• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

2-9 : South Seaville

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

In today's update we look at the village of South Seaville, in central Dennis Township

sseavillelocate.jpg

In the late 1600s- early 1700s, the colonial government was becoming concerned about the isolation of Cape May County. Without ties to the rest of the colony, the region was becoming a haven for pirates and smugglers. So in 1702 it was decided by the colonial government in Burlington to extend the Kings Highway from its southern end in Salem to Cape May, in an attempt to get area residents more involved with the workings of the colony. Completed in 1715, a stagecoach line was set up and mail and passenger service commenced. This led to Cape May becoming a popular vacation resort for those wishing to trade the summer heat and humidity of colonial Philadelphia ( at the time, the largest American city) for cool ocean breezes. Over the years, much of the King's Highway in the county has been absorbed into other road networks, but a small stretch from Mount Pleasant to Clermont remains. With the coming of the railroads in the 1860s, South Seaville became an important railhead for the logging industry that provided fuel to the glassworks and iron industries in the other parts of New Jersey. As land was cleared, it became farmland. With the demise of the railroads in the mid 20th century and the shift in traffic to the major roadways east and west of the town, South Seaville has dwindled to a rustic farming community.

southseville.jpg

Much of the town sits at the intersection of Kings Highway and Dennisville Road. Gracetown Road loops off to the west and rejoins Dennisville Road south of the town. Main Street heads east from the intersection and connects to US Highway 9 in neighboring Ocean View.

southseaville.jpg

Center of town.

mainst.jpg

Main Street, looking east from the Kings Highway intersection

gracefarms.jpg

Farmland west of town along Gracetown Road.

turffarm.jpg

At the intersection of Gracetown Road and Dennisville Road is the Novasack Turf farm.

simturf.jpg

Here they grow a specialized blend of Kentucky bluegrass and fescue that thrives in the region's sandy soil. It is reputed to be able to grow on sand or gravel.

turfharvest.jpg

An "instant lawn" being harvested and prepared for shipment.

sswind.jpg

Another wind plant on Dennisville Road.

simpinesgolf.jpg

Built in 1991, The Pines at Clermont is a 9 hole executive golf course located in the forests of eastern Dennis Township. It is one of Cape May County's many golf courses.

pinesphotocard.jpg

Replies :

SimCoug : Thanks for your support and encouragement ! Perhaps sometime in the future I can tinker with some alternate views, but at the moment I'm trying my hand at something new each week. This week is the ArtGolf golf course. It scales so much better than some of the other offerings I've seen on the STEX and I just love the results so far. I'm also getting to the point where I have to do a crash course in learning the Real Highway Mod, as I'm approaching the tiles through which the Garden State Parkway runs through.

coryreinhardt : Scale can be a tricky thing. It took me three tries to finally get the scale right ( more if you want to count the attempts made in SC2000 and SC 30000 ) . I took a gridded section of tract housing and worked from there. A block was 5 tiles (street, back to back 1x2 residential) . A small tile is 64x64, medium 128x128 , and a large tile 256x256. I made a template for each type of tile, figured from a small tile being the width of 13 blocks, and superimposed that over a county street map bought at a convenience store. When using a medium or large tile, I placed a grid of streets down seperating them into small tiles (64x64) , to make them less cumbersome to work with. Seems that everything fits now. I hope this helps some.

Simul8ter8 : Thank you very much for the comment.

NMUSpidey : Yes, Cape May County is a lot different than the rest of New Jersey. Part of it is due to its isolation. The major cities are over an hour's drive away , and only 2 metropolitan areas with a population over 100,000 within 30 miles of the county line (Atlantic City-Hammonton at 234,000 and the Vineland-Millville area at 157,000 ). Pretty amazing when you consider the state of New Jersey has over 8 million people in an area 150 miles x 50 miles. Even with a ferry connection to Lewes, Delaware, ( across Delaware Bay, 19 miles south of Cape May Point ), not many people pass through the region on thier way to somewhere else. It's sort of like living on the end of a giant dead end street. And yes , you did comment once back in the terraforming section. Don't be a stranger !

MilitantRadical : Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment . It means a lot.

Sign in to follow this  

6 Comments

Recommended Comments

Could South Seaville's 'downtown' be any more confusing. HA! Funny thing is, a lot of towns in real life have those, we'll call them 'unique' intersections. Oh..... great work once again though! You are probably my favorite city journal, just an FYI. :)

Share this comment

Really nice.. really like the choice on KY bluegrass.. I live in central KY.. Blugrass is out everywhere :) Nice work!

Share this comment

Consider me a stranger no more. Fabulous work here, undertaking the recreation of such a rural area requires patience and flora skills I can only admire. That's pretty amazing isolation considering all the major urban centers located in that general area, from Boston all the way down to Baltimore/Washington DC. I can top the isolation, but Upper Michigan is kind of cheating!

Share this comment

Great entry once again. I still can't get over how nice you make the FAR roads look. And that intersection in town is just great road work. 5/5 for me.

Share this comment