Sign in to follow this  
thatmonkeysim

ST's NFL News Discussion

2,142 posts in this topic Last Reply

ok i think with this new forum that we have i think this is the perfect place for this...

so something really high on the NFL News is the Labor Agreement...

will it ever get pass and if not what do you think about having an uncapped year in 2007?

I hope it does pass, because in my opinion it is the only way to even the playing field.  Otherwise you get something like the baseball has with Yankees gobbling up everyones talent and then well what else is left.

Part of me hopes that it will pass because the Texans really need a better OL.  The other part of me doesn't hope that it will pass, because the teams with really deep pockets will offer salaries that the lesser teams can't match.

• Original Poster
  • well as of now the free agency deadline has been extended AGAIN to thursday.... lets again hope for something to happen

There has to be a cap.  Like adamspalmer and Voar Tok have said,  the teams in the biggest markets will take all the best players.  Then Lions will never, ever get out of the cellar!

Originally posted by: kage99

There has to be a cap.  Like adamspalmer and Voar Tok have said,  the teams in the biggest markets will take all the best players.  Then Lions will never, ever get out of the cellar!quote>

I enjoyed the uncapped years way back when.  Mostly because Jack Kent Cooke, owner the 'Skins, was a very rich man who didn't care what he spent on his hobby.  Which is why they won three super bowls.  Fun stuff.

Of course, the current owner, Dan Synder is an idiot so a lack of a cap wouldn't help.  

But, yeah, parity can be a good thing.

Originally posted by: SkiGeek

Originally posted by: kage99 There has to be a cap.  Like adamspalmer and Voar Tok have said,  the teams in the biggest markets will take all the best players.  Then Lions will never, ever get out of the cellar!quote>
    I enjoyed the uncapped years way back when.  Mostly because Jack Kent Cooke, owner the 'Skins, was a very rich man who didn't care what he spent on his hobby.  Which is why they won three super bowls.  Fun stuff. Of course, the current owner, Dan Synder is an idiot so a lack of a cap wouldn't help.   But, yeah, parity can be a good thing.quote>

I don't remember when the league didn't have team salary caps, but I remember hearing that in baseball, the Yankees were able to buy up so many good players that the team got to be too powerful and had to be split up.

However, like I said, the Texans desperately need a real OL, so maybe no salary cap would be a good thing.

without parity, i believe baseball has been slowly destroying itself. the same teams (the Yankees, Redsox, Braves, Cardinals) are in the playoffs year after year. there are teams which have consistently NOT made the playoffs year after year (Detroit, KC, Tampa Bay, Montreal/Washington).

if football were to go down the same path as baseball, i could see the same thing happening to football: a few teams buy championships, too many other teams consistently are also-rans. fans in the small markets lose interest, and the words "team contraction" are introduced to the sport every three years.

the salary cap is a good thing, IMO.

Don't remember when the cap was introduced.  But before free agency, there was no need for a cap.  You didn't have the free agent market driving salaries into the stratosphere.  Players who were moved were traded, or given an outright release.  If you were a good player, you probably could bet on playing for the same team your whole career.

• Original Poster
  • i defiently agree with MrC with this one... Its already bad enough that we see teams like the Colts and Patriots make it too the playoffs every year now... but i guess that is good GMing because they have lost many and gotten many through free agency and everything so they are able to keep up with their winning ways...

but it isnt fun when the same teams win the Super Bowl every year...

with the yankees and knicks [in Basketball] though... they have bought the best that money could buy... but they arent winning anything because the players get complacent(sp?) because they are getting paid alot just to be on the team or the players dont gel together like a White Sox or a Pistons team.

Originally posted by: MrCinatit

without parity, i believe baseball has been slowly destroying itself. the same teams (the Yankees, Redsox, Braves, Cardinals) are in the playoffs year after year. there are teams which have consistently NOT made the playoffs year after year (Detroit, KC, Tampa Bay, Montreal/Washington). if football were to go down the same path as baseball, i could see the same thing happening to football: a few teams buy championships, too many other teams consistently are also-rans. fans in the small markets lose interest, and the words "team contraction" are introduced to the sport every three years. the salary cap is a good thing, IMO.quote>

I have to agree with that logic.  The last thing that I want to see the NFL do is travel down the same path to obscurity that MLB is going.

Yea...if no salary cap is reinstated...for at least the next 20 years you will be looking at a bad SF, Texans, Detroit, Jets, and Arizona team. Of course, Detroit and Arizona might still be bad even with a salary cap, but w/o one it would only make the playing field less competitive and more permament.

I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.  I got my bill for this year's season tickets.  The tickets went up $10 each and the parking went up $15 per game. 

• Original Poster
  • wow... dont you think that they make enough money with 100K+ at alot of the games?! any they really havent won anything yet!!

I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.  I got my bill for this year's season tickets.  The tickets went up $10 each and the parking went up $15 per game. quote>

So, is that about an extra $200-400 per year?

What I find really surprising is how Reliant Stadium can charge $8 for a couple of hot dogs, and $12 for a couple of beers.  Twenty bucks for two people to have a hot dog and beer each is pathetic.

• Original Poster
  • A Deal was reached A Deal was Reached!!!!!!!!

- 30-2 (Bengals and Bills voted against it)

- Extention of 6 years

- 104 Mil Cap

- Peace in the NFL again!!

O yea do you think that some of the players that were cut might return to their former teams now?

Originally posted by: Voar Tok

Originally posted by: SkiGeek I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.  I got my bill for this year's season tickets.  The tickets went up $10 each and the parking went up $15 per game. quote>
    So, is that about an extra $200-400 per year?  quote>

I have three tickets (started with two; after a few years they asked me if I wanted a third. go figure).  So that's an additional $45 per game for 10 games (since we are required to buy the useless season tickets).  so it's an extra $450.  26.gif

Originally posted by: thatmonkeysim

A Deal was reached A Deal was Reached!!!!!!!! - 30-2 (Bengals and Bills voted against it) - Extention of 6 years - 104 Mil Cap - Peace in the NFL again!! O yea do you think that some of the players that were cut might return to their former teams now?quote>

if Bengal owner Mike Brown is against it, i am for it. the guy has dragged down that organization for long enough.

Originally posted by: thatmonkeysim

well if Detroit would get Matt Millen out then maybe they can do something quote>

I agree that Millen needs to go.  He's a linebacker, not a front office guy.  The problem is, he just signed a 7 year extension.  I don't know much about the new coach.  Hopefully he can bet more out of all their 1st round draft picks, that have flopped so far. 

• Original Poster
  • whole Front Office of Detroit needs to be ran out of town at this point to get any progress on that team.... im sorry but its not good looking for them for the next "7years"

Originally posted by: Voar Tok
    Originally posted by: SkiGeek I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.  I got my bill for this year's season tickets.  The tickets went up $10 each and the parking went up $15 per game. quote>
    So, is that about an extra $200-400 per year?  quote>
    I have three tickets (started with two; after a few years they asked me if I wanted a third. go figure).  So that's an additional $45 per game for 10 games (since we are required to buy the useless season tickets).  so it's an extra $450.  quote>

HOLY SMOKES!

Here's what you do.  You write out the check with the special ink that disappears after a few minutes (you know, just long enough for them to validate the check).  After the ink fades, their stuck with a worthless check; but if they try to write in a figure, you can sue them for altering a check.17.gif

Now, back to reality (I don't actually support doing what I just suggested - it was all meant as a joke) it would be nice if there was some sort of ticket price cap. 

Why don't we all send the commissioner a petition and tell him what an idiot Dan Snyder is.  (And while we're at it, we'll throw that stupid "deal" on food that they have at Reliant Stadium on the petition too).

• Original Poster
  • ski when i hear that the Redskins wont spend money to get good players... and then i hear what they did this week im kinda shocked lol so i guess thats why they wanted to raise the prices...

I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.  I got my bill for this year's season tickets.  The tickets went up $10 each and the parking went up $15 per game. quote>

Up another 15/game?
    What was it before? Im sure they do like here and you have to buy preseason game tickets as well when you buy your seasons  tickets.

Its 20 to park at Texas Stadium for Cowboy games ( or was a few years ago, NFL tickets  have been out of my price range for a  long time now, like watching it on the tube better anyways.) I expect when the new place is built next to the  Texas Rangers's  park( thank you dallas city council) it will go up again.

big fan of the saliery cap even though it does make the owners a lot more money
     then not having one although the cowboys have  not been any good since its been in place. 8.gif

Originally posted by: Easy Bakes

I just want to go on record saying that Dan Snyder bleeps.

Originally posted by: Easy Bakes

Doh Cowboys Sign Cancer. TO is comeing to dallas. We will rue the day.quote>

Dallas is dead.

Its official Yesterday. TO is a cowboy

Other big  trade/signings

Culpeper to the Dolphins
    Brees To the Saints
    Ramsey to the  J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets (  Pennington is probably done, hes been injured  more then hes played at this point)
    Ferrrot to the Rams
    Eddgrin James to die in Arizona.
    McCown to lions to die a slow death.
    Vinatieri probably going to Green Bay.

• Original Poster
  • the patriots dont have a star kicker anymore lol they released him before the agreement was made...