• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

USA redux part 2

chimeran

Seabed level  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I simply smooth the seabed to allow future use for land ?

• YES, there is a lot of usable real estate and I will create my own landmasses
    • NO, I want the whales to show up so lower the seafloor

so here is the second installment and this is what i have so far in day 2 of doing a major overhaul of the USA map. as you can see in the overview the smoothed out area is a lot greener than the rest (upper left) and while the rest of the map looks more detailed b/c it is but it's mostly unplayable in it's current version. most of the shorelines have been done and should have softer beaches but will tackle the great lakes either later today or tomorrow.

here is a hint of the new and improved shoreline. it's a lot more cleaner and softer than the beta
806fc8fa.png

the biggest problem w/the beta is it's unplayablity, note the extreme dips and hills which will make you tear your hair out trying to play this
d63f5db9.png

so using the smooth tool in SC4T i've reduced most of the hills and dips. notice the difference between the left and the right
0d0c035a.png

but there will be watoosies since it's hard to see what the finished product will look like in SC4T but a few quick passes w/the plains tool in SC4 should correct it in-game once you load it
321486cc.png

i am going to try and leave most of the mountain ranges in but smooth them out so if you have sims crazy enough to live up there you can do it (creator note: would be great for the PEG ski resort). of course you can do whatever you wish once it's finished
ffb540d5.png

but there is problem w/the ocean area and that is that when i worked on the beta i had to raise the terrain by 200 which brought up the seafloor greatly,  i used the valley tool to create a quick dip near the shoreline to see the difference and it's huge
b37a5b64.png

a closer view
9f34cdda.png

realistically i could have this reworked version out by next weekend if i spend a lot of time smoothing everything out while trying to keep most of the lakes and streams but some will not make it in due to time constraints. and since i've only have five votes so far for this map to be reworked so it won't be a high priority for me right now and i'm spending all my time doing this instead of playing my region.

There is a poll to vote on what I should do about the seabed.  I can lower it completely which will be time consuming but will give it a little more realism or i can smooth it out so there's not too many bumps and you simply create your own landmasses w/o having to wait forever for the land to break sea level since there will be a lot of ocean tiles.  the choice is in your hands.

5 Comments

Recommended Comments

[quote name='poshbakerloo' timestamp='1345980790']
What happens with New York? it looks like Long Island isn't an island lol
[/quote]

i had to make a choice between playability or realism and there's really no way to do both b/c of the limitations of the terraforming tools and how much time i can invest in this map since it's 20x12 large city tiles. i can't even put in the grand canyon b/c the valley tools automatically fill the gouges w/water so it's out. and since this based off a satellite photo some land/water features won't be present.

Share this comment

Looks pretty darned good. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, have you considered using the mayor's terraforming tools for detail work ? I was able to use them fairly effectively for a lot of the small scale work on my Cape May map. Simply start a city on easy mode ( giving a nice amount of cash to work with), When done, or in need of more cash for terraforming use the god mode destroy city to reset the cash and timer. The mayor mode tools ( especially when used with the -Ctl key) offer a lot more control for fine-tuning your map.

Share this comment

[quote name='Jetty Jockey' timestamp='1346011781']
Looks pretty darned good. Depending on how much effort you want to put into it, have you considered using the mayor's terraforming tools for detail work ? I was able to use them fairly effectively for a lot of the small scale work on my Cape May map. Simply start a city on easy mode ( giving a nice amount of cash to work with), When done, or in need of more cash for terraforming use the god mode destroy city to reset the cash and timer. The mayor mode tools ( especially when used with the -Ctl key) offer a lot more control for fine-tuning your map.
[/quote]

i've tried the mayor mode tools and using it to create streams is challenging, so i'll simply use SC4T and as for the effort to make it as realistic and accurate as possible will take 6 months to a year and i don't have that kind of time and i'm not doing this for me but for others to play it but thanks for the tips

Share this comment