Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SilentSam

Difference between dense and medium-dense industry?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Is there any? I for one can't tell. I almost always start by zoning medium density, however, upgrading the zone to highest density doesn't seem to do anything. I just can't recall ever seeing any industrial buildings that show up in high-density but not medium. (I thought smelters were for a while - but no - they do show up in medium) Why is it there? What difference does it make? How can I purposefully grow "dense" industry if it does in fact exist?

Well, Industry is bad mr. However I have seen different buildings pop up. Dirty Idustry will eventualy morph over to wood processing. Which I think is a High Density factory. As for High Tech and Manufactoring, Idk if there is a High density building for them, but Im sure there is.

really the only difference is what types of buildings it allows. low density industrial (farms) only grows... well, farms. medium density only lets smaller factories pop up, and high density lets everything big show up. basically the same with other zoning too - to put it in a more understandible way, low density residential lets detached houses form, medium density is small apartments and townhouses, and high density is gigantic skyscrapers. hope it helps

ducky.gif//1D3

High Density actually allows for larger buildings(that pollute more usually), but they will build only if you have high demand, and lots of industry! Most High Density Industry are bigger than 4 by 4 tiles, and hold 100+ workers.

I try to avoid industry as much as possible because of its negativity and how it lowers land value. Every city has industrial areas. So i tend to surround it with parks and zone medium in attempt to gain some hi-tech. That being said your education better be swell. I try to avoid high density because of the heavy pollution and what not, unless I was making a nice industrial town!

• Original Poster
  • Oh so does it work like with residential/commercial where you only get x% high density depending on your regional industry population? If it's further divided by type (i.e. it looks at only dirty industry) that would explain it since I usually only have one or two cities doing dirty (usually the same ones that do coal power for everybody else)

Originally posted by: SilentSam

Originally posted by: Sotendonin

I believe it's only because the high tech industries will only grow in high density areasquote>

They definitely grow in medium as well.quote>

Oh,I'm sorry,,,I didn't know that (they never grew in my medium density areas,anyway... =/)

You can't get dense anything until you have 26,000 pop. of that type in your city. I never bother zoning dense until I get to that point. You just have to be patient and grow your city out before up.