Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolfan348488

A death in the family occured today

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • My master hard drive died this morning... taking everything with it.

Luckily... i had all my games, music, and pics stored on my slave 80gig drive. I took advantage of the opportunity and bought a 160gig Hitachi for $69.

Thank god i had all my SC4 stuff on my slave... i wasent going to redownload all the mods...

Date: 2/16/2006 8:32:05 PM
    Author:Dolfan348488
    My master hard drive died this morning... taking everything with it.

Luckily... i had all my games, music, and pics stored on my slave 80gig drive. I took advantage of the opportunity and bought a 160gig Hitachi for $69.

Thank god i had all my SC4 stuff on my slave... i wasent going to redownload all the mods...
    quote>
    Well, if your master drive contained your registry, I feel your pain: None of your installed programs are usable.

I feel so sorry for your lose. How old was she?

My best friend died around Christmas... he died in a 'crash'... then he got a new brain (memory chip) and that still didn't work.
    So I just got a new friend and smashed my old one.

Hope your new family member doesn't give you trouble.

• Original Poster
  • N_O_Body - Nope... all the registries were on the slave 1.gif

Micah - LOL.. she was almost 5 years old. It was her time to go, but it was without warning... which really sucked.

I came in here thinking an actual member of your family had died, and I gotta say I am a little irritated that I worked up all that sympathy for nothing! 26.gif Lol.

Anyway, sucks that you lost your hard drive, but hey, you got a newer and better one out of the deal, eh?

Ahh...you gotta love those misleading topics. 1.gif

Hmm...maybe I'll make one saying Osama bin Ladin found to be in cahoots with Thatcher!! and then have a weather report in the thread instead...1.gif

Ah well, glad to see your family's ok.

Date: 2/17/2006 9:34:39 PM Author: MayorTim I came in here thinking an actual member of your family had died, and I gotta say I am a little irritated that I worked up all that sympathy for nothing! 26.gif Lol. Anyway, sucks that you lost your hard drive, but hey, you got a newer and better one out of the deal, eh?
    quote>
    That's why I always use the mouse hovering technique, where it tells you the content of some of the thread, before clicking on it.

Frankly, I don't know why I clicked on it.

42.gif

To all the annoyed people about the misleading title of this thread, a little tip: Let your mouse hover over the thread's title for a few seconds before you click on it. It will display in a little tool-tip the first few lines of the thread. It's a real time-saver. I don't know if this works for FireFox, it didn't when I used FireFox previously, but that was a while ago. It works fine in IE, Opera, and Avant.

And Dolfan, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a somewhat related word of warning to bestow upon the community. When you're reformatting and repartitioning your main hard drive, disconnect your backup hard drive. I learned this the hard way, as I didn't, and my backup accidentally got reformatted too... Needless to say, when I discovered this, I almost had a heart attack, as I had all of my files were on there, and my pictures too... and no other backup... Fortunately I was able to use a disk-recovery software and get almost all of my files back, but it was a major pain.

Really sorry to hear about your loss but I see that your consoling yourself with the Hitachi.  It's a pretty good drive and your going to be happy with it.10.gif

Dang it... my hard drive is now starting to sound like it's going to fail. I can hear it straining... This is not good... Especially since my dad said I couldn't buy a new one to replace it... And my backup hard drive (which is external, so I couldn't run an OS off of it) is currently corrupted, and I don't have an extra hard drive to store the files on there... I have a feeling that this is not going to be good...

Date: 2/18/2006 7:46:06 PM
    Author: wbelac

To all the annoyed people about the misleading title of this thread, a little tip: Let your mouse hover over the thread's title for a few seconds before you click on it. It will display in a little tool-tip the first few lines of the thread. It's a real time-saver. I don't know if this works for FireFox, it didn't when I used FireFox previously, but that was a while ago. It works fine in IE, Opera, and Avant.

And Dolfan, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a somewhat related word of warning to bestow upon the community. When you're reformatting and repartitioning your main hard drive, disconnect your backup hard drive. I learned this the hard way, as I didn't, and my backup accidentally got reformatted too... Needless to say, when I discovered this, I almost had a heart attack, as I had all of my files were on there, and my pictures too... and no other backup... Fortunately I was able to use a disk-recovery software and get almost all of my files back, but it was a major pain.

quote>

It works...but it's still annoying... 3.gif

Good to see you back too, wbelac!

Date: 2/21/2006 1:08:21 AM Author: dev
    Date: 2/18/2006 7:46:06 PM Author: wbelac

It works...but it's still annoying... 3.gif Good to see you back too, wbelac!

Glad to help, and glad to be back.
    I see that you stole one of my previous avatars... 3.gif

and I thought that it was some person who died... you can byu a new hd, so whay do u make a topic for this... 22.gif

Date: 2/21/2006 1:47:10 AM Author: sloppet and I thought that it was some person who died... you can byu a new hd, so whay do u make a topic for this... 22.gif
    quote>
    Because he can.

Date: 2/21/2006 1:26:36 AM
    Author: wbelac

quote>

Ha...I was reminded of you as I made it...I did make it myself somewhat though, so it doesn't count as stealing...3.gif

Though I can say your current avatar looks like a good candidate for thievery...I love it!

Date: 2/21/2006 2:06:33 AM Author: wbelac

Date: 2/21/2006 1:47:10 AM Author: sloppet and I thought that it was some person who died... you can byu a new hd, so whay do u make a topic for this... 22.gif
    quote>
    Because he can.

quote>

3.gif I know, i know.. just jokin' 20.gif21.gif

22.gif

Ah yes, master/slave relationships.  Was there an insurrection or did the master decide to just bite the dust?17.gif  Seriously, I know what it is like to lose a hard drive and it isn't fun.  You're lucky you had your files saved where you did.

Date: 2/21/2006 3:04:29 AM Author: dev
    Date: 2/21/2006 1:26:36 AM Author: wbelac

quote> Ha...I was reminded of you as I made it...I did make it myself somewhat though, so it doesn't count as stealing...3.gif Though I can say your current avatar looks like a good candidate for thievery...I love it!
    quote>
    Okay, if you say so...

I got that avatar from DA, it looks kind of bad now, I'm resizing it so it actually fits on simtrop. Thanks, though.