Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clamor_m

Many dependencies=Long menu's: Can something be done?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi, I've got something bugging me: often when I download something that I want in my cities I have to download a bunch of dependencies which I wouldn't care to have. For example for the Duisberg steel mill I had to get a few train stations wich I otherwise don't need.

That wouldn't be too bad, except that many of these things turn up in the menu's of the game: for example, my railroad menu is now full of things that I don't want to plop anywhere, but that I need anyway because they are all dependencies of other thing that I do want to use. Ok, it's not the end of the world and I still can play the game, but I wish I just didn't have to always scroll through the stuff I don't need to find what I really want.

I wonder if I've explained what I mean...

My question is: can something be done to prevent the dependencies to appear in the menu's?

Any help is appreciated!

Can we delete any .sc4 lots or are their some pluggins that only work with them in the file system. I know some .sc4 lots are just to show "props" and aren't usable in the pull down menus. But I am not sure if I would delete all .sc4 and expect all plugins to work. I know I have perhaps made this a little confusing, so really my question is: Can all .sc4lots be deleted or are there instances where they are needed for a file to work properly.

Originally posted by: Tidalpool

Can all .sc4lots be deleted or are there instances where they are needed for a file to work properly.

</P>quote>

Yes, whats needed is the .model and .desc files. But files may be contained in a .dat file and the .sc4lot file cannot be deleted, and I've no idea how to extract files from a .dat.

One of the worst parts of SC4 is it's stupid Sims-inspired GUI. The 1 by X menus are terrible for sorting through tons of custom content.

Too bad Maxis didn't create a moddable GUI (think World of Warcraft).

I started a topic on this in the modding forum a month or so ago

You should be happy to here that Andreas Roth and Daeley are working on something to help aid with the numerous icons in the sub-menus.

If you want to read the thread on this go HERE

-trigger

• Original Poster
  • Pjot and Slice thanks for the information, it's going the right direction!

Trigger thanks for telling about the thread you opened. I see that we are in part talking about the same thing.

But what I would want to add is that there are some things that I don't want at all in my menues, like (just as an example) a bunch of railway buildings that came in BSC_simcityrailutils. This is composed by a DAT file and 7 ploppable lots (.sc4lot files).

Although I removed the 7 sc4lot files from my plugin folder they still show up in my rail menu. I guess that's because I kept the DAT file, which I need since it's a dependency (of the MPM rail yard if I remember well). Maybe there's just no way around this...