• Entries
  • Comments
  • Views

Update 5- Change and Instability.

Sign in to follow this  
deactivated-0111

From the years 1968 to 1980 Carla saw heavy changes and slight instability. At the dawn of 1968 new schools and clinics were built. 3 years later, in 1971, an Eastern Orthodox church and cemetary were built. In the seventies, Carla saw a societal shift. Instead of working the farms and factories ,that the city's population have been doing for the past century, the people demand work in more commercial and retail jobs. This change was born when people noticed the heavy pollution in the Carla River in June 1973. People could no longer enjoy pleasant swims, or fish the river. In January 1975, the Carlaville Council passed a policy that disallowed dirty industry from polluting the air. Following this, in 1976, was a heavy tax raise to heavy industry jobs.

Disaster struck on July 4th 1977. A massive fire swept over the industrial park, consuming the whole area. Most of the buildings were destroyed, and reconstruction was a foggy idea. By 1980 most industry was recovered, but the fight to get ride of pollution was still strong.

Dirty Industry and manufacturing wasn't the only pollutant. The massive amount of farms contributed to heavy water pollution, which not only endangered the river, but the people of Carla herself. On June 14 1980 people wanted to start demolishing land to replace farms. In 1979, a year previous, tax for commercial business was lowered, giving favor to corporate and commercial employers.

Pics :D

1-19-1968: Both a new school and clinic were built, with funding raised. Pop: 7,997

Carlaville-Jan19681308462349.png

12-3-1971: An Eastern Orthodox church and cemetary is built. Pop: 8,050

Carlaville-Dec5711308462806.png

6-8-1973: Pollution is extremely evident in the Carla Rivers. No swimming or fishing is allowed. Pop: 8,072

Carlaville-Jun18731308628137.png

10-29-1975:A policy is enforced by the Carlaville Council and Seattle Congress to lower pollution by industrial buildings. Pop: 8,004

Carlaville-Oct29751308628654.png

7-4-1977: Huge fire consumes most of the industrial park. Only a few buildings survive. Pop: 7,960

Carlaville-Jul4771308629491.png

6-14-1980: The dezoning of farms continue. Pop: 8,261

Carlaville-Jun14801308630692.png

Sign in to follow this  

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

Growing up in Iowa I noticed railroads as an integral part of old river towns like Burlington, Fort Madison, Keokuk, and the Quad Cities. Thus, a railroad is essential to river towns like this, especially in the era that Carlaville grows. The north side of the river seems to be the best place to put a railroad through, I believe.
Anyways, I appreciate the small town feel with abundant use of streets, but inevitably you'll have to streamline more routes by putting in roads as your town develops.

Share this comment

[quote name='Stanky Hank' timestamp='1309735655']
Growing up in Iowa I noticed railroads as an integral part of old river towns like Burlington, Fort Madison, Keokuk, and the Quad Cities. Thus, a railroad is essential to river towns like this, especially in the era that Carlaville grows. The north side of the river seems to be the best place to put a railroad through, I believe.

Anyways, I appreciate the small town feel with abundant use of streets, but inevitably you'll have to streamline more routes by putting in roads as your town develops.
[/quote]

Ok, when I get back from vacation Ill work on railroads for Carla.

Share this comment