Maryborough

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

New Directions

Retep Molinari

flowRoot2985-1.png

This CJ will explore the process of transforming a 10-year-old, vanilla SC4 region (made by a ST member) using urban development and a wealth of user-created plugins. Feedback, suggestions, and interaction are highly encouraged. For example, you can see that I respond to each and every comment...

MamaLuigi945: Thank you for the advice! Balancing the budget is really hard. A challenge is that really inefficient buildings are all over the city. For example, rather than a high or mid-capacity elementary school, 4 small Maxis schools will be on one block, all with their own school buses. There were 72 on the main tile alone! Also, you have every single roadway paved as a road; no streets! So problems like that need to be worked out.

Jimmy Buzaid: Oh yes, the NAM is a mainstay of all of my cities.

TekindusT: It has been harder in some ways that I didn't expect at first. I am also trying to avoid just bulldozing perfectly good blocks; I am trying to keep this realistic. And the cost issues are amazing and, yet , realistic.

Schulmanator: Thanks! I hope you stick around and see how it goes. I'll always appreciate your feedback.

On August 22 10, 2010, late in the ongoing mayoral campaign, Emily Maxwell entered the race.

She was an unlikely contender. A Democrat representing the Hampton district, she switched to the Green Party after the primaries to challenge the two-party system that hadn’t delivered anything to Maryborough in decades.

4288508916_6b30fe1351_z.jpg

At her campaign launch, she outlined her plan for the city:

1. Support and develop business districts and communities

• Make human-scale streets and urban landscapes.

• Daylight Wapato Creek as a canal and business district.

• Build and rebuild parks, schools, colleges, and civic buildings.

The freeway under which the Wapato Creek runs.

BigCity-Mar.%252027%252C%25204651342450887.png

2. Rebuild the transportation system

• Revitalize useful subway lines and abandon others.

• From scratch, build tram, bus, and bike routes.

• Remove underused highways for better land use.

An old freight rail line. Future commuter line?

Outskirts-Feb.%25201%252C%2520821342491156.png

An artist's rendering of a bike path.

Crosstownbikeways2.jpg

3. Create a utility system for 21st century sustainability goals

• Develop a new water delivery and sanitation system, including recycled water

• Create a landfill diversion system, including compost manufacturing for local farms.

• Build clean power sources.

A skeptical voter meets with Emily Maxwell.

3696541337_32632c5ee6.jpg

Will Maxwell make it? Stay tuned to see what goes down next!

And as always, your comments and wishes are appreciate!

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

The bike path picture is actually not too far off from what I saw in the next town's local newspaper when they were first putting the paths in. It's pretty spot-on. I like where this is going. Some more pictures would have been nice. :)

Share this comment