Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trigger_tre

Any Boston locals out there?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Howdy from down south.

My wife is going to Boston on business for a weekend sometime in May. I plan to tag along so we can make a 3-day getaway out of it.

I have never been to Boston nor has she. Does anyone recommend any "must see" attractions, historical stuff, and/or fun things to do for a mid 20's couple.

Anything you can think of would help,.......however, a "Bingo Night" suggestion might not make it to the top of my list.

thanks,

-trigger

-------------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

I have visited Boston on business a few times. You might want to have a look at Harvard Yard at the University. Faneuil (pronounced Fan yewl) Hall is an interesting piece of architecture.

You probably won't be staying in Boston, but someplace like Wellesley. I suggest an outing to Legal Seafood if you get a chance. It has very good fish.

Other than that, keep your hand on your wallet. Downtown Boston is a combat zone..

Indeed - Faneuil Hall and the entire Quincy Market is a must-see. If you do end up there, make sure you eat at Pizzaria Regina. Take a walking tour of the downtown area, it's a beautiful place and it's easily accessible by taking the "T", Boston's MT system. Check out the observation deck at the Prudential Tower and you might be able to see a Red Sox game going on 50 stories below you.

Boston really is a great city - in fact, I'd go as far as saying it's my favourite US city. It has the feel of a big city, but seems quite a bit safer than other big cities I've visited, and even moreso than my hometown! My family tries to make a stopover there on our vacation every summer, and I always have a blast.

May I suggest you don't wear a shirt that says "I love Bush" shirt to Boston. 17.gif

It doesn't matter what political party your from, that's funny right there... (yeah, Larry the Cable Guy).

I live and hour north of there, a tour of Fenway Park is definately interesting and well worth it, and its only about 2 hours. The Museum of Science is also very well worth the trip...Their feature exihbit is Star Wars. If its nice, which it has been recently, take a walk along the Freedom Trail, lots of things to see there.

Originally posted by: Fischbob

make sure you eat at Pizzaria Regina.quote>

You beat me to it.  Although I'm not really from Boston, I've been enough times to know Pizzeria Regina is one of the best pizzas in New England.

The last 6 times I've been to boston, I ate at Pizzeria Regina, with one exception being eating in Chinatown last summer.  Be warned, though, that it's nearly impossible to get a parking space in the North End unless you are the type of person who likes paying $6 an hour in parking garages!  For free parking, there is a bridge connecting the North End with Charlestown (where Bunker Hill is) - if you take that bridge and head right at the next light you'll find something eventually.

Also be warned that you can wait up to an hour to get a seat there; however, I have had luck in the mid-afternoon (3-5 PM).

There's a lot of other cool stuff in Boston.  If you have time, simply walk around.  For me that would be enough.

Originally posted by: The Terminator

Boston is OK, but i suggest a visit to NEWARK,NEW JERSEY. its a beautiul cityquote>

Newark?  Your joking right?
    anyway I have never been to Boston, but i do hear that the Pizzeria Regina is really good.  Next time I would suggest comming to St. Louis though.  have a good time!

Originally posted by: nycsc4

Originally posted by: The Terminator Boston is OK, but i suggest a visit to NEWARK,NEW JERSEY. its a beautiul cityquote>
    Newark?  Your joking right? anyway I have never been to Boston, but i do hear that the Pizzeria Regina is really good.  Next time I would suggest comming to St. Louis though.  have a good time!quote>

No, he's not joking. He really loves that place for some reason.

And If you're going to fenway park, don't go there when they're playing the Yankees. That's when you get the most unruly crowds.

I live in boston i suggest The Prudential/Copley center, Newburry St.(shopping), Government Center Area and Beacon hill to see our beautiful State house

I'm a local Bostonian, glad to hear your headin' up this way.  My first suggestion is DON't RENT A CAR.  You won't like Boston drivers and even if your outside of the city all us massachusetts drivers are m*****s.  Take the T (subway and other mass transit) it can get you anywhere you need to go.  I suggest the Prudential tower, newbury street, fanuel hall/quincy market, museum of fine arts, but mostly I would say just walk around downtown and you'll find plenty to see and tons of great food.  If your in to the historical stuff, you can walk the freedom trail or take a trolly tour or duck boat.  Hope you like Boston.

Hope you like Boston, I grew up not to far from Boston, havent seen it in many years but always loved the museums.

http://www.boston-online.com/Museums/  has a great list of links. Not all are in Boston.

Some of my old haunts were:
    Museum of Fine Arts
    Edaville Railroad (not in Boston but Carver, closer to Plymouth)
    Harvard Botanical Museum
    Harvard Museum of Natural History
    Museum of Science
    Plimouth Plantation (south of Boston in Plymouth)(great beach)
        Plymouth also has the Mayflower (interesting) and Plymouth Rock
       (pretty much a rock, not even a big one, but of fame and  next  to 
       Mayflower)
    Franklin Park Zoo (dont know what it is like today)

A couple I'd like to see:
    New England Aquarium
    Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site (closed till 2007)

Boston and Cambridge used to be great places to explore, great food, lots of history but would want to research current traffic and public transportation (Did you ever hear the old song about Charlie that got lost on the MTA, I think it was by the Kingston Trio, it happens hehehehehehe)

Have a great trip and keep safe.

I'll have to agree with the last post, the museums are great and there's plenty of them.  (although edaville railroad isn't around anymore, wish it was)  The aquarium is pretty good, and it's right on the waterfront.

Don't worry about getting stuck on the T (subway), that song was about the exit fares you had to pay, but you don't have to anymore (do pay attention to the stations or you may end up being lost for awhile on the T).  a T-token will cost you $1.25, or you can get visitor mutli-ride passes.  Check out www.mbta.com to find out all you need to know or how to get passes for our great mass transit system.

Any questions feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to fill you in, so you can make your Boston trip a good one.

I live about 30 miles away from Boston, but not the one you are going to ... I live near the one in England 9.gif And if I were you, I wouldn't bother going to that Boston! 18.gif

Thanks for the update dkey.

I grew up in Walpole many years ago and know my info is dated.

Sorry to hear about Edaville Railroad it was a pretty cool steam

train.

Just jokeing about the subways 36_1_21.gif

dkey, are the Boston Common & Public Gardens and the swan boat rides worthy of mention?

no problem skink.  I grew up the next town over in Foxboro, and still live around there while working in Boston.  Edaville was great, and I actually had family live right behind it in carver, but oh well. 

The Boston common, public gardens, and swan boats are definately worth the mention (although I don't know if the swan boats will be open in May).  As these parks are centrally located, it would be of great use as a landmark for anyone visiting the city and wishing to walk around downtown.

How long ago did you move from the area skink?  If its been awhile, I must suggest you make a visit back up to Boston, as alot has been changing as of late.  Especially with the Big Dig wrapping up.

Once again thanks for the info dkey.

I left the area about 30 - 35 years ago. I'm afraid I would be totaly lost up there now. Rt. 128 and the South East Expressway were'nt total parking lots yet but Rt. 6 out the Cape in season was. 
    I have been here in Florida (Ft. Myers area) for about 22 years and have seen enough hurricanes to last a while. Thinking of heading west next, find a nice quiet piece of desert somewhere 4.gif

I hope the Big Dig was worth the wait. I would love to spend a summer wandering New England (winters are to cold for me now, I have had nerve damage in my legs for about 6 years now that feels like a bad sunburn so long pants are out. I only wear cut offs, at least thats my story and I'm sticking with it, hehehehe)

New England is like a giant piece of cake and Boston is the cherry on top. Mass. Audubon was like the whipped cream, none other like it.

Thanks again for the info and have a great weekend.
    4.gif

Hey Trigger, if you have a GPS, be sure to take it and make your first waypoint standing just outside the door to your hotel room.
    That way you can always find it again if need be. (your hotel room that is not your GPS . . . 4.gif )
    I would do this in any new city. 9.gif

/edit/
    Well . . . Looked good on paper, tall buildings can interfear with reception, but I still like the idea.
    /end edit/