Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Easier way to lay down subway lines?

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

I always have ALOT of trouble laying down subway lines, since SC4 is a 3d view and its at an angle, whenever I go underground view it still shows some top soil/buildings/streets, the end result is my eyes bugging out and missplacement of subways. Is there an easier way to accomplish this, since I think my city is capped out because lack of transportation methods. (already have bus, highways, bridges). Thanks.

I think this is a matter of learning to use the tools you have. If you plan your subway in advance, things usually work fine. I tend to have my underground lines follow under a roadway or just beside one.

Planning in advanced requires alot of money that I usually end up spending in my highways, is there no alternative? Above ground railroads usually take up way too much space and destroy alot of property in the process.

I think this is a matter of learning to use the tools you have. If you plan your subway in advance, things usually work fine. I tend to have my underground lines follow under a roadway or just beside one. -- N_O_ Bodyquote>

I agree with N_O_Body. I think you just have to learn exactly how to use your subway and underground tools. I usually lay down subways next to my roads, so the placement of subway stations is easier, as well as zoning the subway tubes. face-icon-small-cool.gif

Also another tip, when placing stations in above ground view, open your data map and click on transportation and the volume of subways.... it should place a blue line accross your subway line that way you can follow it under buildings and easily place stations on top.

Originally posted by: Omegamrk

Planning in advanced requires alot of money that I usually end up spending in my highways, is there no alternative? Above ground railroads usually take up way too much space and destroy alot of property in the process.quote>

planning in advance doesnt necessarily mean actually placing the subway...just know what you are going to do in advance. dont forget you can always practice in your city as much as youd like and just exit without save and practice some more until you get the hang of underground tools.

what i do is i leave a tile of space with my busstops later when the traffic requires it i start bulding the network slowly at first then more rapidly ussually add aroud 8 stations per year. i start on he edge of the commercial/residenal area start a smaller /elevated one in the industrial areas

Originally posted by: Omegamrk Is there an easier way to accomplish this, since I think my city is capped out because lack of transportation methods.quote>
I find the easiest way to lay out subway is first think ahead to where you want the subway route to go. To hold a place for future subway stations, place a park, or other item so that you don't build over it later on. When you're finally ready to build your lines, replace the placeholders with subway stations in above ground view. Once all the stations you would like to place have been laid, switch to underground view and just connect the dots. The benefit of placing a park or plaza is that in the interim it'll boost the desirability and briefly boost the population cap.

there are also roadtop bus/subway stops available on the STEX, which i use for two reasons:
1) they look more realistic, and
2) they dont require and pre-planning, as far as leaving spaces is concerned.

once STEX is up and running do a search for the roadtop mass transit, it might help with your pre-planning

Originally posted by: bigredk001 I find the easiest way to lay out subway is first think ahead to where you want the subway route to go. To hold a place for future subway stations, place a park, or other item so that you don't build over it later on. When you're finally ready to build your lines, replace the placeholders with subway stations in above ground view. Once all the stations you would like to place have been laid, switch to underground view and just connect the dots. The benefit of placing a park or plaza is that in the interim it'll boost the desirability and briefly boost the population cap.quote>
Thanks, will try that out.
Originally posted by: ten1902 there are also roadtop bus/subway stops available on the STEX, which i use for two reasons: 1) they look more realistic, and 2) they dont require and pre-planning, as far as leaving spaces is concerned. once STEX is up and running do a search for the roadtop mass transit, it might help with your pre-planningquote>
Thanks, will also try this one out too!

Originally posted by: ten1902 there are also roadtop bus/subway stops available on the STEX, which i use for two reasons: 1) they look more realistic, and 2) they dont require and pre-planning, as far as leaving spaces is concerned.quote>
I tried a Road-top Mass Transit mod, and even though there was extensive documentation on all the various options, after spending over an hour reading through the documentation, and deciding which options I wanted to use, I got brown packages when I started to place them. I ended up deleting the mod, as I didn't want to spend anymore time on it. The one I was using was RTMT 3.10 made by Cogeo. How many RTMT mods are there? Which is the best to use? While RTMT doesn't require as much pre-planning as the normal bus/subway stations, you still need to ensure that you don't accidently cut off road access for some lots.

Originally posted by: bigredk001

I tried a Road-top Mass Transit mod, and even though there was extensive documentation on all the various options, after spending over an hour reading through the documentation, and deciding which options I wanted to use, I got brown packages when I started to place them. I ended up deleting the mod, as I didn't want to spend anymore time on it. The one I was using was RTMT 3.10 made by Cogeo.

How many RTMT mods are there? Which is the best to use?quote>

i dont know for sure withou checking STEX(which i cant do now for obvious reasons) how many different RTMT mods there are, but i know why all you got were brown boxes: you were missing dependencies!

i am using RTMTV3, and i cant find my documentation(ie. readme files) so i dont know exactly who made this mod, but i do remember an extensive list of of bus stops and such that were dependencies, so maybe go back and check out which ones you need once STEX re-opens.

While RTMT doesn't require as much pre-planning as the normal bus/subway stations, you still need to ensure that you don't accidently cut off road access for some lots.quote>

dont forget that lots only need 1 square of road access. meaning a 2x2 lot can have 1 of its road accessed squares blocked, as long as another has direct access to the street. and as far as i know it doesnt necessarily have to be the front of the building either.

edit i found the readme for my RTMT and it is made by cogeo, the same one you downloaded, so i suggest reinstalling it and downloading all of the dependencies(yes there are quite a bit, but its worth it)

Originally posted by: smac0009

Also another tip, when placing stations in above ground view, open your data map and click on transportation and the volume of subways.... it should place a blue line accross your subway line that way you can follow it under buildings and easily place stations on top.quote>

Now that is a great tip!! Thanks!

Originally posted by: rewright

Originally posted by: smac0009 Also another tip, when placing stations in above ground view, open your data map and click on transportation and the volume of subways.... it should place a blue line accross your subway line that way you can follow it under buildings and easily place stations on top.quote>
Now that is a great tip!! Thanks!quote>

I just came accross that accidentally. I was looking at my subway volume and noticed it was too high in some areas so I layed down another line with that menu still open. True Story

I can't get this blue line to stay open, what am i doing wrong?

I plop the station then run the line to it. The station shows in the underground view. I try to place the sub stations next to, or very close to the bus stations. Like the bus station the sims seem to only walk about 8 to 10 tiles to get to them. I also try not to place the lines under other transit lines because the congestion is accumulative [two yellows make a red].

Originally posted by: ten1902 i dont know for sure withou checking STEX(which i cant do now for obvious reasons) how many different RTMT mods there are, but i know why all you got were brown boxes: you were missing dependencies!quote>
I am pretty sure that I downloaded all the dependencies. As a rule I generally don't like to download mods that have more than one or two dependencies, but the RTMT was something that I really wanted to try out. One thing that could make the RTMT really simple to use is to have an installer much like the current version of NAM I have. Select the options you want to install and then you're done.
Another thing that made installing even more complex and time consuming was the whole single prop vs prop family options. It mentions that you can't have both the single prop and prop family options installed for bus stops at the same time, but a question I have is can you have the prop family option for both subway and bus?
i am using RTMTV3, and i cant find my documentation(ie. readme files) so i dont know exactly who made this mod, but i do remember an extensive list of of bus stops and such that were dependencies, so maybe go back and check out which ones you need once STEX re-opens.quote>
I may have to do that.
dont forget that lots only need 1 square of road access. meaning a 2x2 lot can have 1 of its road accessed squares blocked, as long as another has direct access to the street. and as far as i know it doesnt necessarily have to be the front of the building either.quote>
True. In the readme, there are suggestions on how to avoid the no connection problem. One is to place these at intersections, as zones even if their arrow is blocked, can also get road access off to the side. In most cases I find even if I create a 3x3 lot, the game will usually break it up into 3 1x3 lots, and as a result, you can get problems if you're zoning and not paying close attention.
edit i found the readme for my RTMT and it is made by cogeo, the same one you downloaded, so i suggest reinstalling it and downloading all of the dependencies(yes there are quite a bit, but its worth it)quote>
I'll take another look at it.

try going into "Zone" view.
Dont know if that'll stay for the underground mode, but you can try. 
(I dont have SC avail right now)

Originally posted by: ten1902 i dont know for sure withou checking STEX(which i cant do now for obvious reasons) how many different RTMT mods there are, but i know why all you got were brown boxes: you were missing dependencies! edit i found the readme for my RTMT and it is made by cogeo, the same one you downloaded, so i suggest reinstalling it and downloading all of the dependencies(yes there are quite a bit, but its worth it)quote>
Once STEX came back up I did a search for Road Top Mass Transit, and I came up with two (search for "Road Top"). Cogeo's, and one by Deadwood. I downloaded deadwood's (one for bus, the other for subway+bus) and it's very simple and easy to install. Both packs come with an installer, and they install around 5 files. There are no external dependencies, and nothing complex about the installation. You do have to decide whether you want the Euro or Maxis road textures though, and it's as simple as deleting the texture file you don't want. The downside to deadwood's compared to Cogeo's is that there is no customization for how your stops will look, but that isn't even a concern for myself. All I want and need is something simple that will give me bus and subway access without taking up a tile. So, for those looking for a RTMT mod, but don't want the complexities of manual installation and configuration, deadwood's RTMT comes highly recommended by myself.

I was going to suggest the same thing as bigredk001... place the stations first so you can see where the line(s) should go. Find out where your traffic is most conjested, place stations at the closest intersections, and map the routes according to the commuting directions or the most heavily-conjested roads. Planning ahead has never really worked for me because it's sometimes difficult to predict where traffic will be concentrated and where the commuting will take our Sims. However, if you lay a subway line ahead of time and try to encourage Sims to use it, concentrate high-density zoning around the stations to maximaize their effectiveness. Cities like Toronto and Vancouver do this well: the communities generally expand upwards and around the stations to allow a faster commute. I attached a satellite image of one Toronto line to illustrate the building density around the stations.

On the other hand, you could also try the road/El-train stack feature from the NAM. This saves space since you're elevated line is placed directly on top of the road instead of using tiles exclusively. It's a little easier to manage visually, but a lot harder to line up for desired directions. You can't use them with (or crossing) one-way roads either, unless a newer version is available that I don't know about.

post-142014-12985059343509_thumb.jpg