Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MojaveNC

I bought a MacMini duo

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • So I couldn't resist the urge & bought a Mac Mini duo. I have no high expectations, but I do hope that the damn thing runs SC4 better than my 867 mhz G4 with 512 mb of ram....

Unfortunately, due to the integrated graphics solution on the Mini, the chances of it running significantly better are low. Were SC4 native to Intel and coded to take advantage of more than one processor things would be better despite the integrated graphics but the graphics are what really make the difference in the end.

Make sure you put as much RAM in it as you can...you can do 2 gigs now.

whats the specs of it? do you have 10.3 or 10.4 on it and by this duo is this the new intel dual processor core,a s I am aware there are still some teething problems with compatability with these.

• Original Poster
  • Results? Inconclusive. It ain't great, but it's not worse than the old G4. Now of Aspyr will port the damn thing...

• Original Poster
  • Day Two: Any time I click an action button (open city, region control panel, etc), the game unexpectedly quits. Aspyr offers no help.

I'm pretty sure that the SimCity is one of those games that doesn't corrently run very well with the Rosetta translator. I know the sims 2 is. In fact the sims 2 rarely even boots up at all. Typically Aspyr games are PC games that translate themselves for the PowerPc (hence they need powerful macs), but now the game has to be translated back to Intel by Rosetta! Great huh?! 26.gif You need a MacMiniG5!

I think i have a macmini G4 and it works fine for SC4... It is slow some times, and the graphics isint that good, And if you have a big city i think your cheetah speed wont work as much... either that or i have a G5...

I've been running SC4 for the past few days on my 2 Ghz MacBook Pro w 1GB of RAM & 256MB Radeon x1600 and it has worked fine, a little laggy at times but it hasn't crashed at all. I have a feeling that another GB of Ram would help, and a Universal Binary would be REALLY nice but for the time being it is perfectly playable under Rosetta.