Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dork Cheese

Where do you get the BAT creation program?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

To activate gmax, you need to go to http://www.turbosquid.com/RegisterGmax. It is true that you have to be 'product registered' to download the BAT tool, which requires gmax, which can be found at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax.

What I mean by the word 'product register' is that you need to register your copy of SimCity 4 and obtain a user account. You cannot download the tool if you have a Maxis account that does not contain a serial number for SimCity 4. A serial number can only be registered once, so it is best to remember your password and username.

There is no Mac version of Gmax. You can either get VirtualPC to run the Windows version (if your computer can handle it) or you can get a 3d drawing program that saves in 3ds format (the Apple site has some demo programs you can try out) and transfer your model to someone with Gmax, but there is a ton of stuff that has to be done once you transfer it, including re-texturing, lighting, rendering and lot building. You, or whomever you transfer your model to, will spend as much, if not more time, in Gmax doing these things. Sorry there isn't a better answer...

• Original Poster
  • Damn. Well, I happen to have Virtual PC, but I still have to register Windows to get it to run, and I need to find the code. Do you know how to product-register on a Mac?

You're going to have to get a Maxis/Windows registration code to get all the tools from the EA site. How you do so is up to you, the easiest way is buying a PC version of the game, which can be done pretty cheaply.

You also need Gmax, as mentioned above, but that doesn't require any a PC version of the game for registration.

One other thing, there is some disagreement as to whether the building tools work on Virtual PC, there is a thread referenced in the Mac Omnibus article (which is still not up unfortunately) that discusses this, certain users say they work, Goaskin (who has done a ton of modding and "night lights for Mac" work) says it doesn't. You might want to search for that thread and read it before taking the plunge, I think the thread is titled "lot editor and virtual pc" so search for that in the Mac forums.

Again, no easy answers on this one. If you have any other questions, let me know...