Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrkeacher88

Teachers Contracts

64 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • I just noticed a thread about school, and I immeadiatly thought of what is going on in my school this very year. Our teachers in my district have been working without a contract. They think their current one is not fair, health care benefits and such, they claim it is not about the money. They have come to the last straw and decided to not do anything they aren't required to.
    Which means, NONE of the below:

1. Field Trips
    2. Yearbooks
    3. Newsletters Home, any other imformative things to our parents
    4. Stripped the School and Classroom Walls of everything (bare white paint) no posters or student work
    5. Teachers are often scattered because they don't spend anytime outside of school preparing lessons
    6. Teachers come to school when we do...leave when we do
    7. Report cards only, no progress reports.
    8. If we ask for our grades, they may or may not give them to us.
    9. Will not respond to any e-mails.

While I feel for the teachers I also tend to believe my learning experience is being severely disrupted for my 8th grade year. I can't learn well in a room with bare white walls, and my parents won't be informed, neither will I. Its ridiculous, and shouldn't be happening. They can't strike because it is against state law in New Hampshire.

What are your thoughts one this?42.gif

We should treat our teachers  with respect, pay them a decent wage with decent benifits, they go through  hell dealing with all the ungratefull little urchins who think school is a place to socialize.

• Original Poster
  • I am split both ways they told me they get paid $52,000 (remember they told me it isn't about the money) a year and love their job, and they just want a fair contract, i'm more in favor of the teachers, but i am also dissapointed.

• Original Poster
  • Date: 2/15/2006 8:36:24 PM
    Author: your_adress_here
    That must suck for you. I would go insane if all the walls were just white. Does this also mean there wont be maps and such on the walls in your geography class?

quote>

Of course, my geography/history classroom has been stripped down. No maps. One of my teachers is like hte leading force in this whole thing, so he finds every little way to fight it. They also stopped buying and providing supplies. My teacher said he spent over $500 easy on supplies from the beggining of the year.

Our teachers have been working without a contract for I think 3 years now. They havn't stopped doing things though. Unlike those teachers, ours are teachers for the students, not the benefits. If teachers here did something like that, and we talked about this in class once, every single person in the class said they'd drop out until it was resolved. (we were all over 16 so legally, we can)

IMO, if teachers are doing what you describe, they should be replaced. Though that does explain why Americans aren't the smartest on the planet.22.gif

• Original Poster
  • Before and after school all our teachers also picket (since they can't legally do it during school or strike) and the cars going by honk their horns in support or disagreement, people yell things, sometimes the police are even out there.

I think the teachers should hold out for as much as they can get. Teaching is an enjoyable profession, that's true. However, I think I deserve more than $12K per year.

Don't blame teachers. Blame the system that pays squat.

ISF

Vid: Careful about the stereotyping, buddy.

MrKeacher:  I don't know what the cost of living is like in New Hampshire(?) (also was it $12K or 52K?) But there always is a balance between doing something for the love of the profession while expecting certain to receive reasonable benefits for the given profession.  There's also a balance for management to watch respect the bottom line and company/agency objectives while respecting that high employee morale generally improves the bottom line and reaching of objectives. 

I think it's reasonable for teachers to go elsewhere to seek employment and the school system to either find teachers that will accept the conditions they set up or change the conditions to be able to attract quality employees.  I don't think it's reasonable for the employees who knew the conditions ahead of time to disrupt services in an important field like this (or similar fields) nor for the employers to force ultimatums on the employees.  They both should wait until the school year to attempt the other to meet their respective demands.  I'm sorry that you and your classmates are caught in the middle of the conflict.  I hope that you and all of your respective parents have other alternatives to this school/ school system.

Date: 2/15/2006 9:16:19 PM
    Author: zelgadis
    I think the teachers should hold out for as much as they can get. Teaching is an enjoyable profession, that's true. However, I think I deserve more than $12K per year.

Don't blame teachers. Blame the system that pays squat.

ISF

quote>

Teachers are paid more than 12k per year...Heck, I make more than that working part time at a convenience store.

This whole thing is why education should be privatized. If something like this happend in an area with private schooling, the parents could just take their kids out of such a crap school. But since it's public, they are stuck with lousy teachers.

Umm. 12K? My geography teacher makes almost 100K. He is extremely experienced and popular (and almost got fired for posting students pictures on the class website. Their parents freaked out. The kids loved it, but parents can be weird) But it's definately not 12K. I can see working part time as a substitue as a side career and maybe working once every week or so but 12K for a full time teaching position? I dont think you can make that little on minimum wage.

Well, I think your teachers deserve better...but its you that suffering, not the administration or school board that controls the contracts.  Not giving grades?  Not even using a map or globe in a Geography class?  It may be a form of protest on the teacher's part, but how is it getting to the school board?  This is something that could go on forever, with only YOU  and your fellow students getting the brunt end of it.

It doesn't make sense to me. What was the contract about? Teachers cannot stip down all the maps in the class simply because they're school property. Same with the money for class. They ar supposed to be spend on the class only. What are you trying to say? Teachers are just pocketing it?

Date: 2/15/2006 11:53:14 PM Author: plasticboy It doesn't make sense to me. What was the contract about? Teachers cannot stip down all the maps in the class simply because they're school property. Same with the money for class. They ar supposed to be spend on the class only. What are you trying to say? Teachers are just pocketing it?
    quote>
    What he is saying is that, since the teachers can't strike, they are working to the letter of the last contract they had.  The extras that teachers do (field trips, yearbook, etc) are not included in most contracts.  The teachers are doing this to point out all of the things that they do that they basically don't get paid for.

Many years ago, there was a study that declared the state of the American education system to be disgraceful.  It claimed that if a foreign power had imposed that current educational system on us, we would regard it as an act of war.  I believe that was an accurate assessment.

As difficult as it may be to believe, things have improved greatly in the past few decades, at least where I am.  There is still a long, long way to go.

Hmmm...why do they make the students part of this?...
    Teachers should go and burn the School District offices instead...just my opinion...9.gif

to be fair, teachers have a stupidly high workload, my mum is a science and a maths teacher, she is always working, god help anyone who wants to become a teacher45.gif

Who said something about privatisation? That's just ludicracy... What will stop the schools from charging thousands per year so that your kids can learn something that here in the UK is technically free? What do you think boarding & private schools are for?

I probably don't know, cuase the US and Uk are different areas, and we havnt really had that much of a problem...

I think the current situation is disgraceful IMHO, as soon as you bring in innocent people into a situation, you are as guilty as the accused - if that makes sence?

And really I wouldnt say teaching is heavy-weight, well it is if you cannot handle the situation properly and by law, but 52K and they moaning about a fair contract??? How much does these 'benefits' cost if not given by your employer? Explain... im intreuged...

Nealos101

Yes around here (the old Hampshire) teachers claim they should be paid more as well and I agree althougth they have never considered going on strike or coasting. Teachers should be paid a resonable amount and as a lot of us are SimCity players we should know that.

Personally I don't see anything wrong here. Also, you should respect the decision of the teachers no matter what it is... like me, this whole year I haven't gone anywhere, but I'm not going to complain about it. If you don't like, go to another school (just a suggestion). And if you aren't going to leave, that just tells me and everyone else that you're not that upset about it. Hope that helps! 19.gif

Date: 2/16/2006 6:09:04 AM
    Author: nealos101
    Who said something about privatisation? That's just ludicracy... What will stop the schools from charging thousands per year so that your kids can learn something that here in the UK is technically free? What do you think boarding & private schools are for?

I probably don't know, cuase the US and Uk are different areas, and we havnt really had that much of a problem...

I think the current situation is disgraceful IMHO, as soon as you bring in innocent people into a situation, you are as guilty as the accused - if that makes sence?

And really I wouldnt say teaching is heavy-weight, well it is if you cannot handle the situation properly and by law, but 52K and they moaning about a fair contract??? How much does these 'benefits' cost if not given by your employer? Explain... im intreuged...

Nealos101

quote>

I believe privatisation is a marvelous idea...My tax dollars are being sent to fund the education of the public school system. Not my private schooling. Just because I don't want to go to a poorly managed sucky school...I still have to pay for it.

Date: 2/16/2006 5:05:35 AM Author: villarule to be fair, teachers have a stupidly high workload, my mum is a science and a maths teacher, she is always working, god help anyone who wants to become a teacher45.gif
    quote>
    Teachers today are expected to do quite a lot.  Most teachers I know are burnt out or on the edge of being burnt out.  I know one person who rotates:  teaches for a few years (5, maybe?) then quits and spends a few years doing something less stressful, then goes back to teaching.

Part of the issue is that, at least in the US, teachers are expected to do more and have fewer options for dealing with problem students.  When I was a kid a teacher could send a student down to the principal's office for a paddling.  Can't do that now.    I recall one of my second grade classmates being tied to his chair.  The kid couldn't sit still and kept wandering around the room so the teacher tied him to his chair with a rope (both legs, one arm so he would have an arm free to write). Can't do that now. 

I'm not suggesting that these were good things for teachers to do. But I do believe that kids today give teachers more hassle than we did simply because they know that there is only so much the teachers can do to them.  and that kind of hassle, day in and day out, can be very wearing.

The trouble with privitization is the question of who would pay for it? Education must be free to all. It's basic human rights. I would support higher taxes for better schools and better-paid teachers.

Kind of like here in Canada, we have higher taxes but guaranteed health care. (I just went to the hospital last night and was taken care of quite well and for no charge.) In the end, it's cheaper than paying for health insurance. I wouldn't have it any other way.

@Nealos101: It's difficult to explain, but if you've never been a teacher before, you can't imagine how exhausting it is. It is, in fact, more exhausting to me than the labor-intensive jobs I've done in the past.

ISF