Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thomil

The Republic of Vineta - My first CJ

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Notes to start with:

for this CJ I am using a map from the STEX. The name of the map is Island of Doom, but since the STEX is still down, I can't find out which user made it. I also use the terrain climate mod by mayspacy, as well as the NAM and numerous other mods from the STEX.

As this is my first CJ, please feel free to correct me if I make any mistakes, and also do not hesitate to express constructive criticism.

Enough of the talk, please sit back and enjoy the ride.

It is in the Baltic Area of Europe, of the coast of modern day Latvia, where the story begins. During the 13th Century AD, the Teutonic Order had increased its territories across the southern coast of the baltic sea, from Königsberg (modern Kaliningrad, now Russia) to Tallinn (Modern Estonia) and established outposts along the coast of Lake Peipus. During their expansion, the order reached the border of Russia. Then, on April 5th 1242, it happened: At the shores of Lake Peipus, the armies of the Teutonic Order and of the Count of Novgorod, Alexander Newsky. Details of the battle are scarce but it is believed that up to 15000 combatants of the Count of Novgorod, and 10000 combatants of the Teutonic Order were involved. The Defeat of the Teutonic Order at Lake Peipus triggered a series of upheavals inside the order, and a group of knights of the order decided to leave the mainland, believing that the rule of the order was coming to an end. on a foggy July morning, a fleet of ships left Danzig no a heading north, towards an Island which had a mythical name, an Island that had been a symbol of wealth only a hunderd years before:

Vineta

After seven days of sailing with favourable winds, the fleet reached Vineta. There, the twelve ships of the fleet split up, after they had found out that Vineta had originally consisted of two islands. After finding good berthing grounds, and good territory for farming, they set about settling the Silands to create their new state. The following pictures are from the only surviving chronic of Vineta, written and illustrated by the leader of the settlers, Bernhard von Aussee. It was written in 1256, after the islands had been successfully settled.

MarienburgTownHistoric.jpg

The Town of Marienburg, the Capital of the Order State of Vineta. it is named after the original seat of the Teutonic order, Marienburg (now Malbork) Castle in Danzig (Gdansk), modern day Poland

MarienburgCitadelHistoric.jpg

The Citadel of Marienburg. The Seat of the Government of the Order State until 1960

Josefshafencastlehistoric.jpg

The Tower Fortress of Josefhafen, the first castle to be built by the order on Vinetan soil

Josefshafen-Historic.jpg

The walled Town of Josefshafen, the first settlement on Vinetan soil

JummeTownHistoric.jpg

Jumme is the capital of the second Island of the Order State, in the 17th century a moat was dug around the city, apart from the Cathedral and Bishops Palace at St. Andrä the only structure from that period to survive.

JudahsCathedralHistoric.jpg

The only existing picture of Judahs Cathedral (!), in the province of Rolandsberg. The entire province was closed to outsiders in the 15th Century and has remained so ever since, and the Cathedral itsself, an artefact form the original civilisation on Vineta is a restricted area, accessible only to members of the military and highest mombers of government

please make sure all images are 800x600, or less. Thank you. Mr. C.

- Thanks for the warning, Mr.C. It won't happen again. Pics are now resized Thats all for today, more updates coming tomorrow.

• Original Poster
  • Here comes the first update (this time with 800x600 pics face-icon-small-blush.gif )

After the successful settlement of the Island in 1242, the Order State developed slowly, for a time even under the administration of the Teutonic Order in Danzig. The town of St Andr

Wow really grand use of the old walls and monuments....

Very historical....

I hope the cities mach the well laid out history...

• Original Poster
  • @RadioheadFan

Thanks for the nice words, high praise indeed :blush

@Cjah

Thanks, I'll try to keep up with expectations....

Let's continue with the Update

When Vineta regained it's inpendence in 1920, The question was wether to reinstate the old constitution from 1774 or work out a new one. A referendum among the surviving population eventually cleared the way for the old constitution. The following structure of government was decided upon

VinetaGovernment.jpg

The Chamber of Commons is the lower chamber of parliament and the main legislative body of the government. All laws need to be approved by it before they can proceed to the upper chamber, the Chamber of Governors. This represents the seven Provinces ov Vineta, and has the right to veto every bill that has passed the Chamber of Commons for a maximum of three times. The High Chancellor is the head of government and the head of state. He is also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces *chuckle* He has , like the Chamber of Lords the right to veto every bill from parliament for three times. He is advised by the council of Ministers, which he appoints but which need to be approved by both chambers of parliament. The City and Provincial Councils are responsible for autonomous decisions, such as education on the primary school level, police matters, as well as infrastructure and finance matters.

For the next 45 Years, all government offices were located within the Citadel of Marienburg, as the country was little more than a backwater in the Baltic. However, in the mid sixties the country experienced an unprecedented Economic boom. Marienburg grew vom 15000 to 65000 inhabitants within less than 15 Years.

Since room in the Castle was becoming scarce, It was decided to build a new Government Center across the Elde River from the Old town.

MarienburgNewSideNight.jpg

The new Government Center

It was opened in 1975, and since then several minstries have been added to cope with the growth of the nation. Right now, 7000 civil servants are employed in the numerous ministries.

Currently, Five major political parties have seats in the Chamber of Commons

SeatNumberChamberofCommons.jpg

Slide1.jpg

The Results of the 2002 Parliamentary Elections

Liberale Arbeitspartei Vinetas (Liberal Workers Party of Vineta, LAV) -- A moderate social democratic party, and at the same time the second oldest political party in Vineta, havin been founded in 1875. It currently holds 89 seats (or 40% of available seats) in the lower chamber, and Thomas Verkener, the current High Chancellor, is a member of the LAV.

Demokratische Union Vinetas (DUV) -- The oldest political party makes up the second largest faction in the Chamber of Commons, with 33% oof the available seats (or 75 Seats) This conservative party currently leads the opposition against the LAV-VFP coalition under High Chancellor Verkener.

Vinetische Freiheitspartei (Vinetan Freedom Party, VFP) is the junior partner in the governing coalition with the LAV. The Liberal Party has been a driving force of economic and social reform in the Sceond Republic after 1920.

Bewegung Gr

• Original Poster
  • Time to start the Journey to Vineta

AarnauAirportOverviewPR.jpg

Marienburg-Aarnau International Airport, Vineta's Gateway to the world. It is currently used by 1.5 Million Passengers and serves 17 destinations in Europe. It is also home Base of the Flag Carrier, Air Vineta

MarienburgOldSide.jpg

The Downtown of Marienburg. This picture dates from the 1980s

Obereldingen-19Oct.jpg

When you leave Marienburg on the N1 heading South this is the first town you reach, the small community of Obereldingen, a farming community with 1500 inhabitants

Teufelskreuz-28Jul.jpg

The Capital of the Province of Terneusen - Land, the City of Teufelskreuz (30.000 inhabitants)

Teufelskreuz-15Aug.jpg

Teufelskreuz Elementary School. Since Soccer is by far the most popular Sport in Vineta, many communities have positioned their soccer pitches next to the schools, to keep young Vinetans active

Teufelskreuz-9Aug.jpg

The City Hall in Teufelskreuz also doubles as a provincial parliament and seat of the governor until the construction of dedicated facilities is approved. Believe me, that can take some years.

Teufelskreuz-23Jul.jpg

Neuenmanner Kaserne (Barracks) is the home of the 5th Cavalry Brigade of the Vinetan Self Defence Forces. Rumours are that they have been based here to protect the city of Rolandsberg which is strictly of limits for ordinary citizens but you didn't hear it from me, okay? 2.gif ....

Sdstrand-8Oct.jpg

After leaving Teufelskreuz on the N1 heading south, the road begins to wind down to the South Coast, towards the small (3088 inhabitants) town of S

• Original Poster
  • Sorry for the long time since the last update. A few days ago I was informed that I was no longer needed by my employer and that I was laid off. I spent the last two days filling out paperwork for the Labour Agencies and getting my uniform cleaned so I could return it to them. 21.gif7.gif But enough of that, let's continue with Vineta.

Due to its troubled past, Vineta has always made a point about having a small but strong military. Officially referred to as the Vinetan Self Defence Force (VSDF) it is also commonly known as the Ordensgarde (Order Guard), the official title until 1955, when the Armed Forces were reformed after an attempted landing by Soviet Troops (1950)in violation of the Nautholm accords of 1920.

Nautholm-4Dec.jpg

The Resort town of Nautholm, where the Accords of 1920 were signed, guaranteeing Vinetas Independence.

After Landing at Cape Neuenhorn and near Heinrichsfelde on the East Coast of the Main Island, Soviet troops quickly extended their beachhead to Zwischensee in the North and the Fields of Oneretea in the South. Only a daring raid by Vinetan Navy ships, which used a fleet of old pre-dreadnoughts (!) donated by Lenin to attack the beachhead at Heinrichsfelde, and non-stop attacks by the Fledgling Vinetan Air Force (at the time only a Squadron of Spitfires and another squadron of Gloster Meteors) operating out of Aarnau Airport held up the Soviet Forces. When Swedish Forces responded to a call for assistance from the Government in Marienburg even Stalin realized that he had pokered too high and withdrew his forces.

After the withdrawal, it became clear to the Government and High Chancellor Neuenmanner that the Nautholm accords were void as long as Stalin was in power. It was thus decided to reform, and re-equip the Order Guards. Due to its location between Sweden Finland and the Soviet Union, it was deemed impractical to build a big fleet of cruisers and carriers, and equally impractical to build up a large conventional. It was instead decided to refocus defensive priorities to coastal defence. The old Naval Yards at Eldenmund and Marienstrand were reactivated and, until the first self-designed warships were available, the fleet consisted of the seven pre-dreadnoughts of the original coast defence arm, and six originally Italian destroyers that had been interned by the Royal Navy in Malta.

EldenmundNavyBaseandDockyaed.jpg

Eldenmund Navy Base and Dockyard, home of the seven ships of the 1st Corvette Squadron and their flagship, VNS Geist der Freiheit (Spirit of Freedom).

Marienstrand-7Nov.jpg

Marienstrand Naval Base and Dockyard, now partially used as a commercial port (Now that's one way to reduce the defence budget and increase port security at the same time 9.gif

In 1966, the first batch of indigenously designed Seeteufel-class corvettes were delivered to the navy, enabling some of the pre-dreadnoughts to be retired from service. This first class of "home-made" corvettes eventually numbered 24(!) They were to see combat pretty soon, because, on June 12th 1974, the Soviet Union launched another attack on Vineta, citing safety risks to Soviet shipping from "Vinetan Pirates" as the reason. It was a disaster. The First Corvette Squadron, operating out of Eldenmund, the 3rd destroyer Squadron from Marienstrand and newly purchased McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantoms operating out of the newly constructed Oldener Feld Air Base sunk most of the invasion fleet before it had even reached the range of the newly established coastal defense batteries. Those few that did get through were caught in a hellish crossfire of aicraft, shipborne artillery and shore-launched ASMs.

OldernerFeld-21Oct.jpg

Olderner Feld Air Base, completed in 1971 is the heart of Vinetan Defence. It is the home of 2 fighter squadrons ( operating F-14D Tomcats and F/A-18 Hornets), one Maritime Patron Squadron operating S-3 Vikings, and the Military Airlift Squadron operating C-130J Hercules

But Vineta has more to offer than just military bases (though I like them 9.gif ) A whole district along the eastern coast is referred to as "Spa County" due to the large concentration of Resort and Wellness hotels in the region.

The town of Nautholm is probably the most famous, as it has been the scene of numerous movies and is also regularly host of high level government conventions and international conferences. It is most famous for Lenins Visit in 1920 during the final phase of the negotiations for Vinetan Independence.

Nautholm-13Dec.jpg

The park of the Resort Hotel. It has been the scene of movies of all kind, intense discussions bethween statesmen and all sorts of scandals involving the rich and famous of Vineta

Nautholm-30Dec.jpg

By now, Nautholm is also a popular getaway for the emerging middle classes of Vineta. Hotels catering to their need have opened, as has a Starbucks coffee shop, which I don't mind at all (I gotta have my coffee) 2.gif

M

• Original Poster
  • @sloppet, jacqulina Thanks for the comforting words, and sorry about the long break

Sorry about the long delay as far as updates are concerned, but Real Life events kept me busy

After I covered the Spa County in the last update, we'll take a look at the East Coast Provinces and it's capital, Heinrichsfelde.

Heinrichsfelde-7Mar.jpg

Aerial View of Heinrichsfelde, taken during the approach to Aarnau International Airport. With about 5.000 citizens, it is the smallest provincial capital of Vineta.

Deulenberg-2Oct.jpg

The 1.100 inhabitant town of Deulenberg in the province of Southeast Vineta. Settlement of this Province only started in 1996, after the completion of the N3 National Road between Zwischensee and Willenstrand. Deulenberg itself was founded in 2001, and development reached an early peak in 2006, when the Inter-Resort Group opened a resort hotel in the town, which by then had 800 inhabitants.

Deulenberg-23Oct.jpg

The Deulenberg Lake Resort Hotel, and it's park. The statue in the middle of the lake is a depiction of Lenin, who is hailed as a liberator in Vineta. The park is smaller than that of other resort hotels all over the nation.

Deulenberg-9Oct.jpg

"Downtown" Deulenberg. Shortly after the opening of the Deulenberg Lake Resort, the popular Family Inn resort chain opened another hotel in the town, aiming at less afluent clients. Another Lenin Statue, and the local Lutheran Church can also be seen.

Deulenberg-14Oct.jpg

Now WHAT is going on here? Did the local fire department screw up the last anti-radiation-drill? 46.gif9.gif

Before I wrap up this update, I'll make one more quick detour to the East Coast.

Kehlenwerder-12Jul.jpg

This is Kehlenwerder (869 inhabitants). Located on the West Coast of Vineta, this small village is hailed as one of the most idyllic places on the island It is also the birthplace of High Chancellor Jerener, the current head of state.

Kehlenwerder-3Aug.jpg

Yet another Lenin Statue. That guy really is popular here in Vineta! The Church (St. Aegyd am See) is home to one of the few Roman Catholic congregations in Vineta. As usual in the smaller communities, the local soccer pitch is located right next to the school.

Kehlenwerder-17Jul.jpg

The same ensemble from another perspective.

Kehlenwerder-10Aug.jpg

Here, in one of the houses along the C7 County Road to St Veit am Hang, Thomas Jerener, the High Chancellor of the Republic of Vineta was born in 1969. Due to the lack of exact birth and residential records during that period, the exact place is not known

Thats all for today. More coming up. Please feel free to comment!

Kehlenwerder looks great; I love the church by the bridge.  The historic and demographic details (e.g. Lenin & Lutherans) make Vineta seem like a real Baltic place.  The windmills in the farmland are nice and realistic, too.

• Original Poster
  • This CJ is now officially dead and will be discontinued!

When I tried to boot my Computer this evening, WIndows XP would not start, not even in safe mode. It later turned out that, for some reason, Drice C: had been completely erased! All 160 Gigabytes were gone!. My father and I will try to figure out what happened, but it is a pretty safe guess that I will have to start all over again. Over the next few day, I will post the last remaining pictures from my Photobucket Account annd then, this CJ will be history.

Thanks to all the people who encouraged me on

Regards

Thomas Milde (aka thomil)