• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

In The Way Of Progress

Sign in to follow this  
Schulmanator

cjmastheadtr1.jpg

East Tenne: In The Way Of Progress

The Schulmania Transit Office has gained authorization to build a grand bridge spanning the Tenne River. Creatively dubbed “The Tenne River Bridge” in official documents, the residents of Island Home, the small town on two islands in the river, call it “The City Killer”. Why so dour? Two reasons: Island Home has small bridges connecting the islands to both shores, providing the only non-ferry crossing of the river in Schulmania (and a handy source of tolls which could be jeopardized by the project) and the new bridge (if the plans and road routes are approved by Prince Excalibur) promises to slice the town in two. Interestingly enough, vested interests in Island Home have been organizing a protest… let’s see what’s going on.

cokecanprotest.jpg

Ummm… I think we have the wrong footage here… NM!

ih01.jpg

The choke point in the transit route is here, at the bridge connecting the two isles of Island Home. This little stone bridge is the key to the only land route across the Tenne River.

And, even worse, a grouchy old troll lives under the bridge. His name is Julian and he comes out to shake his fist and denounce the wagons passing overhead. His toll to cross – an oversize check for 85 purrs per week of delivery transit. If that wasn’t bad enough, his speed limit is so low that pedestrians can often pass wagons… and the honking irritates all, except for Julian. He crouches in his faded green metallic house and awaits his next victim.. or, as he calls them, “customer”.

TrollBridgeGoldenGate_Design.jpg

It’s sorta like this… except Julian is not that tall and wears a fedora and lives in a faded green metallic house not unlike a 1965 Plymouth Valiant.

65pSCv.jpg

Now you can see why the Transit Office has been inundated with complaints to find a new route.

The small town has made a good living from its key transit location and the circulation of Julian’s oversize 85 purr checks in the local economy. But, residents from Roane-Anderson and the new capital site all the way down to Schulmanukau and Hestorbia are pressing for improvements. Forward-looking visionaries working on the new capital would like to see some sort of Trans-Schulmania highway linking the whole country. And in their vision, Island Home is the place where two halves of the nation will be joined.

ih02.jpg

No trolls, lower tolls here at the Twin Rocks Bridge…

ih03.jpg

Here by Island Home Harbor, the popular seafood chain of Nothing But Net has a large marketplace and fisheteria.

NothingButNetFish.jpg

This is the largest NBN emporium outside of the home office of Tellico. Hungry?

ih04.jpg

It is a nice town and the new bridge project is sure to displace some of it.

ih05.jpg

Residents have a nice life here, despite the constant wagon traffic through residential streets.

ih06.jpg

Former mayor Nathan Sundquist bought this statue out of his own pocket to mollify the electorate after having declared the town needed an income tax to fund bridge repairs.

That went over like the proverbial lead balloon. He was booed until the townsfolk got hoarse. He commissioned the statue to say “I’m sorry.” He was still voted out of office, replaced by current mayor Dr. Nicolas Riviera, whose upbeat campaign featured the slogan “Hi everybody… vote for me and bridge repair will come out of the tolls instead of your pockets.” He won with 100% of the vote.

3686.jpg

New mayor Dr. Nicolas Riviera

abraham_simpson-med.jpg

Former mayor Nathan Sundquist

ih07.jpg

No backups today on the New Milvian Bridge…

ih08.jpg

Nathan’s Folly Circle and the tranquil town could be fundamentally reshaped if the ambitious plan to remove tolls and trolls is successful

ih09.jpg

Transit Office estimates are that over 1500 wagons per day would use the new and improved bridge

ih10.jpg

A delegation from Island Home is on the way to Roane-Anderson to plead their case to Prince Excalibur. Will he determine that the town is standing in the way of progress? We will see… Will Julian be grouchy about whatever is decided? You betcha!

seeMoreArchive.jpg

3rXU8c4Lsn1.png <------Click here to see the revolving globe showing Schulmania's visitors!

.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

9 Comments

Recommended Comments

It must be said: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." The new bridge must be built and progress must not be stopped! This is especially important given the events unfolding in the war!

Share this comment

[IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Schulmanator/2011%20Default/replies-bank.jpg[/IMG]

[b] [/b]

[b]REPLIES[/b]

[i]NOTE: All replies above this are now added to post count totals for rank and awards.[/i]

[b][color=blue]Exla357[/color][/b] If you had met Julian in person, you would understand :D And, BTW, welcome to Schulmania!

[b][color=blue]Keder[/color][/b] This update is loosely based on real events…

[b][color=blue]MamaLuigi945[/color][/b] Thanks. I am glad you like it.

[b][color=blue]NMUSpidey[/color][/b] I would agree. And Julian is not exactly friendly. So yet even more reason to build that bridge.

[b][color=blue]Escilnavia[/color][/b] Thanks! The bridge is from Glenni… I believe this is the link (the pic does not look quite the same but that’s the name of it on my SC4) [url="../../../files/file/21627-troll-bridge/"]http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/21627-troll-bridge/[/url]

[b][color=blue]Emperordaniel[/color][/b] And it indeed does closely resemble, by some odd coincidence, the ’65 Plymouth… how unusual! ;)

[b][color=blue]Jamesrules90[/color][/b] Don’t worry… as long as you don’t drink Oil of Onimay it will all make sense soon enough :D And, welcome to Schulmania!

[b][color=blue]Ggagmus[/color][/b] Trust me… they have a LOT in common!

[right][right] [/right][/right]
[right][right][Volume 3 Update #184][/right][/right]

Share this comment