Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dmlow

Loss of water and instant population loss for no reason?

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  •     Twice now I have played my city and there comes a point when depite having plenty of pumps and well connected pipes, the entire city loses water and the population drops from 180k to 30k. I can find NO REASON for this to happen. ANy ideas?

• Original Poster
  • both groups of my pumps are far away from pollution and i have never had a water pollution warning.

could be a sudden loss of power to the pumps too

check your pipe set up in the water view...see if the buildings are completely covered...if only partial covered...the buildings say their out of water...buildings have to have complete coverage

Do the pumps shut off, or does water stop reaching the rest of your city? I.E, pipes could deteriorate, if you lower your water budget.

Also, does the water loss and population loss occur simultaneously? In other words, the new month hits and suddenly you're down in population and have no water? Or do you lose water, see the no water zots, and then next month have lower population?

The former condition would likely be a bug. The latter probably an infrastructure problem, like pollution (unlikely in your case) underfunding causing deterioration, bulldozing something causing pipes to be bulldozed, etc...

If this is a serious enough problem, try to reproduce its occurrance, and tell us what led up to it.

I'm having this issue right now, which I can replicate time and again. I suspect some mod may be cause a problem, I've never had problems before, just added a bunch of mods, and now in one of my cities (haven't tried any others yet) once the next month hits, my water consumption skyrockets in my graphs, and no matter how many more pumps I add, the consumption will always meet whatever capacity I have. I can fix it by tripling my number of pipes so that all tiles are within 3 tiles from a pipe, but that's expensive and a pain. Very frustrated.

I'm having the same problem though not as drastic. My water supply graph indicates usage of about 100K gals/mo. and capacity of about 300K gals/mo. My pumps are pretty evenly distributed. Pollution barely registers on the data view and its nowhere near any pumps and I have 2 treatment plants in a city of just over 65K R pop. Yet every month or so zots pop up and I notice my water radius is only about 4 tiles from the pipe. I can't non-existant fix water pollution and supply problems! What's left?

dmrsunz: It sounds to me like your problem is that some of that overall capacity isn't connected to your residential zones. Check first to make sure that all your pumps/towers are connected even if you have some in dirty industrial sectors. Then check your pipes. They can breakdown over time which will stop water flow in that indivdual pipe so make sure you take a good long look at all of your piping to find any older broken pipes.

Yes, but wouldn't that drop in capacity show up in my Water graph? In that graph I see well over 3X required capacity. Does distance from pump to point of use factor into the the simulation? Or rather, as paperboy and arrow say, every pipe in the network should be traceable to every pump/source. Or both?

Just to follow up with my issue...

Of course there was a simple explanation. A large water pump was not connected. It looked connected. A pipe was leading into it from another major line just 1 tile away, but when I queried it it showed 0% usage. I ran a pipe completely through it and then into a second existing line and all those 100% usage pumps dropped to 30%.

Moral: Listen to N_O_Body; check those connections