• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Terraforming : Eastern Middle

Sign in to follow this  
Jetty Jockey

header.jpg

Hello ! In today's entry, I continue the terraforming process in eastern Middle Township, notably the area around Cape May Court House and the western shores of Jenkins Sound and Great Sound.

EastMiddle.jpg

The first stop is the Cape May Court House tile. When settled in the late 17th century, it was originally named Romney Marsh, for an area in southeasten England that it resembled. The name was later changed to Middleton , and then with the building of the county courthouse in 1764, to Cape May Court House. Most of the town lies to the west of the Garden State Parkway

CourtHouse.jpg

Cape May Court House is and always has been the transportation hub of the county. Roads branch out radially to all parts of the county, and are conveniently named by thier destination ( Dennisville Road, Goshen Road, Dias Creek Road, etc..)

CMCHroad.jpg

East of Cape May Court House is Shellbay Landing. It is a recreational area, with a pier extending out into Jenkins Sound for fishing and crabbing.

Shellbay.jpg

Just north of Shellbay Landing is Benny's Landing. A small knot of houses cluster together in the marshes .

Bennyscombo.jpg

Most of the houses along the marshfront are raised on pilings. Spring tides caused by full or new moons , not to mention passing coastal storms cause moderate to severe flooding in these areas

Bennys2.jpg

East of Cape May Court House is the Scotch Bonnet section of Middle Township. The Stone Harbor causeway lies between the Stone Harbor Canal ( south of the roadway) and Crooked Creek Gut to the north.

SimScotch.jpg

Houses along Stone Harbor Boulevard

ScotchBonnet.jpg

As with the houses at Benny's Landing, the marsh houses of Scotch Bonnet are raised a few feet above the marshes

Scotch2.jpg

North of Scotch Bonnet is the Crest Haven tile. Holmes Creek drains the ponds at the County Park , flowing into Holmes Cove and thence into Great Sound. Cape May County has the dubious distinction of having the only 3 red lights on the Garden State Parkway, at Crest Haven Road (Exit 11) , Stone Harbor Boulevard ( Exit 10), and Shellbay Avenue ( Exit 9). They are scheduled for replacement by real exit ramps in 2014, due to the high number of accidents that occur there especially during the summer tourist season.

CrestHaven.jpg

West of Crest Haven is the County Park tile. Between route 9 and Dennisville Road are acres of wooded parkland and one of the finest free zoos in the nation.

CPark.jpg

The pond at the County Park, looking northwest from Route 9

CountyPark.jpg

North of the County Park is the Seigtown tile. Seigtown Road curves south off of Goshen-Swainton Road. The ponds south of the road are an abandoned gravel pit that has filled with groundwater.

Simseig.jpg

Siegtown.jpg

Lastly, we come to the South Swainton tile. A sand gravel pit mine lies between Seigtown Road ( south) and Goshen-Swainton Road. Deep Creek enters from the marshlands to the east and drains the ponds at Avalon Country Club.

SSwain.jpg

Well, that's all I have for this installment. Sorry if it was a bit lengthy, But I'm trying to knock this project out so I can start building cities on it sometime next month . I'm looking at just two more terraforming updates, one for Sea Isle City and Ludlam Island and another for eastern sections of Dennis Township. Stay tuned !

REPLIES :

Benedict :

Yeah, the FAR makes the region work. Previous tries had roads zig-zagging all through the marshes. I've also skewed north about 15 degrees so the east-west roads on the barrier islands run perpendicular to the beach, which they do in reality.

Zulu2065:

It's far from dead. There may be some lengthy lapses between updates because I wanted to get the terraforming done in big chunks rather than bore my readers with repetetive pics of swamps and such. I'm also testing the SPAM to see how it works , as it may be a big part of the region's development. Once building begins , the updates will be smaller and more frequent.

Reikhardt:

Attention to detail may put me into a mental institution :boggle: I find it kind of ironic that I put the most work into areas where no one lives and terrain that is undevelopable. Still, it makes for a nice background.

Sign in to follow this  

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

[quote name='NMUSpidey' timestamp='1313723791']
That's some fabulous work. It's going to take a while to complete, eh?
[/quote]

Thank you for the encouraging words ! I'm coming down the home stretch now. It's been nearly a year in the making. I knew from the start that this was an ambitious project. I'm hoping to start development by late September.

Share this comment