Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raccoon Fox

SimFrustration, 1.0

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • well, this is my problem: as of friday, SimCity 4 Deluxe stopped working properly. After getting updates from WindowsUpdate.com (I run WinXP Professional with SP 2), it started to load very slowly...i mean, 10 minutes from the bridge splash picture, to it saying "EA Games: Challenge Everything!". So, i thought a re-install would do it. Nope, i was SO WRONG! now it won't even load. It just shows the splash image, then nothing but black. again, my system specs: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ at 2 GHz 1024 MB (1 GB) of DDR-RAM installed on C: Drive, 40 GB with 12 GB free space G Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache [NoDB], 128 MB of video ram. I know i'm well past the minimum requirements for the game, but why did it suddenly start working funky? Now, i also thought it could have been an incompatible mod or prop, so i removed them all to a backup folder on Drive D:, and left the SimCity 4 folder in My Documents as pristine as the second it was installed. STILL nothing. I have given up on trying to work this out by myself. anyone here wanna wrap this problem around your large and intelligent minds?

When you uninstalled it did also Delite the Maxis file that is Left behind in your programr files? 
      (when you uninstall simcity It doesNOT uninstall the MAXIS file in your programs folder) and if your simcity data file1 is corupted then when you reinstall the file jusy over wrights the reinstall leaving you with the problem you started with.
        PSSS do you know a comand to Make simcity run in windows mod instead of Full screen?

• Original Poster
  • for windowed mode, i don't know how to do that without either having severe slowdown or artefacting.... i did what you said and it worked perfectly, though! msut've just been a corrupt install. thanks!

As mentioned in an earlier thread, you can modify your shortcut to call windowed mode by putting the characters space-w after the program call.

Be aware that the game remembers this and you will need to change the -w to -f to return to full screen mode.

You can also get rid of EA's logo by adding -intro<colon>off to the command line after a space in the same way. Use a real colon. If you put one in here you get a smilie.

You will probably not run in windowed mode because it doesn't run any differently, and running something opposite it will just slow things down. Also, I don't know if you can render a map in this mode. Rendering must never be interrupted by something like a screen saver.