• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Guaracay

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The "New CBD" in Santa Leon

panthersimcity4

Replies: (I've decided to do them in updates since it's easier.)

dubaidude303, NMUSpidey, Jetty Jockey: Thank you!

elavery: Yea, I just noticed that too. I think because I used a lot of ploppables that there isn't much traffic. There tends to be more traffic in my more growable cities like Santa Leon, which has growable residential areas. However most, if not all, of the high-rise commercial buildings are plopped because I'm a control freak when it comes to city skylines. :lol: I did add some traffic generators though to the city, because I agree that the pics will look better with a little bit of traffic.

Evillions: Much of this CJ is inspired by my trip last year to Peru. Parapilla has a slight inspiration from the Miraflores part of Lima, but it's also based on pictures of cities and beach resorts in Venezuela. In particular, Barcelona (not in Spain, but the city in Venezuela) was inspiring.

mosaica.jpg

Note: You did not see the blurred out area. You have ignored it and completely forgotten you saw it. :P

I call it "New CBD" in quotes because it's a commercial district outside the traditional CBD of Santa Leon. It's the area on the Avenida de los Ocupantes (Avenue of Occupants), which was historically an area of inns, pubs and brothels. Today, it's considered the "Wall Street" of the small nation, with many of the wealthiest and most powerful corporations having their fancy glass-covered skyscraper offices located here.

devel3.jpg

At the top of the mosaic is the first structure that was built in this area... a large commercial complex with a tower and multiple buildings around it. It was constructed in the late 1990s during the start of an economic boom in the country. The tallest building on the avenue, and in the city as a whole, is the blue skyscraper with the diagonal things. (Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know the wording. But hey! Don't judge. :P) It was built in 2007 is home to another one of those generic international banking companies, HSomethingBC Bank of something. Although that skyscraper is a bit more typical in design, the nearby Torre BancoGuaracay is the darker tower with the unusual shape, is more unique. Its construction was just finished 5 months ago.

devel2.jpg

As you can see, the area has some interesting contrasts. City planners initially disliked the idea of smaller houses being dwarfed next to taller commercial skyscrapers. However, these houses will likely be demolished in favor of high-rise condominiums. Land value and real estate prices have increased massively in the past decade, due to the lack of space in the area and economic growth.

devel1.jpg

Finally, here's an artsy black and white picture, for all you hipsters our there. ;)

artsy1.jpg

Also, here's a peek of what has been keeping me busy, and inspired, in the past week. None other than Tropico 4, with the Modern Times expansion pack. Me gusta. Me gusta, mucho.

0074snt.jpg

0089hb.jpg

I've also decided to start a Tumblr (well, everyone else is doing it, why not me? :lol:) But I'll share pictures of video games and stuff that I do, including more pictures of Tropico 4.

7 Comments

Recommended Comments

Very well written! I'm not sure how you keep up with so much development! :) I hate to see what the traffic looks like during rush hour with all of those skyscrapers? Does this city have a downtown? Or am I looking at it??

Share this comment

[color=#ff00cc]Love the look of the new downtown .. just need an Asgard consulate in Santa Leon!! :P[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Those beaches look amazing and the residents of your city are lucky to live to close to them.[/color]

Share this comment