Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simcitytrainer

Roundabout missing? - Enhancing the NAM installer

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Keiran Halcyon said how to make them, I'll tell you how many roads can be connected to them.  For the 2x2 street or road roundabout you can connect 1-4 roads or streets.  For the 3x3 one way road roundabout you can connect 1-9 street or roads.

Edit: yes you should try and reinstall the NAM and make sure that the roundabout checkbox is checked.

• Original Poster
  • I only have the following files.the readme,NAM,traffic plugin standerd and the Automata plugin standerd.Should I reinstall the Nam.If so from simtrop or deinstall then reinstall the one already on the pc?Should I delete/deinstall the current NAM first then reinstall from simtrop?

Since this question comes again and again... I'm really wondering if the folks out there isn't curious enough to look what's behind the Plugins option in the NAM installer. I thought that everyone would at least take a short look at the additional options that are hidden behind that option, and I also thought that everyone tries one of the the pre-defined installation types (right hand drive version and left hand drive version). Should I include an additional step where you can select between basic, full and custom installation? Or should I simply activate the plugins by default? 42.gif Please tell me, so I can enhance the installer to avoid any confusion that might be left!

• Original Poster
  • My dad downloaded the NAM on the pc but I noticed that the roundabouts are not here.I only have the puzzle pieces.Help please thanks.

EDIT by Andreas: I changed the title a bit to match the discussion that has developed about the NAM installer.

I downloaded the NAM and I am so happy with it.  It did take me a while to figure out the roundabouts as well as how the turn lanes are installed, but the directiuons say just play with it, if you do this you will see the power ofit.  Thanks for all your hard work.

Tidalpoool  44.gif

Well, personally, I just downloaded the .zip version. But that's the hands-on in me.

I think that the options should all be available on the front end except for the traffic and automata, which should have trees.

My 2 cents.

Are there any people who would be seriously affected if we put diagonal streets and the three roundabouts into the main NAM file? I think with the intstaller version, those four should not be options and be automatic. If you don't want them for whatever reason, download the ZIP version. But that would be a change on our part not yours (by actually merging them with NetworkAddonMod.DAT)

I think you should just add some flashing lights.3.gif

-qurlix

Although I use both diagonal streets (no wonder, I kinda invented them 2.gif ) and roundabouts, I'd prefer a more modular NAM. The ANT is the only plugin where the textures etc. are located in the separate DAT file, this could be done as well for the other plugins. If someone doesn't use the turning lanes, for instance, getting rid of the associated textures might speed up the game a bit. With the installer, it doesn't really matter how the files are arranged, and if it really turns out that many people simply forget to check the plugins option, then I'll activate it by default (and maybe get rid of the tree, but then you would have to scroll more for selecting the additional stuff).

(Yeah, just like I always use the cul-de-sac mod!)

Is it possible to have a page for each optional plugin? Like one for the ANT with a short description, one for all the roundabouts, one for diagonal streets, etc. Maybe even with pictures? That would make most people pay attention. I can imagine missing one page with a tree view, but a series of pages with choices?

If it's too hard, it was just me dreaming.
    -qurlix

It might be possible to add additional pages, but I guess that would requite a lot of customized coding, and I'm no programmer at all (it gave me some serious headaches to create those optional components, and esp. the mutually exclusive automata and traffic plugins). 2.gif  I think it would be sufficient to rearrange the installer options a bit:

<ahttp://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2849/naminstallernew3ir.gif align=baseline>

Hmmm.... customization! Even though I downloaded NAM along time ago, it sounds like a perfect idea for new members! 29.gif
    I say go for it Andreas! 44.gif

IMHO, default options are always important. The average $%&^! will perform the following actions:

1) see some cool pictures, feel me wants too reflex.

2) ignore forum search and any other text and ask for a download link for the zillionth time.

3) Click on download button and wait for file to be downloaded.

4) Double-click the exe, ignore any description, click on any Ok or Next box that appears until no more windows pop up.

5) Wonder why it's impossible to make roundabouts

6) Load Simtropolis, ignore forum search, tutorials and NAM thread and start a new thread in the wrong forum section.

With that in mind, you should really take care that (a) it's either absolutely impossible to install anything without reading and making a choice, or (b) the most-wanted items are activated by default so that at least 80% of all those people who don't even know that there are various options are satisfied and won't flood the forum with the same old RTFM questions, having successfully ignored one of the most concise readmes that have ever been put together.