• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Detroit, Michigan

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Update 16: Oak Park, and part 1 of Southfield Michigan.

Sign in to follow this  
Harden

@Jacob Eminem forever man.

@IL "Good as always!" Why thanks!

Oak Park

Oak Park had its first settlers in the area around 1840. It was first a part of Royal Oak Township. The area was sparsely populated for many decades after. Housing first started to boom in 1914, and Oak Park was incorporated as a city in 1945. It was once one of America's fastest growing cities, as well as many many many other Detroit Suburbs during that time. Population in 1950 was 5,267, and in 1960 it jumped over 500% to 36,632. The peak population was just a little bit over that in the 1970 census. In 2010, the population was 29,319. In 2002 and 2004, Oak Park annexed several neighborhoods of Royal Oak.

Here is an intersection in Oak Park, 9 Mile Road and Coolidge Highway: (I did not plop any of the buildings you see.)

4c30014e.png

Southfield:

I will be featuring only a south-eastern part of Southfield, but this part is a part of Southfield's commercial center in which it is known for. Southfield's motto is "The Center of It All", as it kind of is geographically in the middle of the Detroit Metro. The land was surveyed in 1817 by Lewis Cass, and then in 1823, Southfield saw it's first settlers. It was first known as Ossewa in 1830, but was changed to Southfield seventeen days later, named after the "south fields" of Bloomington Township. The area stayed as Southfield Township for a while. During the 1950's, small villages began to develop in the township, such as Lathrup Village and Beverly Hills. The area that was left of the township become incorporated as the city of Southfield in 1958. Southfield has over 27 million square feet of office space. (I'm not sure how much office space Downtown Detroit has, but wiki says that Southfield surpasses Downtown Detroit. We all know wiki is not always right, but It might be true.) Southfield's peak population is 78,322 in 2000, in 2010 it was 71,758.

Here is 9 Mile and Greenfield, and the tall office buildings you see are in there accurate places, and so is the hospital and apartment complexes:

b4855a28.png

Here is Northland Shopping center, which you could also call a mall, located right by Greenfield, 8 Mile, and the Lodge Freeway. (Lodge Freeway is still a sunken freeway this far north, and I made 8 Mile into an elevated highway for an interchange with the Lodge.)

a453be13.png

I've seen some requests that people want to see certain areas, such as Palmer Woods, (A very wealthy section of Detroit for those who don't know,) That part is struggling to develop mansions in SC4, as someone else was curios on how the development process has been going. I'd say that growing mansions in the wealthy parts has been extremely difficult. I will show what I have so far of the Palmer Woods and Detroit Golf Club area:

a6c4d6c5.png

dc616057.png

4fbd1530.png

Sign in to follow this  

4 Comments

Recommended Comments

It's funny because I was just looking at that location yesterday and noticed how huge the parking lots were in real life at Greenfield and 8 Mile.... and you've matched it up pretty well, nice job!

Do you have American Jewelry and Loan in there too? :P

Share this comment

[quote name='k50' timestamp='1346021844']
It's funny because I was just looking at that location yesterday and noticed how huge the parking lots were in real life at Greenfield and 8 Mile.... and you've matched it up pretty well, nice job!

Do you have American Jewelry and Loan in there too? :P
[/quote]

actually.... I do. lmfao

Share this comment

8 mile and Greenfield? about two miles away from my house ( 7 and evergreen).

Little known fact. Northland is the oldest mall in america!

( i like your CJ so far, keep it up)

Share this comment