Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uandwhosearmy

Avoiding highrise buildings

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi,

I'm in the process of constructing a replica of my home city of Uppsala and want to avoid highrises as much as possible (Since they are non-existant in this RL city of 185,000). For this reason I have mostly zoned medium density, sometimes combined with high density in 1x2 lots to get rowhouses.

I was therefore surprised to see highrise buildings (25+ stories) start to pop up as I reached 25,000-30,000 population figures. Are these stage 6 or 7 buildings and can you still get them when you're at medium density? Most of the really tall ones are Commercial office buildings (blue, glass/steel structure) and are starting to overcrowd my CBD

I know I can make buildings "historical", but I was holding out for newly donwloaded BATs to start replacing the ones I already had as demand rose.   

EDIT:

Just found out that stage 7 are definately high density buildings, so my question would be: Is there a way to avoid getting stage 6 buildings or can anyone recommend good stage 6 buildings from the STEX that are not highrise buildings?

Thank you!

well my only advise is not to have medium/high density in your cities, but than you'll get only small homes and no rowhouses. looks like you'll have to use the demollition tool a lot3.gif

• Original Poster
  • I'm not having much trouble controlling my residential areas, it's the commercial centre that is rocketing skywards very fast towards stage 6 scrapers. Must say I'm a little disappointed that skyscrapers can still grow on medium density lots...

I think he means he got midrises. I know what you mean about commercial. I like to make shopping strips of buildings of no more than three storey buildings (light is just too small). If I don't make them historical they'll eventually end up as Marshall Printing or Yates Real Estate or Blue Denim or some such thing. It sucks but the best thing you can do is make them historical when you have the streetscape you want. If you don't, they'll eventually end up as midrises which are probably too big for a small place with height restrictions like Uppsala.

I've never had need to do this, so I don't know if it will work, but maybe raising the taxes high on Co$$ and $$$, and medium high on Cs$$ and $$$ might discourage growth.

• Original Poster
  • Originally posted by: spa

I think he means he got midrises. I know what you mean about commercial. I like to make shopping strips of buildings of no more than three storey buildings (light is just too small). If I don't make them historical they'll eventually end up as Marshall Printing or Yates Real Estate or Blue Denim or some such thing. It sucks but the best thing you can do is make them historical when you have the streetscape you want. If you don't, they'll eventually end up as midrises which are probably too big for a small place with height restrictions like Uppsala.quote>

You're right, I meant midrise buildings. Thank you.

I found (after much browsing through the STEX) some really good stage 5/6 buildings to implement in my city so I hope to be able to replace the ugly houston-esque midrises (reflect systems inc, ben tower) that have started to plop up. Now where is that bulldozer tool... 11.gif

Originally posted by: Uandwhosearmy You're right, I meant midrise buildings. Thank you. I found (after much browsing through the STEX) some really good stage 5/6 buildings to implement in my city so I hope to be able to replace the ugly houston-esque midrises (reflect systems inc, ben tower) that have started to plop up. Now where is that bulldozer tool... %7Boption%7Dquote>
    If you're a member of Simcity Central, Dhamp made a mod called the No Maxis mod which will "when used together, block any and all standard Maxis buildings from growing in SimCity 4". I had done a brief search here, thinking he had uploaded it here as well, but apparently not.
    There are 8 separate files, three for the residential wealth levels, and the other five for the commercial wealth levels, and most importantly you can mix and match. This will enable you to control exactly which buildings might emerge. For instance, if you use all of the No-Maxis mod files and only have STEX bats, you'll only have STEX bats growing. This won't affect existing buildings in your city, only prevent new one's from growing.
    Dhamp No Maxis Mod

I find that all of the buildings that go above low rise level are STEX buildings, but I have seen a few maxis buildings...

I say use your patience and observe, a neat trick is to not spoil your city rotten with education & healthcare, becuase if they are healthy and well-educated... Well it explains itself in a way.

Try it... But come back if it still not workin and you dont want to delete every high rise that pops up on Medium-Density Commercial...