Dragonxander

Dragonxander's Earthworks Tutorial A-1: Starting a Town

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

The very first post of this tutorial series!!

Earthwork Fundamentals 1: Starting a Town

Welcome to Emeragrove!!

• Population: 0
  • Infrastructure: just a neighbor connection
  • Trees: 0
  • Citizen complaints: 0

...Huh....not a whole lot of action in here. Maybe we can change that!

Our blank slate: a large city tile with a river running along the western side and rolling terrain on almost all of its land area. We will settle next to the head of navigation of the small river, highlighted by the saddle shape in red.

NHdSmgx.jpg

We want to investigate the terrain characteristics in the area, we start by activating the “terrainquery” cheat (Ctrl+X, then write "terrainquery"). This allows us to obtain the tridimensional coordinates for any point within the city tile.

AtwfUG9.jpg

We find that, towards the northwest of our view, the terrain’s elevation (y = 258.9 meters above SimCity level) is a meager 8.9 meters above the game’s sea level (250.0 meters).

z5Am6Zc.jpg

Moving towards the southeast, we find a slightly more elevated position, at 260.8 meters above SimCity level. We secure this elevation by plopping road tiles to form a flat surface we want to propagate via cut and fill. This matters because if the starting terrain is too low, the slope cannot be demonstrated effectively and Sims are at risk of losing everything to a river flood within the floodplain area.

uCSlTB6.jpg

We then continue placing single road squares in a checkerboard pattern and emphasizing the boundaries of the terrain we intend to level off. One convenient way to do this is to plop a sufficiently long stretch of road squares along which we’ll be dragging the roads proper to level additional terrain along the stretch of squares.

JRSytbK.jpg

We keep dragging roads until covering an area sufficiently large to host our town’s historic center.

UqDnQcj.jpg

Now, we zoom in towards an edge of the flattened terrain. As you can notice, the slope between the leveled terrain and the floodplain may be too steep for comfort or even safety (landslide risks, perhaps?).

NyLmnBz.jpg

We can now fix that by dragging short stubs of road, starting at the flattened area’s edge. These stubs should be one square shorter than the distance needed to directly touch the floodplain.

qUaCpXq.jpg

We continue this operation until we have the particular edge covered.

Tf3Vdro.jpg

Then we begin doing the same along the diagonal edge. Notice how the stub is dragged from the protruding corner of the tile.

vbHSu8I.jpg

• Original Poster
  • We repeat the operation a few more times until we complete the diagonal edge. Now we do the next orthogonal edge like we did before.

sEGpPiV.jpg

Here, we now place these stubs next to each other, fixing the slope into position before we round up the corner between the diagonal and orthogonal edges.

yfWFd37.jpg

Demolish only the road stub closest to the corner.

RKdLA9g.jpg

Now we drag another diagonal road stub to finish the slope-forming of the diagonal edge.

CFRp1EI.jpg

We then demolish that last stub and re-trace the stub from the orthogonal side of the corner. After this, we continue forming the slope of the orthogonal edge. It seems repetitive, but this ensures the proper edge shape without having unnecessary protruding or depressed bits at this outer corner.

cpkBmEq.jpg

We extend the second orthogonal slope that we started until either reaching a corner or until terrain conditions get in the way of this slope. As you can notice, the terrain gains elevation towards this area, so we then dig a trench based on the elevation of the floodplain.

r0fXra5.jpg

We follow up by removing some of the road squares closest to the next slope portion to then form the next diagonal edge’s slope.

xDYrvNM.jpg

Then we form the next diagonal slope with the corresponding outer orthogonal-diagonal corner rounding:

pDMbmJL.jpg

But now we have an inner corner! Wait, we can do that one too! Then we move on to the next orthogonal edge, erasing some of the roads built to flatten the trench. Notice how I erased one of the road squares next to the corner. This will help us round out these tight nooks and crannies.

jKKj9G1.jpg

For this next leveling, we won’t use the road construction tool, but rather the one for streets. With the BRF Tunnel and Slope mod, roads differ from all the other land transportation networks because they support vertical curves. Streets and all the other networks, at least in the original mod, do not, meaning these can be dragged to form a sharp edge between flat and sloping terrain.

X5i9s0Y.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Now we drag a street stub that starts in the horizontal area and ends on the first tile of the slope. The result is we added that single sloped square next to the corner. This completes the first inner corner rounding.

3Tc5eJl.jpg

With this street stub we just completed the rounding of this inner diagonal-orthogonal corner! We can now proceed with the next stretch of orthogonal slope.

2MGlbHI.jpg

Continue sloping this corner until reaching the three road squares at the end of the trench.

t9y1PkW.jpg

We then enlarge the trench so its bottom is five squares wide. This would be useful for those who might want to use ploppable water or terraform a small creek that was channelized just south of the historic city center.

8F3Y6QL.jpg

We do the same to enlarge the trench two tiles towards the high terrain. This is needed to finish off the headwaters end of the trench.

RtQVrhZ.jpg

Then bulldoze the roads built for this leveling. We're building another slope and demonstrate inner orthogonal-orthogonal corners.

0Y0cv9Y.jpg

We now place more road squares, just beyond the area dug out for the trench. This will define the upper edge of the trench’s walls.

Ixo6JR1.jpg

We also build the slopes corresponding to the trench. Notice how the cornering of the road squares for the trench’s edge were extended to prepare the other longitudinal wall.

AFKxJWT.jpg

We now erase a few tiles of the corner area as we prepare to round this orthogonal-orthogonal corner.

d64Qfvm.jpg

We go back to the street building tool, dragging two stubs to finish rounding off this corner.

m0CnjA5.jpg

• Original Poster
  • We now form a second trench, this time diagonally. We now go to the northwest side of the flattened terrain for the town. Here we define a flat base line with road squares along a diagonal stretch, followed with a series of diagonal roads dragged against the baseline of squares.

BPHTTfP.jpg

After some additional work on the slopes, we just completed the fill portion of the town’s terrain levelling. On to the cut section!!

eufk8sv.jpg

At the cut section we start work on the uphill slopes. We first go for an area in which the slope is likely to be taller.

5jHMCgn.jpg

Here we drag and form more road stubs until reaching a location at which the rising slope requires fill, rather than cut.

8BXUiCB.jpg

Once again we summon our little hero, the Street tool. Any tiny bits that would not be addressed adequately by the road are taken care of with this one.

DJyyuh5.jpg

If we want to use the Street stubs in the next stretch, we must first drag another road (or even a street) to intersect with them all. Otherwise the road will extend into the street and enforce a flatter slope.

tXB7E6P.jpg

Then, of course, we also flatten this slope with the road, to keep consistent with the one established before.

IWmM5CA.jpg

We now shift our attention to the first diagonal cut slope. We’ll apply similar methods to those used for the diagonal fill slopes.

CJhVErB.jpg

After dragging enough stubs to form the bulk of this slope, we direct our attention to the corner. Here we start off the rounding by adding a few more stubs offset just one square from the adjacent orthogonal slope.

7WSRIFc.jpg

Then we erase these stubs to then level off the other side of the corner with a few more orthogonal stubs.

3Oa3piK.jpg

• Original Poster
  • This is the finished look of the orthogonal-diagonal corner in cut slopes.

2yiQJ2P.jpg

After this step, I looked at the preliminary progress and didn't feel satisfied with it, the shape of the flattened terrain was still awkward to build comfortably, so I decided to flatten some more portions of the adjacent rolling terrain to get a more functional space:

UdNj8pi.jpg

This includes undoing some later progress with the diagonal sloping.

kVEXmsW.jpg

And of course also the completion of the canals, starting with a cut slope:

VRvfPmn.jpg

And finishing with more flat area beyond this newly formed slope:

ojAYUkE.jpg

As with any construction, once everything is inspected and certified as being built according to plans (or plans combined with change orders), we now de-mobilize! This means bulldozing our mess of road and street stubs.

Jt0X5rp.jpg

But now that we have this fancy little terrain, how do we reach it? Some might be okay with rowing upstream or downstream along the river, others would be adventurous enough to wander through the rugged terrain, but I think most of us would rather like an overland transportation facility that is safe and convenient. Fortunately for us, the neighboring city district decided that they wanted to reach this area, so they formed a  neighbor connection, blessed with the Holiest of Yellow Arrows, to reach their new neighbors.

But alas! That neighbor connection is located at 272.0 m above SimCity level! And our terrain stands at 260.8 m above SimCity level!!  Which means you should all stay tuned for Part 2 of the Earthworks Fundamentals tutorial, building a Main Local road!

AArJNBX.jpg

And here's a sneak peek of what the second tutorial will result in:

RD9zpwg.jpg