• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

United States Map (you'll never own this)

chimeran

this map took forever to make and will never be on the STEX b/c of a few purists who have nothing better to do than complain.

at 20x14 large city tiles it's completely accurate in scale and the nonsense that anybody can make this map is exactly that : nonsense

i crashed my computer 3 times trying to extract the continental US from the world map and since i don't have $1000 for photoshop i'm

stuck with mspaint and the world map is a resource hog. i have 6 gigs of RAM, 100 gigs of virtual memory and 16 gigs for readyboost and

the world map eats up 80% of my RAM in mspaint.

in it's current form it's unplayable and would need extensive cosmetic surgery to plain out the bumps and i'm pretty sure the US and

canada don't have that many mountains so those would have to be taken out. still haven't heard jack from NHP for any help on map

making so i'll do it myself and learn as i go.

for those lucky enough to download United States 1.0 you will need to raise the terrain by 200 to have all the landmass from the

greyscale and for those who didn't get a chance to download it, go bother NHP and see if they have a map of the continental US.

i'll probably won't do anything with this map b/c the cosmetic surgery will probably take at least 1 day possibly 3 to keep all the

smaller lakes intact and i would have to bottom out the ocean areas b/c you can't see it in the pic but the ocean floor is close to

the surface

the only way i might work on this map is if ussoldier2002 asks me for a playable version other than that, have a nice day

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Really neat looking, and I can't wait to see the map after the cosmetic surgery, because places like Florida, Detroit, and Wisconsin don't have steep cliffs along the shorelines.

Share this comment

[quote name='Harden' timestamp='1343629103']
Really neat looking, and I can't wait to see the map after the cosmetic surgery, because places like Florida, Detroit, and Wisconsin don't have steep cliffs along the shorelines.
[/quote]

it will be awhile before i decide to work on it unless i get copies of dd-214's or enough people request it. i only made this b/c of another member who wanted something like this so i pulled out the trusty world map, cut out the US, made the greyscale and rendered it.

Share this comment

[quote name='16minuteman' timestamp='1343696600']
let me play it i have 8gb of ram?
[/quote]

here is the beta but it's unplayable in its current version and i don't have the time to smooth out everything, good luck

[url="http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27889-united-states-beta/"]http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27889-united-states-beta/[/url]

Share this comment