Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gman55

Simtropolis' search rank

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I did some quick searches using terms like "Sim City 4," SimCity 4," and "SimCity 4 download" and was suprised to see that Simtropolis didn't show up on Google or Yahoo for at least 5 pages. (I'll be honest, I didn't feel like checking more.) When I searched for "SC4 downloads," I got one hit from Google...but Google bots picked up on a random utility lot in the STEX and not the main site.

I know the results are meaningless because Simtrop doesn't require a large traffic volume for ad revenue, but this could be a problem for players who've never heard of this place. And the above terms and the ones that people are most likely to use.

As the largest SC4 community on the Web, I thought Google or Yahoo would've picked up on this place.

That is probably because the site has been down for a while.  I did an MSN search for ST while it was down, and one of the returns was called "We'll be back!"

I think Dirk may need to send in the information that the website is back up because search engines don't just automatically put your website in their engine when you create a website, you have to submit it! And technically, he created a new website in most forms.

Or the search engine may do it themselves at the end of the month...

Or maybe in a few days everything will be back to normal...

Oh, who knows!?!?

(dirk)

Looking at the source from the home page, it appears that no <meta> functions have been placed in the header as yet. The search engines won't find the site until there is more than just the head symbol. Simtropolis is found, only.

Can I just dispel a myth here, meta tags are only useful for a minority of the current generation of search engines. More important now is the appearance of reciprocal links, and content. Google, to name but one, no longer relies on meta tagging for it's bots, but has a far more intelligent system for accumulating data on the sites out there in the ether. The main problem at the moment may simply be the fact that bots have scehdules, and they may not have been back through yet. There has been a kind of bot war going on recently between MSN, Yahoo and Google, to the point where, on one of the sites I run (without meta tagging I hasten to mention) Google had been through 5 times in one month and MSN a massive 5600 times! It may simply be unfortunate timing that the site was down when Google timed a run, but they'll be back as, like the common cold, they come around ALL the time, and when you least expect them!

We're on there, but the keywords are a little off. For simcity 4 we're on the second page though. Link to the page guys, with the text simcity 4 and if google spiders the link our ranking will go up (I think thats how google works right?)

Yeah, google page ranks by means of some fairly heavy algorithms, of which the most important is relevant page links, therefore the more active sites that can link to Simtropolis, the higher the PR will be. Links are just one of the mechanisms Google use, but they are the main one 9.gif