Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rochefort

Rocheforts Tutorial thread

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi everyone

Due to the many views and comments posted on my tutorials, I have decided to start this thread in order to announce new tutorials I am due to release and to offer the opportunity for you to request tutorials on design/methodology subjects of your choice.

Firstly, I'd like to make a few points on the requests.

My tutorials are more about design and the use of available tools/downloads to enhance, vary and inspire your gameplay. This is the theme I wish to continue through the use of the thread.

I am no expert with an unlimited ability. Some things I'll be able to help with and some I wont. Hopefully if enough people view the topic regularly, we may get offers of help from other members of the community better placed to assist you with those subjects I am not able to do personally. In cases like this, I will reply that I cannot help and offer up the subject for others to take on.

I would respectfully request that people do not undertake a tutorial requested on this thread without first posting their offer and then agreeing to take on the subject. This is not because I wish to monopolize the tutorial theme, but only so I do not work on the subject only to see the same tutorial posted the day before I'm about to publish it.

Also, I'd ask that any offers to help are also followed through. Again, the point of the thread is to offer help to the community and none of us want to see wasted posts.

I do not regularly use the BAT nor do I make maps so this is not the place to request such things. There are whole forums set up for this and they are full of exceptionally talented individuals who will help you with this.

Hopefully, this thread will prove helpful...that's the whole point of it...and as I get a lot personally out of posting the tutorials, I hope to be able to contribute back to a community that has helped me enormously already.

So, on with the announcements...

I am about to release a tutorial on producing realistic and aesthetically pleasing retail centres. I hope to have the text finished later today, so it should be on the forum this evening.

Here's a couple of quick screenshots of what's to come..

18%20-%20Zoom%20Out%20SC%202.JPG

<ahttp://www.simtropolis.com/idealbb/files//21%20-%20Finished%20SC%203.JPG align=baseline>

Next off the production line will be a tutorial containing 10 seperate ideas for sprucing up your city. Subjects include Getting The Most Out Of Landmarks, Custom Parks and a neat little underbridge roundabout. This should be ready to go live either over the weekend or early next week.

I am aiming to produce these 10 idea tutorials at the rate of one per month, but it may vary dependant on my social life (even I have one).

Well, that's all for now. I hope you'll find this thread useful, as indeed I hope you actually find the tutorials useful.

Regards

Rochefort.

This sounds like a good idea.  You could also think about adding links to all of your tutorial.  I personally like the ones I've read and found them helpful.

Originally posted by: Simshoe This sounds like a good idea. You could also think about adding links to all of your tutorial. I personally like the ones I've read and found them helpful.quote>
    Indeed, I would also like to see, perhaps, a Tutorial subcategory on the forums. And also, one of my pet peeves, I would like to see the tutorial (whichever one it is) added as a DLable document. I know that one can, if one has Word, copy it off but that certainly is a hassle and not always successful. When I use a Tut I like to have the system up so I can try it out "online", so to speak. beer.gif Hoist one for me, guys!

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the comments guys. In my old signature I had the links to the tutorials but they all got lost with the upgrade. I'll be adding them again soon. As for the tutorial subcategory DeKoven, you'll need to take that up with the admins although I agree it would be useful. Rochefort Edit: I am preparing a tutorial on Marinas which I will hopefully be able to release this evening (GMT)

• Original Poster
  • Hi everyone

Just to announce that I am just finishing off another tutorial, which I hope to be able to post either later tonight (doubtful, but maybe) or at some point tomorrow (more likely).

This one will be showing some ideas I have on taking your transportation network through scenic areas of your regions that you may not necessarily be developing.

I've seen quite a few great examples in the CJs, so i thought I'd put forward my own ideas on the subject.

Rochefort

• Original Poster
  • Hi everyone

In response to a request by Zugtroll I am posting a small explanation of the combinations resulting in the use of smoncrie's hole digger lots to produce channels for transport networks and the visual effect created when you lay bridge puzzle pieces across them with the NAM (I hope that's legible?).

Firstly, I have to give credit and thanks to smoncrie for producing these excellent tools for us. I've stated many times that they are my absolute favourite tool and my own personal feeling is that they are the most crucial plug in after the NAM.

To start, here's a couple of quick screenshots of smoncrie's hole digger lots "in action".

1standardlotsintroshdl2uy.jpg

2deeperlotsintroshdl6un.jpg

Each hole digger lot produces a particular depth (or height if you're using the ground lifter lot) and although they are originally presented for tunnelling they can of course be used for producing sunken/raised transport routes. I use this system all the time in my cities and those of you who regularly read my tutorials will also know that I use them for much more besides.

The optimum depth/height is 15m from ground level and this will enable you to create a perfectly straight bridge. All other measurements will produce a slight (or extreme) variation.

You can also expand the area in question using either a further row of hole digger lots or by the single road tile method i.e. I regularly expand the sunken lot to two tile widths for sunken avenues/highways rather than use the hole digger allocated for the purpose.

The best way for you to understand this is to see the alternatives so, using roads as a constant in the theme, here are the combinations in order that they appear on my menu.

Rail 8m

3rail8mbridgeshdl1ru.jpg

Lift 15m

4lift15mbridgeshdl9ze.jpg

Road 14m

5road14mbridgeshdl3pw.jpg

Sunken 15m

6sunken15mbridgeshdl9tg.jpg

Avenue 14m

7avenue14mbridgeshdl6ut.jpg

Monorail 23m

8monorail23mbridgeshdl0gt.jpg

Ground Highway 12m

9groundhighwaybridgeshdl5lq.jpg

Rail 10m

10rail10mbridgeshdl8to.jpg

Road 17m

11road17mbridgeshdl0ds.jpg

Monorail 26m (anyone fancy driving across this one??)

12monorail26mbridgeshdl8ie.jpg

Well I hope this gives some answers to Zugtroll's question and that it may help some others who have been tearing their hair out trying to get the level bridges.

I have been long considering asking smoncrie's permission to produce a full tutorial on the extensive options available when using the hole digger tools so maybe watch this space for news on that.

If anyone has any questions they would like answered, please feel free to post them here and I'll see what i can do.

Regards

Rochefort

Rochefort, I truly think you should contact the SHS, to get your tutorials in the Omnibus. I'm sure they'd get in it, at least that last HDL one.44.gif ~Eskiman, of the Rochefort Fan Club.

hello

i.m not bumping this thread, but can you make a toturial which explains how to create eye pleasing city's, like completely irregular roadpatterns, but still functional, because somehow i can't.

thanks

Meastro444

• Original Poster
  • meastro444:

Well this is a subject reliant on many factors.

Firstly, the game is designed to function at its best using grid patterns but that doesn't mean you can't build a more realistic city with irregular road patterns.

The most important factor behind the functionality of the game (in my opinion) is commute times and job availability. Sims are lazy barstools and for some reason known only to maxis, they refuse to walk much farther than the end of their own driveway (slight exaggeration)..very frustrating when laying out transport networks. In addition, there are problems with the game's pathfinder which again tends to send commute times soaring.

The NAM helps with some of these issues and if you're not already using it I'd suggest you do, but the best solution is to plan your routes carefully and use plenty of MT to assist with keeping congestion down to a minimum.

I'm pretty sure there are some existing tutorials on helping you establish working cities and once the omnibus is up and running fully, I'd suggest a few hours spent sifting through there.

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do to provide some help in that direction.

Thanks for posting.

Rochefort

• Original Poster
  • Meastro444: Thanks for the post and the kind words.

I am almost finished on a new tutorial for sprucing up your Central Downtown rail station. As usual it's more design based stuff offering ideas on how best to make use of the BATs and lots available on the STEX.

Hopefully I'll be able to post it today or tomorrow latest.

Rochefort

• Original Poster
  • Hi everyone,  I'm a bit behind schedule with my latest tutorial due to a few crash issues with the game..you wont believe how many times I've had to redo the same areas due to game crash. I have a conflict somewhere cos I've also lost pretty much ALL my maxis textures and in game parks. Anyhow, I finally finished the station, took all the photos and named and filed them...quite a job as this next one has 34 images (the most I've used yet). I just have to upload em to Image Shack and I'll be ready to go, so fingers crossed the tutorial will hit the site tomorrow evening GMT. Here's a few snapshots to show you what's on it's way; zoomcomplete3gcs4dw.jpgwestrearcompletegcs8fz.jpgentrancecompletegcs8wx.jpg So, until tomorrow, bye for now. Rochefort ps. I love the new posting interface Dirk....this site gets better and better. Thanks for everything !!

• Original Poster
  • Hi Everyone

After a short break with the tutorials, I am now on something of a mission !!

Next one is in preparation and I'm working on it as we speak.

Look out for "Any Port In A Storm" - a tutorial on producing a good looking major industrial port for your coastal cities, complete with rail freight yard, repair dock and industrial zones.

ETA later today if I don't get distracted...the weekend if I do.

Rochefort