DBJisDa1

No Space for Plugins in SimCity 4

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I was just about to throw some mods and such into the plugins folders and start playing the game but I got a notice saying I have no space left over in the SimCity game for such plugins. I have the steam version of the game incase you where wondering. Is this issue related to how many regions you have and how many cities are collected in each region? I only have 1 region with 4 cities + Timbuktu. I'm running the game on a Dell Laptop to incase that helps lead to the problem.

Hiya, @DBJisDa1. Welcome to Simtropolis. *:)

It would help a lot if you could post a screenshot of the message you received. *;) We have several members who's Plugins folders contain 6 to 9 GB of files so there doesn't appear to be a limit to how much one can put in there. For regions, I personally have 54 separate ones containing 1,806 city tiles and there's no trouble from that. (I do a lot of map creation and testing in case you are wondering and I have a few old play regions and one current one.)

It seems more likely to me that you may have run out of available space on your hard drive. Assuming Windoze for your OS, go into File Explorer, right-click on your hard drive, and select properties. You are looking to see how much free space you have.

imghp0065.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Ive got another question, its an in-game question. So I made loads of the demanding jobs the Sims wanted and gave them multiple quick ways of getting to their new job but instead choose to go the "no job" icon and leave their homes due to long commute times. 

• Original Poster
  • I didnt know where to go on Steam to upload it to the game

So where would I go on Steam to upload it?

I don't know for sure.  You might read the steam forum on the game for help while you wait for someone who does.

You can always try the way the CD version works....a sub-folder My Documents.  Or dig through the Steam folders for the game files.  It probably has a Plugins folder in there.  

Did you run the Installer application for SC4, which for the Steam edition should happen from the Steam interface? This is not only the default location for user-files for SC4, but there is no option to modify it upon installation either. So if it doesn't exist, something's not right somewhere.

• Original Poster
  • Okay In my documents folder SimCity 4 finally popped up and  i copied the mods and other stuff into the plugins folder. So is that it and the mods should work?

Hi there @DBJisDa1,

Maybe just double check the full path (as shown in the location bar of Windows Explorer) is in the format of:

C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins

Additional subfolders can be added inside, which will be processed according to the loading order.

There's also another Plugins folder located in the root directory where the game is installed, and I believe this is also included with the structure as set by the Steam version. However the "Documents" folder is recommended for convenience since it's where most custom content installers usually default to. Also being located in your local user folder, it wouldn't be wiped out if ever uninstalling the game. The same also applies to any regions which are inside: \Documents\SimCity 4\Regions

Note: At least on Windows 7, I notice how the system recognises "My Documents" the same as "Documents". If navigating to the former, it jumps to the latter. Whereas on Windows XP and earlier systems, I recall there was the "My" part of the user folder name for local document storage.

1 hour ago, DBJisDa1 said:

So is that it and the mods should work?

I'll tentatively say yes it is, and I hope they do work. But there's only one way to find out... *;)

Should it not already be present after running the installation as @rsc204 said, I found the local "SimCity 4" directory containing Plugins and Regions will be created upon starting the game. So should it somehow not be the correct location with the proper structure, that may well do the trick.

(As tested here on the disc based version of SC4 Deluxe.)

3 hours ago, DBJisDa1 said:

Okay In my documents folder SimCity 4 finally popped up and  i copied the mods and other stuff into the plugins folder. So is that it and the mods should work?

Adding to what @Cyclone Boom said: The mods should work, but it will depend on which ones in particular you have downloaded. Most come in a zip format and must be unzipped. Windoze has the ability to do that. Then you'll also need to check if any of the mods have dependencies. For instance you might download a building that uses textures or props (or both) which were created by other peeps. Those files also need to be in your plugins folder so the building you've installed can find the other parts it needs in order to display correctly.

It's best to take this slowly downloading one particular mod and testing it in a sandbox region (one that is for testing only and not your live, main region). Keep in mind that some content has special instructions or a list of dependencies only mentioned in a ReadMe type of file included within the download. Be sure to check for those and read what they contain.

1 hour ago, DBJisDa1 said:

the mods dont seem to be appearing up in my game, did i do something wrong? I copied them to the Plugins Folder

That's strange then.

Are you absolutely sure you've fully extracted (copied out) all the contents of the zip files as @CorinaMarie explained above, along with installing any dependencies?

Also a consideration is some items of content are packaged in a zip file which then contains an installer (.exe). These are common for the BSC prop and texture packs, and will need to be run and the steps followed in order to copy the necessary files into your Plugins. There will be one step to confirm the path is correct, where many installers ask to create their own predefined subfolder structure in the process. This can be left alone or altered as you wish, as long they're successfully copied to somewhere in Plugins.

The most common file formats for SC4 include:

• .dat  =  A multi-purpose container commonly used by mods to store exemplar properties, but can also compress other game data or models.
    • .SC4Model  =  The actual BAT model files themselves as used by custom lots.
    • .SC4Lot  =  Stores the configuration data relating to a lot's properties and assigned props & textures.
    • .SC4Desc  =  Known as the descriptor file, this is used by some content items to reference a model.

These are the files which should be located inside Plugins for each item of content, whether a mod or custom building (BAT). For more info, this thread goes into greater detail about the various formats and how they're processed by the game when loaded in sequence.

Should all the files appear present and correct, it might help us to diagnose the possible issue if you could specify which items you've tried to install. The term "mods" can cover many modifications to aspects of the game, so there are numerous types and combinations. Some mods may alter variables in the simulation and thus don't not appear in the menus or be instantly obvious at first glance. Or for growable RCI buildings, they'll depend on there being adequate demand for them to develop.