Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

isc9114

Frustrating Ferry Issues

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • Hi. I love running rivers through my cities, and I'd like to be able to use ferries to transport people from my residential areas on one side of the river to the industrial zones on the other side. But whenever I plop down ferries on either side, I get nothing. I mean, the building plops down, but there's not capacity listed and all of the little icons are grey (like the apples in crowded schools). How do I get them working? Everything is normal - power, water, roads, at lowest possible elevation.

Help!

~ Ian

As coolotter88 said, you will need a road connection. In addition, if you have the NAM, the ferry terminals are transit enabled, and you will need to physically connect the road to the terminal.

Also, if you have any bridges, the sims will use them first. They love their cars.

Even without the NAM, the car/passenger ferry is transit enabled and you need to connect roads. (Roads.  Streets, avenues, one-way roads, and highways don't work)

Well Industry, I hate industry however I shall help you. The little roads on the Car and Passenger Ferries can be connected to main roads. I forget what happens if you dont do it, buts its a way to traffic the ongoing with the departing if yekn wha I meen ex6df.jpg

And the other thing is to wait. Sometimes takes time for the Sims to realize that there's a new transportation option in town. And as everybody said, if you have houses or industry, or commerce in the other side, it will be better. Also, I guess you should have the same type ferry on both sides, the one that carrries cars or just passengers.

I don't want to open a new topic so here goes. First, it's a great game. i got it a couple of days ago and,even if it is old it is still great Second, it doesn't work or i don't know how to use it I created a city terrain with large islands where i wanted some islands to be only industry. I put ferryes between them but they don't work. All the people in my city are unemployed (that is all but a few that work in the school) and the ferryes don't carry anyone. I can't figure out how to post a screenshot so here's a link http://img323.imageshack.us/my.php?image=islandopolismar220311519582647.png EDIT> i just talked with a friend who sent me some mods. He says that these worked with the original SC4 but he isn't sure about Rush hour. Should i delete these and put that NAS that i have been reading about? http://img323.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sc40go.jpg Tnx for the help or at least the will to sort out this problem

Are you sure those avenues are connected correctly to the ferries? I would bulldoze the connection, lay them so they are straight this time, and then wait several sim months to see if they are used.

Mighty-1, you can do better than the connections shown in the picture, if you have the NAM.  When using the original ferry terminal I like to do the following:

1) I drag roads that start on the ferry terminal and go just one tile away from it.
       2) Then I drag a one-way road so that it starts one tile further from the ferry terminal and ends
            on one of the roads just created.  
       3) I drag another one-way road so that it starts on the other road just created and ends one tile
            further from the ferry terminal.
       4) I drag an avenue onto the ends of the one-way roads.

The result is ferry terminal <=> road <=> one-way <=> avenue.   This looks like an avenue connected directly to the terminal and it works fairly well with lots of traffic.

The NAM does not change the transit enabling of the ferry terminal, except that it allows cars to drive onto the ferry terminal, turn around, and drive back out.

you can connect it any way you want but it must be connected, my CJ has that very feature and it works fine. you need ferries of the same type either car or pasenger and they must be connected by roads unless they are one of pegs then they use avenues.

One of the main issues when using Ferries is to make sure that it is plopped near deep enough water. Whenever the depth is to shallow the Feery terminal will not work.

Can we see some pictures?  My ferries are working well but I don't know what I'm doing differently.

You want pictures?   Here is a picture of the ferry terminal in an old city where I was experimenting with using lot foundations as walls.  Notice it is connected, indirectly to an avenue.   I think that the ferry was carrying 6000-8000 passengers.

It did not really need the parking lot, except that it allowed passengers to go directly to the street you can just see above it. I suppose they were using a hidden elevator!

smoncriefoundations11ra.jpg

Originally posted by: Birgitte Heuschkel I have a question as well regarding ferries: Will they transport people from city to city, across the boundaries, or only inside one city?quote>

Yes the ferries can transport between multiple cities, build 1 in a city and then another in the next door neigbour, as long as the water meets you will notice on the transportation view it shows the ferry going to the neigbour edge and....

Connecting with the other city 9.gif

Dam,canal lockMy ferries go as well as on distant distances through empty city on card,herewith their line of the motion is not noted on card of the region.But new trouble-ferries can not go through channels and floodgates(canal locks). Can i raise the level of water in river above dams?.As possible direct the ship-ferry-boat through dam(canal,canal-lock)without damages?

I found the right topic, but not my answer, so here it goes: I plopped some PEG ferrys next to each other, made road connections and went to another area to build, when I came back I decided to change the roads around the ferry, but now they won't allow me road access to the ferry, drawing road to or from the ferry gives me the RED zone, I demolished, dezoned and everything else I can think of, how do I get my road access back to these ferrys?

ovchar:  No, that's not possible.

Jabl0me:  Make sure the ground is completely flat.  Place road tiles individually and next to each other and they will completely flatten the land (you'll see what I mean when you try it).

Thanx, Jason

They seem to work, I tried and tested in another city to make sure there was ferry traffic before proceeding in the current city. But still, when I used to plop a ferry I could draw the roads from or to and through it, now it seems that the road has to be placed first then plop the ferry, once I plop it I get RED zone if I start my road at ferry or away from it and draw to it, could this be something with the NAM, I just recently installed that?!?!?!.

For ferries to work you must have deep enough water and a place for the sims to go; jobs. They can even be in another city as shown here. Notice how the ferry path skips right past the second terminal near the bridge and continues out of town instead. As mentioned sims prefer to drive over anything.

arnoraug31111140180270sp0.jpg

It shouldn't be too hard to connect or plop a ferry. It jut takes a little run time for the game to calculate a path. Ferry path is shown in purple. The second pic shows how it does not necessarily have to be flat. You can see I broke a street connection in the upper right to keep sims from driving and forced to take a boat.

arnormar9181141024823bf8.jpg

Exists such modes that big ships moved inwardly city and between city on river without damage-crashes and disappearances-punctually between port and with stop in them?

I think you are asking if ferries stop at more than one port and then continue into another city. No. I think they only go from point A to B. No multiple stops. In my example I never expected the ferry to leave the city. I was surprised by that.

I have had a few ferries appear to do that - stop at another terminal, before continuing onwards, out of the city. Though it probably is the passengers stopping at the terminal, and getting onto another ferry - in other words: 2 seperate routes that some commuters are taking advantage of.

What are the UDI missions reguarding ferries and how do they come about? I have got a few terminals in the cities I've got but never any missions to go with them.

Whale watching, to get the marina, and ferry of evil, it has no reward. The rest you need a seaport, or marina, or both.