Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onlyplace4

IS it possible to hyperlink images using BBCode?

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I may be being completely dense here, and if that's the case apologies, but is there any way we can simulate a hyperlinked image simply using the BBCode of the topic reply editor? My reason for asking is that I want to be able to host images offsite (thus saving SimTrops bandwidth) and post a hyperlinked thumbnail image. I have tried just about every combination of the BBCode I can think of, but can't achieve the result I want.

With HTML it would be a doddle, but I am not getting anywhere with BBCode. Perhaps my only alternative is to post a thumbnail with a link below saying something like "Click here for full size image", but I would prefer the other option if it can be sorted without causing the much overworked Dirk any more work ... that is, if it can be done with what exists at the moment.

Thanx in advance

Mike

Err... I tried to edit my message, but it gave me an error... ok, try this coding, but I put a comma inside the code so that it will show up:

[L=myurl,][img,]whatever the image is..... [/img,][/L,]

Now, just simply take out the commas to see if it will work.

• Original Poster
  • Ok, I've been doing test after test after test using the preview message to see if they work and I cannot get nested BBCode to do anything. I tried what you suggested Micah but all I get is ... well easiest to show you:

">http://www.filelodge.com/files...0554/colt45%20copy.jpg

And in this even the hyperlink don't work 46.gif

Getting an image OR a link seems to be easy, but getting a linked image .....

Ah well, I am sure this is something that Dirk will address in the fullness of time, and I can wait. Until then I am going to have to use something like:

colt45%20copy.jpg

Click here

The problems seems to me to lie in the way BBCode is parsed into HTML. Ah well c'est la vie, it's not a biggie and I can sure live with it for as long as it takes.

Thanx for taking the time to reply guys ... much appreciated 9.gif

Hmmm... this is wierd. This new coding is something I need to know. I use to know the code for HTML, but ever since we changed to 5.0, I lost all the coding that was in my old sig.

• Original Poster
  • HTML sure does make it easier for this kind of thing, but it can lead to exploits that could be harmful to the forum. Whilst BBCode does kinda help to protect against this, it is, as we have found out, less flexible, but it is that regidity that does provide a level of protection against HTML exploits (and this comess from experience 7.gif )

I am certain that Dirk will resolve this for us as and when the poor guy has the time to even think. Until then I think we are just going to have to provide our own work rounds like the thumbnail with 'click here' below it. At the end of the day, it's not a major issue, but one I am sure that we are not alone in wanting to see resolved.

Mike

I have had no previous experience with BBCode, so I am still absolutely lost in everything, including very basic stuff. However, I am willing to learn.

It would be REALLY great if Dirk, or someone else, was to either write a BBCode tutorial or give a link to a good one.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

With HTML, anything is possible. Enable the WSYWIG editor... HTML is usable then. 4.gif

Originally posted by: MayorTim

It would be REALLY great if Dirk, or someone else, was to either write a BBCode tutorial or give a link to a good one.quote>

I'll add it to my list of things to write when the SHS get finished transferring files from the old omnibus.

beebs: I hope that you don't mind that I used your sig pic, but was all that I had that was handy.

[img

If this worked, it should link to imgcity.net
    EDIT:  That didn't work worth squat.15.gif

snnlogo.jpg

Well, I thought I would try experimenting with something. Anyway, I would be glad to help with that BBcode tutorial when someone plans to move foward with it

* beebs, your signature image link doesn't work, but does work in your regular post

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us I'm using HTML, clindhartsen. Activate the WSYWIG editor with IE, then you can use HTML in your posts.

Originally posted by: beebs

To make links, put L instead of URL for the BBCode.quote>

I'm trying to make a linking image without using HTML code.

EDIT: forum_new.gif

EDIT:  OK, from what I can tell, it is easy to make linking images using just BB code.  The problem is that ST doesn't support it.  On another website I recently visited, that code generated a linking image.

Also, would someone with moderating power delete my post above this one.  It's so royally messed up that it won't even let me edit it.

"L" and "URL" are both still BBCode. BBCode is is identified by brackets [] and HTML is identified by arrows <>

your URL code is not accepted by this web site so just replace URL with L.

Hope that helps

-trigger

-----------------------

trigsidx18it.gif

Yes thats a problem with the coding. My only solution is to use HTML for the link and BBCode for the IMG

Here let me test.....

copterupdate25er.jpg

This image should link you to "Trigger BAT Ventures if correct.

trigsidx18it.gif

I don't know this for sure, but I seem to remember hearing that the speculation behind the switch to BB code from HTML is because HTML has the capability to have stuff like viruses or other internet garbage worked into them.  Hence, let's try to use the BB code instead of the HTML until the admins give the clear to use it.

It has the capability, yes... but when was the last time in Simtrop's 3 year history that that has happened? Never, in my memory at least. I'll wait for the official word from Dirk or someone on this, but I think that risk of that happening is slim.

To be honest....

Even if you write in BBCode the website alters it to HTML when you post something.

So as far as I can see Dirk or the Admins never meant for HTML not to be used.

An easy way to see this is to put a picture in your sig using the IMG tag with brackets (or BBCode). Then press update profile. When you do you will notice that it changes to html code. The same applies if you look at the page source code.

Hope that helps some.

-trigger

-----------------------

trigsidx18it.gif