• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Year Three

Sign in to follow this  
nedal2001

Year Three

The biggest happening in Year Three was, bar none, the commencement of service by Desera Airlines. Having taken delivery of a brand new Airbus 320-200, the airline began flying to six destinations: London, Paris, Dakar, Abidjan, Accra, and Lagos. The European destinations were twice weekly non-stop flights, called flights NA0001 and NA0002. The third flight, NA0003, was Kafra-Dakar-Abidjan-Dakar-Kafra, operated once a week to the two francophone capitals of West Africa. The final flight, serving Accra and Lagos, was also flown once a week to the two largest English speaking cities in West Africa.

The airline was heralded as a huge success by the Desera Council, and saw almost maximum capacity in each of its flights since it began operating. The Royal President Sidebe Mallam flew in the inaugural flight to London, arriving in the United Kingdom for the first time in hopes of finding investment to further increase the oil production in Desera. The West African flights saw many foreign traders coming in to invest in the new country, having heard of the low taxes and lack of import duty. Overall, the airline was, indeed, a resounding success and a project well done by the Ministry of Transportation and the Desara Aviation Authority, one that brought in the admiration and approval of the Royal President.

nesaraairlines2.jpg

Kafra’s population during Year Three had jumped from 1,231 to 5,183 – a remarkable rate of growth that had the town’s population more than quadruple in just twelve months. Most of the development were small clay and tin houses that were extremely cheap to construct, and were done without the approval of the Desera Council or acquiring the land they sat on. For the time being, the council was turning a blind eye towards these happenings, in hopes of continuing the expansion of the town.

In the southern part of the town, closest to the coast, the houses constructed were mostly by fishermen who had found the comfort of life in Kafra much kinder than the harsh life in the rural desert. Every morning, hundreds of small wooden boats would come in from the Atlantic with fresh fish, the market of which could be found on Masjid Street, opposite the newly constructed Kafra Church of Peace. The nicer part of town was more central - whenever a land was sold legally through the government, the Desera Council would send out the Kafra Police to clear the plot of any illegal dwellers, but they would simply move to an area further out and construct yet another illegal house.

Speaking the Kafra Church of Peace, its construction was an initiative taken by the Desera Council to make sure that the small but growing Christian population in the country had a place of worship. In an effort to show solidarity between its people, it chose to construct the church just opposite the Bahr Mosque, on the corner of Masjid Street and 1st Street. The project cost around E5 million to be completed and was aptly named the Kafra Church of Peace, a symbolic name that stood for the Deseran hope that they would always have peace.

4kaframosqueandchurch.jpg

The Kafra Church of Peace and Bahr Mosque.

Another project that the Desera Council, through the Ministry of Finance, was the Bank of Desera, on the corner of Mallam Road and the newly constructed Bank Street. It was situated just opposite the Independence Hall, and was the first financial institution to be operation in the country. It was own fully by the Desera Council, and at the time of its completion, it was the most modern building in the entire country, save for Terminal One at the Kafra International Airport.

4kafrabankandhall.jpg

The Bank of Desera and Independence Hall.

It was not all rosy behind the scenes, however – constant bickering between the tribal leaders in the Desera Council had left the Royal President in a bind. He was finding it impossible to please everyone, and some were even raising silent accusations that the Royal President was favoring his Mallam tribe more than the others. The Desera Council needed order and control, but that was difficult to do without alienating some of the tribes. In order for the council to continue to succeed, there had to be representatives of the majority of the tribes, especially the larger ones. It was still at a point where the bickering was just that, but if the disagreements continued, then the consequences would be more dire, especially as the country began to flourish.

For what it was worth, however, they were doing a decent job in Kafra and beyond. Small settlements were getting power and running water, as well as local representative offices of the Desera Council all over the country. In Kafra, even the illegal houses were all connected to the grid, they were putting a lot of money into developing the road network within the town to further facilitate its planned growth. They had also finally put in plans to begin construction on the Kafra Preparatory School and the Kafra Public Hospital. Education would be free to the public save for the E100 enrollment fee, but healthcare would not be. In response to that, however, the government would introduce the National Health Insurance (NHI), which would grant free healthcare for anyone registered with it.

The Royal President’s trip to Europe to bring in further investment into the country went reasonably well – his main aim was to increase the production of oil from 5,000 barrels a day to at least 10,000, and it looked like it was going to be able to happen. Although Desera was still seeing surpluses in its budgets (at the end of Year Three, it had around E500 million), it was also undertaking small projects that did not cost much. In order to develop the country, it would take a lot more than what they were making now to help facilitate that, and for that to happen, more oil needed to be exported.

4kafraseaportlookingnor.jpg

The Kafra Seaport, looking north.

4kafralookingsouth.jpg

Central Kafra, looking south.

4kafraaeriallookingwest.jpg

Kafra, looking west.

4kafraaeriallookingsout.jpg

Kafra, looking south.

4kafrafaraeriallookings.jpg

Aerial of Kafra, looking south.

4kafrafaraeriallookingn.jpg

Aerial of Kafra, looking north.

4kafracentalartistic.jpg

Artistic shot of Kafra.

4kaframosaic.jpg

Mosaic of Kafra.

Sign in to follow this  

10 Comments

Recommended Comments

It's a cool blend of styles, I'd hate for you to think I was complaining! You have a very good-looking journal, the growth seems natural and the flora is stunning. I will certainly continue watching this one!

Share this comment

[quote name='NMUSpidey' timestamp='1346417728']
It's a cool blend of styles, I'd hate for you to think I was complaining! You have a very good-looking journal, the growth seems natural and the flora is stunning. I will certainly continue watching this one!
[/quote]

Thanks all!

NMUSpidey - not at all! I understand that the building is not typical of your desert/arabic style setting. Then again, as I stated before, I kinda just want to go with the flow and not really tie myself down to a specific style of architecture! It could be a disaster, but its the direction I feel I want to go :)

Share this comment