section.

Currently, the Local Access and Express lanes merge into a single standard highway at the borders of Meteora. Once other sections are completed, that will no longer be the case.

TREX.jpg

Lastly, here is an old file image of the area before construction. There were Express Lanes here before the project, but on a much smaller scale.

18apr1M.jpg

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Wow, very impressive city, and the freeway is lookin' really good :) But I think there might be one to many Coit towers though... :P

Share this comment

I hate Coit Towers, believe me. After the freeway project, I have some large scale urban renewal planned. ;-)

Share this comment