9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

(I guess this should go in this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.)

So I am into modular sets ; I am just finishing a set of park paths -- narrow & wide pieces and end pieces for each set (that's three sets -- all told, 43 pieces) ; I want them to show up in a somewhat logical order in the park menu (straights with straights, diags with diags, etc.) to minimize the going to and fro *:) (it annoys me, in some others' sets...). I know whatever is in any given player's park menu will interfere with my order, but that can't be helped much. At least they would be in a sequence. I thought I would give each set its own menu order tag. It works, but not completely. When relotting Diggis' Ponds Grass set, however, way back then, I noticed that each lot had a different menu order number ; would it be a better way to go at it ?

The Item Order property is certainly the first place to start to get things in the order you want. Due to the sheer number of mods out there, of course there is no perfect solution that will work with everyone's setup, but there is a way to make it more likely others get the intended effect.

If you gave every modular piece of the set the same Item Order, but set the Plop Cost from lowest to highest for each lot to the order you wanted, this is the most reliable solution. Let's face it, money is something few of us care about when playing, many players simply cheat (I know I do), but even if you don't, once you get going, money is never a huge problem. What difference does it make how much a lot costs to place?, this figure is not tangible in any way, it's just a made up value. You can still set any monthly costs separately without affecting the order, so if you ask me there is no real down side to this.

So for example, with my filler lots, I think there are around 13 lots, starting at $1 for the first in the list, then increasing by $1 for the next lot and so on. The reason this works well, is that your lots will only ever find other sets/lots messing with this order when they use the exact same Item Order. If you use 43 such IDs, that increases the likelihood that this will happen, although at first glance they will be ordered identically.

The ordering works with this hierarchy:

• Item Order
  • Plop Cost
  • Alphabetical Order by Name

Since Plop Cost is far easier to manipulate than the name, it's much more useful. You could even spread the costs by more than $1 between lots. Giving you spare numbers if later you add something to a set, but didn't want it to be at the end of the set.

Another way to try and keep things together is to use an Item Order that is higher than other modders were likely to use. Paeng did this with his Parks set and other lots too, but the downside is that it will put them at the end of a given menu. That may be fine, depending on where you feel the lots fit best. If your sets work well or integrate with other sets, I would also try to use an Item Order that puts them in a similar place. For example, if making add-ons for Paengs Parks, I'd probably want them right after Paeng's lots in the menu.

• Original Poster
  • All done as instructed. But I have an inexplicable straggler that insists on being at the beginning of the park menu, despite having been item-ordered, plop-costed and named like its cousins that went obediently at the end of the menu as I intended them to go. I have three pieces named CornerRound ; at first it was CornerRound that strayed ; nowCornerROund is at its alloted place and  CornerRound with Trees took its place (the pales dots indicate were the trees are). What is happening ? 

straggler%2063A%20plop%20cost%203-L.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Guys, I really need help with that conundrum. I can't possibly upload that set with ONE straggler up menu and the rest down menu !   *:???:

I don't know for sure, but you might have given them an item order with a value that is "too high or low". The item order property value work like this:

• The lower the item order value, the further at the top of the menu will your lot be located.
    • Item order values can range from 0xFFFF8000 (in decimal numbers, this equals to -32768, which means, it is below zero) to 0x00007FFF. You should not make them higher or lower, because for some unknown reason they won't behave like expected. This may, for instance, really cause an item to be located at the top of the menu while actually having a high number.
    • Maxis buildings usually have an item order of 0 or a bit higher or lower.

I'll just add, the first things to check in the case of unusual behaviour like this are:

1. Double/Triple Check the values you entered are absolutely correct.
      You can enter in Reader a Decimal number, but you will be shown the number in Hex. With the later, it's easy to miss something. If in doubt, add it once more in Decimal or convert the Hex value to Decimal and ensure it's right.
    2. If you are 100% sure the value is correct, something is likely overriding the change.
      Remove the lot, or other, file you have edited. Check in-game, do you still see this item in the menu? If so, you have a duplicate, which you'll need to find/remove to resolve the issue.

• Original Poster
  • @11241036 & @rsc204 : will try everything ! *:) Thank you.

(FYI, the item number is 0x0000063A, with a Plop Cost of 3  ; its well-behaved cousins (in the menu) are 0x0000064A, 65A, 66A and 67A, with Plop Cost 4, 5, 6, and 7. The names all begin with “CornerRound”)

The thing is, if using the Plop Cost control method, all such Item Number properties can be identical. Try changing the problem piece to 64A, does that help?

If it does, that just means you've a load of other items using 63A already in your menu. All such items with a plop cost that is higher would then break up the grouping.

• Original Poster
  • You were so right with (1) !  Never underestimate distraction : the culprit didn't have the right menu order property. And now everybody is obediently placed where they should be. I can upload the thing !:bunny:  Thank you again !