Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M-SIL

Fast-Food Ice Dirtier Than Toilet Water

42 posts in this topic Last Reply

Now THAT... is disturbing 14.gif. But me, being a typical American who loves fast food, won't be swayed by this. I think it just depends on the restaurant evidently. But that is still a scary find. 21.gif

Having worked in a number of fast food outlets, I can assure you that when the water came out of the ice maker it was exactly tap water. People do fail to wash hands, but anyplace I have ever worked, the ice wasn't available to put hands or scoops into. It was in dispensers.

The Florida board of health has to work on this.

Did you notice the UV lights over the lunch items on the bar in the Moose Factory? Guess why we use them. People don't always wash hands after using the sandbox.

Date: 2/23/2006 1:25:19 PM
Author: Mikeaut1
Now THAT... is disturbing 14.gif. But me, being a typical American who loves fast food, won't be swayed by this. I think it just depends on the restaurant evidently. But that is still a scary find. 21.gif
quote>

Same opinion...I'm not gonna stop eating fast food...but it is indeed gross...

I rarely order drinks at fast-food joints. But that is a disturbing thought (the ice).

On the topic of fast-food, I haven't had a McDonalds meal since late June. It was in New York, and I was tired from walking up the brooklyn bridge. It was the cleanest McDonalds I have ever seen. Near Wall Street on Broadway.

Date: 2/23/2006 5:20:58 PM Author: DuskTrooper This is why I do not usually order ice at fast food places.
quote>

Yeah, me too.

Dont forget the toilets are cleaned thoroughly every day, even those dispenser machines have little peepholes where the bacteria can spread into the machine itself.  Ever wonder why some parts of the machine actually turn an odd fungie-colour? mmm... lol.

You shouldn't really worry unless you are a health-mad person, you are more likely to die from a disease if you avoid simple everyday things because of statistics like these,  a person that eats mud will have a better chance at survial than a health-mad person, becuase their body has already taken in the bacteria and learnt to fight it.  You see, the bacteria will attack any time in any way it can, and you could just be in a state that you body won't be able to react against this new, outside bacteria and the bacteria will roam free...

It sucks thinking about, but that doesn't mean you have to start being really dirty, if you dont wash your hands after using the kitty litter then you'll spread all the germs YOU are immune to into lots of the foods, and then some poor helpless child will come along and eat it.  As well as the icky taste, they'll probably get a disease thanks to unhygenic people.

Nealos101

This was a supprizing Find?
There bacteria in the ice, OH MY GOD NO !
please.theres bacteria  EVERYWERE.

but it was a cool science fair experiment.

What you realy dont want to hear is  how dirty operating rooms realy are.

Date: 2/23/2006 9:43:19 PM Author: Easy Bakes

What you realy dont want to hear is  how dirty operating rooms realy are.

quote>

I remember being on the operating table, waiting for the anesthetic to kick in and seeing the light above me, hanging from the ceiling.   Inside the metal cover, there was a sticker that read LIGHT NOT STERILE in large letters.   I guess they want us to have something to ponder as we go under.

Don't you just love fast food?9.gif

I know I do! It's part of what makes America great!29.gif

I never put ice in my drinks, anyway. Takes up space in the cup that could be filled with soda, and just ends up melting and watering down your drink.

Germs are fun!5.gif

I only get fast food a few times a year, and get a drink with ice very rarely, but I use ice from hotel ice machines much more. I would imagine thats just as bad. If the ice is in a bin with a scoop, I only use it for my cooler though. You dont need a test to know that ice is contanimated. Yuck.

Woah thats really disturbing. Fast food places make me sick so i dont eat at them. From all the rumors ive heard about fast food places they make me stay away from them. Usually, if my family is on the road, we will stop there to get a soda or something. But thats all i get. But i agree with Mikeaut1, it might have just been that particular restaruant, but still..thats sickning. 28.gif

-Ellie13.gif

yet another excuse for me to not eat fast food.

there is one aspect of this story which disturbs me. that was the fact that all of this came from a school science project.
i don't even remember doing a science project when i was a kid. i think the closest i came was seeing how much chalk dust i could get out of erasers when banging them together behind the building (and how much dust i could inhale).
oh, how times have changed.

Date: 2/24/2006 7:11:50 PM Author: MrCinatit

yet another excuse for me to not eat fast food.

there is one aspect of this story which disturbs me. that was the fact that all of this came from a school science project.
i don't even remember doing a science project when i was a kid. i think the closest i came was seeing how much chalk dust i could get out of erasers when banging them together behind the building (and how much dust i could inhale).
oh, how times have changed.

quote>

LOL. That sounds like an interesting science project you did MrC. 9.gif

I find it disturbing too that this was all from a school science project. Then again, my school research team doesn't really have those types of experiments, where you go out and do something like what these people did. Maybe my school should look into doing more better experiments 3.gif.

That is disturbing. I hope that is not true in australia.14.gif

Good thing I go to KFC and get the pepsi in the cans and bottles and not from the drink machines! My grandmother said she saw some Hungry Jacks (Australian version of Burger King) staff putting sachets into the drink machines. So the drinks in the machines aren't even the real thing. Do you really want Powered Coke? Tempting isn't it!18.gif

Date: 2/24/2006 1:18:23 PM Author: Duke87
I never put ice in my drinks, anyway. Takes up space in the cup that could be filled with soda, and just ends up melting and watering down your drink.
quote>

Now I remember the other reason that I don't put ice in my drinks.  I guess that I'm safe.

Realistically though, the drive to make everything sterile has caused people to not gain immunity to diseases that a person would normally get and get over.  But because some of the germs live through the process of sanitation (hence the 99.99% warning) those germs reproduce a strain of disease that is immune to normal treatment.  Hence, we keep having to make new drugs to fight them.

Well, in response to that story, I'm really unsurprised. I worked in a fast-food outlet not too long ago, and you know those gloves that they wear for sanitation purposes? How often do you think those get changed? And refilling ice involved using an unsanitised pail and an unsanitised scooper. I have never had a drink from any fast-food place because of this.

The moral of this story: Buy a bottle of water instead.

Actually, tap water is better for you than bottled water. Bottled water is just pulled out of a river and given less chemicals than your tap water. I read one bottle where there were crisp clean mountains in the background. Suggesting it was fresh mountain water. Wrong. Read where it came from.

Source: Wellington County, Ontario, Canada.

Thats just north of where I live. Its pure farm land. No mountains, no big forests, just farmers crops. Its definately not clean fresh water. And its way too expensive anyways.

I never use ice so it is no prob for me.....

And TT is right.... how does it compare to sewers and such....

but hmm my 9th grade Geography teacher said most of the bottle water from a certain bottling plant built for a certain water/soda conpany and sold  to the OC(orange county) is from a well of ground water from by the majove....that must be some sandy water to begin with....

I rarely drink water....soda and teas and dranks for me....no wawa please.....

Date: 2/24/2006 9:49:07 PM Author: Cjah

I rarely drink water....soda and teas and dranks for me....no wawa please.....

quote>

They are both water-based, so you can't technically get away from it.

The chemicals and crap in the soda and tea gives them the opposite effect of water. you're dehydrating yourself, rotting your teeth AND burning holes in your stomach!

Yay!

You know if you brushed and drank more milk the yellow teeth wouldnt be a problem 3.gif

As for the holes in your stomach, eat healthier and theyll get fixed. If they get really bad you might have to get it removed, and then you wont be able to eat hard food. Scary.