Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raymie

Want to download something, but no STEX

27 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Now, I want the newer Euro road texture mod. But, the STEX is 1000 feet below me and I can't dig down that deep. What should I do?

The rant:

The big 3 SimCity fansites (no offense, PEG) each have their own custom content, native to the site. Here, that means BSC and NDEX. Why is it that people have to register with other sites to get the best custom content? SimGoober and DuskTrooper: wake up and smell the SimCoffee!

So, what you are basically saying that you cannot find a Euro Raod texture, and that NDEX and BSC's sites require registering to download custom content?

No offence but make a decision here... Would you rather pay monthy to use those sites or just spend about 30 minutes registering your name to them?

I know I would choose the latter, and IMHO that 'rant' was pretty much something I get every day of my life, and it makes me laugh...

Nealos101

Let's make it clear. The forums are not only the ones being redesigned, but the STEX is also being given a makeover, which may mean a brief closure of the exchange for a period of time to get the changes done safely. We will eventually have the exchange back online soon, so please be paitient.

As for the bit about the 'pay-to-download' sites, you should be aware that those three are not just the only ones that make great custom content. I have to say, people like Ill Tonkso and rp2005 are making great BATs that even I would feel proud of.

BSC does not have a "pay to download" site. The BSC have a private site where members can exchange information and advice without clogging up threads here.
    As far as I know NDEX does not have a "pay to download" site either.

Originally posted by: Tracker Now, I want the newer Euro road texture mod. But, the STEX is 1000 feet below me and I can't dig down that deep. What should I do?quote>

The Euro Road Textures Mod can be downloaded from SimsZone.de. The installer and the readme file is in German, though. If you can't wait for the STEX being online again, download it from here (the second download on the list).

So sad.  It took me about ten seconds to register, what's the big deal?  Seems to me you should be thankful there's a place where people can share their creations for others to use. 

Originally posted by: suaviscor So sad. It took me about ten seconds to register, what's the big deal? Seems to me you should be thankful there's a place where people can share their creations for others to use. quote>
    This guy is absolutely correct!

Indeed. NDEX does not have a download site, free or not, either.

So, once again, people, stop whining about the new ST, and the current unavailability of certain features. They will come.

It takes a few seconds to register, it's free to register and when you register you can download over 8000 files for your game, why make another website when you have enough here 42.gif

umm...not sure that the originator is paying attention, but I have to agree with everyone here, the STEX had/has over 8000 files of BATs, MODs, LOTs, Tile Textures, Props, and et cetera. I searched and searched during the time that ST was upgrading and found nothing that compares to its content. Even SimCity Force doesn't come close.

Now with over 8000 files, a lot of them had dependencies which pointed to other files on and off the STEX. When the new software was installed, I imagine that updating all of those files will take some time. That, to me, seems like quite an undertaking, especially for a site that is primarily free and open to anyone who
    registers.

So, maybe you could cut him some slack and be patient?12.gif

ncd

This is why I downloaded all files a months ago. Bat's,Props and modd files in fact it fix a lot of problems with Simcity 4. Took a couple days to make sure I had all props then I installed them all and then burn the Simcity folder have seprateing the lots on to dvd. So if and when the STEX comes back I would suggest people delete their plugin folder and get all the bats and props along with modds. It really did fix a lot of issues I was having. Now I just backup the plugin folder to a dvd. this is helpful in the event I have to redo my pc.

Originally posted by: godsend

So if and when the STEX comes back
    quote>

its not a question of if, but when STEX comes back, so have no fear there.

I would suggest people delete their plugin folder and get all the bats and props along with modds. It really did fix a lot of issues I was having.quote>

why on earth would we delete our plugin folders???? most of us already have the bats and props, and even if you didnt why would you delete what you already have?

Now I just backup the plugin folder to a dvd. this is helpful in the event I have to redo my pc.quote>

this is always sound advice. always back up your plugins and regions too.  dvds arent exactly the cheapest medium to use, but back it up to whatever suits your tastes/wallet.

Originally posted by: DuskTrooper

Indeed. NDEX does not have a download site, free or not, either.

So, once again, people, stop whining about the new ST, and the current unavailability of certain features. They will come.quote>

Exactly! These people need to stop whining. Everything is coming out soon... Personally, there's a lot of stuff that Tracker said that I don't get. But anyways...

Because Simtropolis would probably not be the biggest and most famous site in the SC4 universe if it didn't have anything you don't get anywhere else.

Because likewise, other communities want to distinguish themselves and attract visitors who might become members, and then maybe active contributors.

Because it is quite understandable that those who give don't want to register at n sites, upload their stuff on n different exchanges, adapt their uploads to the respective requirements of these exchanges, and answer user queries on n sites. Hence, those who take are asked to register at whatever site they want to download from, which I don't regard as disproportionate.

Originally posted by: ten1902
    Originally posted by: godsend So if and when the STEX comes back quote>
    its not a question of if, but when STEX comes back, so have no fear there.
    I would suggest people delete their plugin folder and get all the bats and props along with modds. It really did fix a lot of issues I was having.quote>
    why on earth would we delete our plugin folders???? most of us already have the bats and props, and even if you didnt why would you delete what you already have?
    Now I just backup the plugin folder to a dvd. this is helpful in the event I have to redo my pc.quote>
    this is always sound advice. always back up your plugins and regions too. dvds arent exactly the cheapest medium to use, but back it up to whatever suits your tastes/wallet.quote>
    DVD's cost like 50 cents 100 pack for $28. which makes them pretty cheap. 8x= http://meritline.com/ritek-ridata-branded-8x-dvdr-dvd-r-media-blank-discs.html 16x are like $41 http://meritline.com/ritek-ridata-16x-dvd-r-media-dvdr-blank-media-silver-matte.html What I ment by deleteing the plugin mine was such a mess. If you have it nice and seperated then don't. I still have some issues but I am unable to figure out what lots are causeing it. I have some blank_CO$$ lots that popup every once in a while. I am still tring to hunt those down. In my city basicly all I see is the base with signs all over then and no buildings. It was wrost before I deleted my plugin and redid it.

Originally posted by: Tracker

My question is: Why does such good custom content have to stay on one site?quote>

I've got an idea! (ST Lightbulb smiley) 37.gif

Why don't you go make your own BATs and MODs and then make a website and upload them to it...

People don't upload stuff to other sites because it is a lot of work...and to be honest...mostly worthless...just be patient! ST will be back...

Dirk and his staff have busted there butt on improving ST.So sit back and enjoy the ride and leave the driving to them.

Let me add my pennies worth. I think the guys running STEX are doing a wonderful job. The look of the new site is just simply FANTASTIC!!!!

Let us all exercise some patience here and give the girls & guys doing the upgrade the applause they deserve.

Play they game and have fun, life is to short to become irritated at something so minor.