7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

What are your favourite real world cities to recreate?

What cities have a sufficient number of BATs on the Exchange to make a realistic recreation?

I have made a NYC, Chicago, Hong Kong, LA and currently working on a London UK recreation. I have also made cities that aren't actual recreations but I use landmarks from 1 or 2 cities only to come up with a familiar look. I have done this with Shanghai, Singapore, Melbourne and a Taipei/Tokyo mash up. I think my next city will be Denver, as thee 3 or 4 largest downtown skyscrapers are on the Exchange as well as the really cool Denver Art Museum. Shenzhen also on the list, with a few cool civic buildings to go along with skyscrapers.

• Original Poster
  • Those True Earth ones are out of this world good, I've seen many of @korver's City Journals. Mine are nowhere near as good, as evidenced by my mini San Francisco here.

Sometimes I start out with a plan like making a San Francisco look alike.. Or other times I'll have a purely fictional city and will finish it off by placing landmarks from one specific city to complete the look.

Maybe a more appropriate topic would have been; Which cities are best represented on the Exchange by number of BATs?

Golden Bay-Feb. 17, 581533535555.png

Golden Bay-Feb. 17, 581533535592.png

Washington can be recreated with no Exchange BATs. Maxis made, not two, nor three, but FIVE landmarks of Washington!

As for the real-city inspiration, i usually mix two or more styles into one city. If you watched the movie "Big Hero 6", you'll have a perfect example of this, as the city is an awesome mix between Tokyo and San Francisco. Another thing i do is to give the city it's own history, like a post-apocalyptic survivor town that eventually became a city, but i think that's another topic.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks @Cassalett IV for the reply. Yes in some of my cities I'll pick landmarks from 2 or 3 different cities to complete the look I want. For as huge as Tokyo seems.. it sure seems underrepresented in the BATing world. Not too many non-Maxis DC BATs either but you're right, with the 5 provided it's a nice start.

Do you use real world maps at full scale? There's plenty of those here and in SimCity 4 Devotion. In some cases, there are cities with grid street networks in the city center area and there's maps that are tilted to match the city's grid with the game's construction grid. The most popular such instance is that of New York.

Also make sure to get water, terrain and flora mods to match the climate of the real world city's location, that can add a lot of character beyond the building and landmark choice.

• Original Poster
  • Definitely not to scale. More like mini-recreations. Just 1 Large city tile which I try to model based on the real city but nothing too hardcore. (EX. NYC long skinny island, SF has a bay, London Thames..)

For my new London city I am letting the city fully sprawl into the surrounding tiles so that will be a bit of a different look for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RobledoRessainance
        I called this "Igreja de S
      • By debussyman
        (Re-Upload)
        The Reichstag building is a historical edifice in Berlin, Germany, constructed to house the Imperial Diet, of the German Empire. Designed by Paul Wallot in a neo-baroque ecclectic style, It was opened in 1894 and housed the Diet until 1933, when it was severely damaged in a fire.

This version will sit in a 9x10
        Located under Landmarks section
        Requires no dependencies
      • By debussyman
        Built in 1598 it is the oldesT cathedral in continental America.

This is the second version of one of my earliest BAT's made about 9 years ago. It is the cathedral of my home city, Mérida, Yucatán, México. This new version will sit on a 6x5 lot, and is located under Landmarks.

Dependency (tree):
        BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02
        update: 19.08.2018 - dependency link by Tyberius06
      • By debussyman
        A revisit of my old Chartres Cathedral Model.
        Textures have been freshened up and a few mistakes corrected, as well as size and proportion.

Chartres Cathedral is a medieval Catholic cathedral located in Chartres, France. It is considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The current cathedral, mostly constructed between 1194 and 1250, is the last of at least five which have occupied the site since the town became a bishopric in the 4th century.

The cathedral is in an exceptional state of preservation. The majority of the original stained glass windows survive intact, while the architecture has seen only minor changes since the early 13th century. The building's exterior is dominated by heavy flying buttresses which allowed the architects to increase the window size significantly, while the west end is dominated by two contrasting spires – a 105-metre (349 ft) plain pyramid completed around 1160 and a 113-metre (377 ft) early 16th-century Flamboyant spire on top of an older tower. Equally notable are the three great façades, each adorned with hundreds of sculpted figures illustrating key theological themes and narratives.

Located under Landmarks Menu
        Works as a standard landmark
        6x11
        Nightlighted

Important dependency: PORKIE PROPS VOL1 EUROPEAN STREET ACCESSORIES
      • By debussyman
        The Royal Seat of San Lorenzo de El Escorial is a historical residence of the King of Spain, in the town of San Lorenzo de El Escorial, about 45 kilometres (28 mi) northwest of the capital, Madrid, in Spain. It is one of the Spanish royal sites and functions as a monastery, royal palace, museum, and school. It is also known shorthand as El Escorial or the Escorial.

El Escorial was, at once, a monastery and a Spanish royal palace. Originally a property of the Hieronymite monks, it is now a monastery of the Order of Saint Augustine.

Philip II of Spain, reacting to the Protestant Reformation sweeping through Europe during the 16th century, devoted much of his lengthy reign (1556–1598) and much of his seemingly inexhaustible supply of New World gold to stemming the Protestant tide. His protracted efforts were, in the long run, partly successful; however, the same counter-reformational impulse had a much more benign expression thirty years earlier in Philip's decision to build the complex at El Escorial.

15x13 Lot
        Works as a landmark
        Plop Cost: 110,000
        Nightlighted