Baychester

Sign in to follow this  
  • Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Baychester City: Little Neck

Sign in to follow this  
turdferguson1

Hello all, Its time to start with some good news and bad news. The bad news first (bad for you, good for me). I'm going off to college tomorrow, and so I can't work any more on the cities in my CJ. The good news however is that I've planned for this and I've accumulated plenty of pictures for a few more updates over the course of the next couple weeks.

To start off, we begin our tour of Baychester City in this update. The next few updates will show the three main neighborhoods of the city. They are: Little Neck, Mulholland, and South Slopes.

Anyways we move into Little Neck, named for the small peninsula that juts into the sea. This is the northernmost part of Baychester City. In the small bay that it forms is undeveloped Corning Island. This island has not been protected by the National Park Service (or any other preservation society) because its small size and rocky shores make development an economic deathwish.

LittleNeck-Corningisland.jpg

Moving a little east, we see the tip of the town's namesake peninsula, Little Neck. Here we have a lighthouse to warn boats going upstream to the ports north of Baychester, and the Mayor of Baychester's house.

LittleNeck-LittleNeckPoint.jpg

If we head to the southernmost part of the bay, we come across outlook park which is known for its ...well... lookouts. Around the park is some old development that is under consideration for redevelopment.

LittleNeck-OverlookPark.jpg

Farther inland, as we get closer to downtown Little Neck, We come across Stephens Park, named after Gregory Stephens, a famous businessman and philanthropist who founded Baychester Metals Incorporated.

LIttleNeck-StephensPark.jpg

Just a shade east of Stephens Park is the downtown portion of Little Neck. The large building in the center is the Baychester Metals Inc. building which stands atop the original plot of land where Stephens had his first workshop.

LittleNeck-Downtown.jpg

Little Neck, however, has had some class tensions flare up recently, especially with these hard economic times. One of the biggest flashpoints has been the construction of the Oceanside Place Condominiums. This building has blocked the ocean views from the Martinsfield Towers while also leaving a few city blocks permanently under its shadow.

LittleNeck-Inequality.jpg

Lastly, I should point out that many people in Baychester live in government housing cooperatives. Little Neck has the third largest public development in the metropolitan area, The Statler-Brownsville Houses. The mid and high rise buildings house 6500 poorer residents of the city.

LittleNeck-Statler-BrownsvilleHousingestates.jpg

This is another view of the housing projects; The four Nostrand Towers are part of the Statler-Brownsville homes. The checkerboard cube thingy at the bottom is the northernmost extent of the Baychester subway system.

LittleNeck-NostrandTowers.jpg

Thanks for viewing this and stick around for more coming soon.

Sign in to follow this  

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.