Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused04

Kirby Puckett

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Just a few days ago, one of Baseball's Giants, and a behemoth of an icon passed away after suffering a massive stroke. He was just 45 years of age. Particularly in Minnesota, where he played for the Minnesota Twins and led them to two World Series Victories both in 1987 and 1991, he will be missed. His attitude and passion for the game was unique and he helped bring an often misunderstood and overlooked state to the forefront of MLB until his sudden retirement in 1996. I myself am not a sports person, but of all the names I recognized, I empathized most with Kirby Puckett, and so did many of my friends. His passing spread around our campus immediately, and I know that many tears were shed from some of my friends who are native Minnesotans. Its sad to see another icon pass away. Sunday, March 12th, at the Metrodome in Minneapolis Minnesota at 7 PM Central Standard time, a free public memorial will be held in honor of Kirby Puckett and his legacy. I will be there to honor him along with many thousands of people (the Metrodome has a capacity of 50,000 for this event). So if your available and willing, there is no admission fee and soda and water are being given out. Anyone else have any thoughts on the passing of Kirby Puckett?

Certainly a loss for the baseball community.

Fond memory of Kirby Puckett....

The wife and I were at a Tigers game several years ago.  The Tigers were playing the Twins.....anyway, we used to like to get to the games early to watch batting practice and get autographs.....we usually sat right behind third base and not to far from the field....(this was at the old Tiger Stadium, BTW).  My wife was sitting in our seats and I was down on the railing hoping to catch a foul ball.  Well, Kirby Puckett steps up to the plate to take some batting practice.........a few pitches in, here comes the ball racing down the third base line, hooking foul.  I thought I had it for sure.....it bounces about 5 feet in front of me on the field and shoots over my head by at least 5 feet.  It lands in the walkway that seperates the lower section from the upper section and then rolls right under my wife's seat.  She easily reaches down and picks it up....and of course flaunts it in my face.

In the years that followed, we collected many signatures on the ball and it still sits on our mantle.....The only signature we were never able to get was from Kirby himself.....

Wow, that's pretty young for a stroke..

I know his sudden retirement was due to an injury that affected his eyesight so that he couldn't play properly anymore.

Originally posted by: Duke87

I know his sudden retirement was due to an injury that affected his eyesight so that he couldn't play properly anymore.quote>

yeah, you're telling me - guy was only 7 years older than I.

I do know Kirby had some problems - but none of us are perfect. i admired the guy a bit, and wished there were more who played the game like he.

watching a guy built a bit like myelf being able to cover that much ground was a joy to watch.

Originally posted by: MrCinatit

Originally posted by: Duke87

I know his sudden retirement was due to an injury that affected his eyesight so that he couldn't play properly anymore.quote>

yeah, you're telling me - guy was only 7 years older than I.

quote>

He was younger than I am. Scary stuff.

One of the people who spent a lot of time with Kirby in his final moments was Cincinnati Reds centerfielder Ken Griffey Jr., who was a very close friend of Puckett's. Junior considered Kirby a very close friend and mentor.

I've been a huge Junior fan from the start. Seeing how much a guy like Griffey cared for a guy like Puckett increases my respect for both of those men a whole lot.

The moment I remember most about Kirby Puckett is from what I think was game 6 of the 1991 World Series.  He hit a late homerun to win the game and they went on to win the series in 7 games.  He was one of those guys you would not want to face in a clutch situation.  His passing is a true loss for baseball.

• Original Poster
  • Kirby Puckett Public Memorial, March 12th,2006 downtown1ji.jpg Downtown Minneapolis people8hf.jpg Crowd I would estimate is between 7500 and 12500 although most are not pictured. pucket16ja.jpg Kirby Puckett's Banner pucket22yj.jpg The "Program" (which really was a collection of quotes and info about Kirby) pucket37gm.jpg The Jumbo screen with Kirby Puckett cal2ar.jpgcal20xe.jpg Cal Ripken speaking at the Memorial killebrew9xt.jpg Harmon Killebrew speaking. There were others such as Dave Winfield, the GM, Dan Gladden, Al Newman, Tom Kelly. They also had a moving selection of song performed by local artists and a choir. At the end they darkened the Metrodome and laid Pucketts jersey in centerfield with a spotlight which was particularly moving . Despite the threat of a foot of snow and actually thundersnow, many people turned out to honor Kirby Puckett and his memory.

He was a great ballplayer and I admired him when he played, but these days it's hard to forget the sexual assualt and all that stuff. For that reason I hate it when baseball players in particular are exalted as being role models. Even though I hate speaking in generalities, as a group they're kind of insidious. Trust me.