• Announcement

• Dirktator

Got the wrong discs? Or didn't receive them in the mail?   06/20/2018

For those who opted for physical discs -- if you donated between April - June and you received the WRONG discs or NO discs in the mail, please email stexcd@simtropolis.com and include your donation info such as Paypal transaction ID and we will get this rectified!

Schulmania

• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

The Elza Gates

Sign in to follow this  
Schulmanator

cjmastheadtr1.jpg

Middle Tenne: The Elza Gates

The Schulmania National Military has decided to place an outpost along Lake Meltonhill, to guard against attacks like that Queensferry unleashed upon Wirdlington late last year. The site selected, along the southeastern edge of the lake with a port on the Clinch River, should provide protection to sites within the barony and the Tenne hinterland. To maximize land development, the Narrow Style of architecture is being used for the first time west of Devonshire. Elza houses not only several military installations but also the district government for Middle Tenne. The distinctive Middle Tenne Government House, also known as ‘Murfrees Hall’ after the first district governor, is a distinctive red brick landmark. Nearby are several gates to the town. But, since the town is not walled, the gates are more ceremonial in nature.

ELZA-Gate7.jpg

Elza Gate fortifies the port, used by both commercial and military vessels

ELZA-Gate1.jpg

20 cannon defend the port and adjacent Meltonhill Naval Base

ELZA-Gate3.jpg

Meltonhill Naval Base and the Government House are adjacent to the gate and are well protected

ELZA-Gate4.jpg

The south side of the base is defended by Dossett Gate

ELZA-Military1.jpg

SNM barracks can be found in several parts of town

ELZA-Military2.jpg

3 quadrangles house over 1000 sailors from the First Fleet stationed here

ELZA-BissellPark.jpg

But, it is not all military. Right next to Elza Gate is Bissell Park, providing tranquil tree-lined paths and lush lawns for the citizens.

ELZA-GovernmentHouse1.jpg

And of course Murfrees Hall, the Government House, presides over it all on the corner of Jackson Square

As you can imagine, the thriving military port town supports a bustling business sector. And, having the district government offices here also adds to the local payroll. The Baronial Chamber of Commerce reports that 343 businesses are registered in Elza, ranging from AAA Fisk Polishing to Zzzz Catnaps & More. Let’s look at a sample.

ELZA-business1.jpg

On the corner between two government offices sits the opulent L&N General Store

ELZA-business6.jpg

And on this corner is the neighborhood Leech Apothecary

ELZA-business7.jpg

And on the diagonal corner, the regional offices of Meltonhill Bank & Trust, the area’s leading financial institution

ELZA-business12.jpg

Isn’t it easy to see where the term “Narrow Style” was derived? Note the small green dome of Gen. Groves Chapel at left.

seeMoreArchive.jpg

3rXU8c4Lsn1.png

.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

12 Comments

Recommended Comments

Wow, most of those buildings are form Amsterdam! Nice!
By the way, those narrow builds... most of them do really exist in RL and are narrow build. Amsterdam was booming in the 17th century but couldn't expand out of the city walls, so the only way was up.

Share this comment

Just in case you are wondering, the this features a town, like most, which is inspired by an actual place (but of course with a Schulminion twist). And in Tenne, almost everything is named for some place in Tennessee. Well, this one is dedicated to the town of Elza, a place which didn't amount to much until WW2. Here's the place which was translated into Schulmania:

[img]http://smithdray1.net/angeltowns/or/images/ElzaGateMarkerlr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/ElzaGate.jpg/640px-ElzaGate.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Schulmanator/2012%20Default/santaelza.jpg[/img]
Yes, during WW2, security was so tight that even ol' Saint Nick had to have a badge and be searched...

(Incidentally, the photographer is still with us and is having his 90th birthday today. So, the town of Elza Gate is dedicated to Ed Westcott. )

Schulmania's own Elza Gate... [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/amse/2965050604/in/set-72157608279431255"]opening soon[/url]...

Share this comment

[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Schulmanator/2011%20Default/replies-bank.jpg[/IMG]

[b] [/b]

[b]REPLIES[/b]

[i]NOTE: All replies above this are now added to post count totals for rank and awards.[/i]

[b][color=blue]9988[/color][/b] [i]Dakujem![/i] I am pleased you liked it.

[b][color=blue]Emperordaniel[/color][/b] I think it is pretty secure. Let’s hope we are right.

[b][color=blue]NMUSpidey[/color][/b] Good question. I am not sure who was the inventor. But I know it first showed up in Schulmericho.

[b][color=blue]Emperordaniel[/color][/b] That’s an accepted alternate spelling. :D

[b][color=blue]A_muses[/color][/b] Thank you for asking. And, welcome to Schulmania. Actually, there’s not so much a secret to W2W as there is the need to download a bunch of W2W stuff and to zone appropriately for it. I have noticed that most of my W2W buildings are 2x2 lots, so I zone for two deep and a lot of building then takes care of itself. Then I get compatible civic buildings to add in to complete a harmonious streetscape.

[b][color=blue]Escilnavia[/color][/b] [i]Obrigado![/i] Glad you liked it! I enjoyed making it… the first of its type in Schulmania in quite a while.

[b][color=blue]Reaper88[/color][/b] Thanks! Glad you enjoyed this one. And, welcome to Schulmania. Please come visit us again!

[b][color=blue]Usfighter15[/color][/b] Hehehe… you are right… everyone in Elza is vigilant about security. Even the housemice have security clearances!

[b][color=blue]Dqfn13[/color][/b] Indeed! I don’t have many Dutch styled cities in Schulmania, but I do like the look. It makes for a pleasant feel to the city. I am glad you liked this. And, welcome to Schulmania! Please visit us again.

[b][color=blue]Weekendgamer[/color][/b] Thanks for commenting and welcome to Schulmania. The roundabouts are a byproduct of the NAM (Network Add-on Module) that you can download from the STEX or LEX.

[center][center] [/center][/center]

[right][right] [/right][/right]
[right][right][Volume 3 Update #210][/right][/right]
[right][right]Please feel free to continue to view and comment on this entry.[/right][/right]

Share this comment