OcramsRzr

Evergreen State College and the repercussions of violent "Social Justice"

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Posted (edited)

The Evergreen State College has had an annual 'Day of Absence' for years without much controversy. Last year, TESC added a 'Day of Presence.' The 'Day of Absence' voluntarily encourages students of color to stay home from class for a day to give white students a chance to reflect on the achievements of their peers of color and show them how much they are missed. The 'Day of Presence' mandated that white students, professors, and staff stayed home from campus. Those who showed up were subject to abuse: they were rounded up, forced into a single room, forced to ask permission to leave to even use the restroom, and harassed--for some reason, some of the abusive students recorded their harassment on their phones and shared it to social media. I will not post those videos because I believe they do not conform to site rules (vile things were said). There are ways to positively encourage equitability, justice, and peace but this is not the way.

A year after the fiasco and Evergreen State College is facing repercussions (as are the worst offenders, who unsurprisingly claim victimhood):

Enrollment dropped ~20%, causing a loss of $6 million.
http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/education/article210893889.html

Students sue the college for $1 million for discrimination
http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/education/article180025166.html

Professor harrassed and threatened for protesting "Day of Presence" receives a settlement of $500k
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-of-protests-resigns-college-will-pay-500000/

6 professors resigned in total, all getting the severance pay
https://crosscut.com/2017/12/evergreen-state-college-racial-protests-professor-resigns-olympia

Former chief of Evergreen State College's police sues over discrimination, hostile work environment
http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/2...m-of-discrimination-based-on-race-and-gender/

I, for one, am overjoyed at seeing Evergreen's violent SJWs reap the repercussions of their misdeeds. The problem is that this provides evidence to conservatives against public institutions of higher education. Most campuses have safe spaces and safe/moderated debates and many have a professor or two with a strong but usually harmless progressive liberal bias and this goes unnoticed (because it does little harm) but Evergreen College has painted a rather negative picture of colleges, especially Liberal Arts Colleges and public colleges & universities. This is not the only college with students who destroy the "safe spaces" they demand. However, this is the first time I have seen tangible evidence that such behavior won't be tolerated, and at one point I considered going to Evergreen for an environmental science degree (before I decided I wanted to be a chemistry-focused engineer). I have seen examples across the USA of similar (but less severe in most of the cases I noticed) misbehavior. Here is a CNN article: https://www.cnn.com/2017/04/20/us/campus-free-speech-trnd/index.html In most cases, these started out as protests against ultra-conservative speakers, members of the alt-right, and those accused of hate speech. Evergreen College stands out as the protest was over innocent students showing up for class as they regularly do.

Apparently, this is called the Mizzou effect:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/09/does_a_school_s_enrollment_really_go_down_when_students_protest_en_masse.html

Edited by OcramsRzr  

Slight update

On 26-6-2018 at 6:19 AM, OcramsRzr said:

The Evergreen State College has had an annual 'Day of Absence' for years without much controversy. Last year, TESC added a 'Day of Presence.' The 'Day of Absence' voluntarily encourages students of color to stay home from class for a day to give white students a chance to reflect on the achievements of their peers of color and show them how much they are missed. The 'Day of Presence' mandated that white students, professors, and staff stayed home from campus. Those who showed up were subject to abuse: they were rounded up, forced into a single room, forced to ask permission to leave to even use the restroom, and harassed--for some reason, some of the abusive students recorded their harassment on their phones and shared it to social media. I will not post those videos because I believe they do not conform to site rules (vile things were said). There are ways to positively encourage equitability, justice, and peace but this is not the way.

First, white students werent mandated anything. Second, the day of presence comes after the day of absence and its a day where students, together, reconnect with the larger community. What you are talking about is the day of absence. Normally, students of color go to off campus workshops about racism, in 2017 they decided to switch it around for once and have the white students go off campus for those workshops. Its also voluntary. I havent found a single source describing how students were put into a single room and what not. Given the fact that there are about 200 non white students vs 2800 white students, I think its also pretty unlikely that you could fit everyone into a single room. 

What happened was that this Weinstein professor threw a fit because they switched it around and called it reverse racism. Because being given the option to attend an event off campus is now apparantly racist against white people. His little hissy fit sparked off student protests who called this Weinstein guy out on his shit. Then Weinstein went onto Fox News to play the victim of the evil SJW's. And then the whole Alt Right hate machine came into action and messed stuff up. Protests, death threats and a campus shooting threat forced the campus to close for a few days.  

As for the declining enrollment. Yeah, the protests haven't helped, but the decline had been going on for at least a decade. 

Get your facts right. 

• Original Poster
  • The white students who showed up (most did not) were harrassed and virtually kept prisoner, fact. I could link videos as proof since foul language is now allowed. I don’t understand why bullies post self-incriminating videos for fun.

On 2-7-2018 at 2:44 AM, OcramsRzr said:

The white students who showed up (most did not) were harrassed and virtually kept prisoner, fact. I could link videos as proof since foul language is now allowed. I don’t understand why bullies post self-incriminating videos for fun.

Prove it. None of your sources or any of the sources I've seen even remotely suggest your version of events. 

• Original Poster
  • This is a fraction of the harassment. This is not how you win over hearts. This is how you escalate the culture wars and erode your credibility.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mattb325
        Urban School by Mattb325.
        ---------------------------------------
        In real life, many schools teach students from Kindergarten all the way through to the end of Senior School, and, in this ghastly era of economic rationalism where every public institution must return a profit to justify its existence, many are also forced to host more lucrative adult evening classes.
        Having schools in SC4 that cater for Elementary through to High School is nothing new (for example see my Bourke St Public School: Bourke St Public School), but combining junior, senior and adult education in the one campus hasn't been done before (to my knowledge). 
        The Urban School combines all three functions. 
        It is crucial to note that this school is not designed or modded to be a radical lot. If you want a radical lot that increases education levels with no cost and taking up no space, then this is not for you.
        Placing this lot merely emulates all three functions of the Maxis Large Elementary School, the Maxis Large High School and the Maxis City College in terms of Capacity, Radius, Cost and School Effectiveness vs Average Age categories; using the upper limits of each school type to create a single multi-purpose institution. It houses up to 14,500 students and has a very large coverage radius. EQ Boost and Population vs Distance stats are the same as the standard Maxis schools.
        The Bat itself is fictional, and is based on any number of more modern educational institutions. 
        The central entrance area houses adminsitration, cafeteria, gymnasium/indoor courts & auditorium; the junior school is housed in the smaller wing, and the senior school laboratories and workshops in the larger wing.
        The adult college uses the senior wing after 5pm once all of the students and day teachers have gone home.
        This is a large building and lot, weighing in at 8x8 tiles (a bit over 4 acres in the old parlance) and has ample room for a soccer pitch, grassed relaxation areas and the typical asphalt surfaces where countless kids can graze their elbows and knees when falling over.
        It provides 390 teaching jobs.
        Visually, the lot is best placed on a corner, following the contour of the front driveway area.
        Like all my Bats, I have thoroughly tested this concept in both a Vanilla game and a full (4+GB) plugins for over 500 Sim Years in each and haven't observed any abnormal occurrences. In other words, all education levels increased when placed, desirability increased, rewards were unlocked, teachers went on strike when funding was dropped etc, etc.
        However, if there are any issues, please report them on my thread (Repository of Garbage, Broken Dreams and Disappointment).
        STATS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, HIGH SCHOOL and COLLEGE:
        Lot size :                      8x8
        Plop Cost:                   §16,150
        Bulldoze Cost:            §1,160
        Catalogue Capacity:  14,500
        Catalogue Cost/Mth:  §5,700
        Pollution:                     10 (Air)/ 7 (Water)/ 5 (Garbage )
        Pollution Radius:        2/3/0
        Coverage Radius:       5,800
        EQ Boost:                     24
        School Effect vs Age:20 (5), 30 (5), 40 (5), 50 (5), 60 (2.5), 70 (0.5), 80 (0)
        School Pop vs Dist:   100 100
        Power Consumed:     18 Mwh
        Water Consumed:      70 Gal/Month
        Occupant Group:        Civic; School; SchoolsHS; SchoolsK6; Strikable Education; College
        Demand Created:       R§236; R§§134; R§§§20
        NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:
        This download contains TWO model files; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos night-mod) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
        You must keep only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. Regardless of which file you choose to keep, make sure you DO NOT delete the Lot File!
        If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
        NOTE ABOUT PARKING TEXTURES:
        ****Sigh**** I look forward to the day when I won't have to write a ridiculous parking texture disclaimer for every Bat I release..... 
        The area in the front of the administration and senior wings is reserved for buses and teachers cars only. 
        I have deliberately left massive parking areas off this lot as it is already a large size (large lots attract extra crime) and there are so many custom parking lot options available that you can place your own parking, or, you can use the lot editor to maroon this BAT like some desert island in a dull endless sea of asphalt and white lines to emulate middle America. 
        DEPENDENCIES:
        To ensure proper functionality, make sure the following files are in your plugins:
        *BSC BAT Props - Mattb325 Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2383)
        *BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1180)
        *BSC Texture Pack - Cycledogg V01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=101)
        To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.
        Thanks
      • By mattb325
        Eddy Hall, Minnesota, by Mattb325.
        Inspired by a picture posted by a member of Simtropolis, the real Eddy Hall was constructed in 1886 as the Mechanic Arts Building for the University of Minnesota.
        The actual building is a simplified Queen Anne style executed in red-brick and red sandstone trim. The square tower which is slightly offset from the centre of the building dominates the frontage; it, together with the multi-gabled roof, large windows, patterned brick panels and wrough iron cresting make this a charming, eye catching building.
        This version is not a 100% accurate copy, but it is true to the language of the architectural style of the original building and this is simply one that I made for myself, but have decided to share with the community.
        The lot comes in two flavours: a growable Commercial Services (3x2 and 3x3...there is always an insatiable need for CS§§§ in game) and a ploppable College on a 4x4 lot, which is found in the Education Menu.
        STATS CS§§§:
        Lot size :                  3x2 & 3x3
        Growth Stage:         4 & 5 (Medium and High Density Zoning)
        Bulldoze Cost:         §610
        Capacity Satisfied:  CS§ 975, CS§§ 246, CS§§§100
        Pollution:                  6 (Air)/ 4 (Water)/ 8 (Garbage )
        Pollution Radius:     6/7/0
        Power Consumed:   28 Mwh
        Water Consumed:    249 Gal/Month
        Building Style:          Chicago/NY/Houston/Euro
        Occupant Group:     Commercial Services Building

STATS COLLEGE:
        Lot size :                  4x4
        Growth Stage:         Ploppable; Plop Cost §1,650
        Bulldoze Cost:         §140
        Catalogue Capacity:  4,000
        Pollution:                  3 (Air)/ 2 (Water)/ 1 (Garbage )
        Pollution Radius:     6/7/0
        Coverage Radius:     5,600
        EQ Boost:                  24
        Power Consumed:   6 Mwh
        Water Consumed:    23 Gal/Month
        Occupant Group:      Civic; Strikable Education; College
        Cost:                           §650
        NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:
        This download contains TWO model files; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos night-mod) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
        You must keep only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. Regardless of which file you choose to keep, make sure you DO NOT delete the Lot File!
        If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
        DEPENDENCIES:
        To ensure proper functionality, make sure the following files are in your plugins:
        *BSC BAT Props - Mattb325 Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2383)
        *BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1180)
        *BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790)
        *BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=746)
        *BSC Texture Pack - Cycledogg V01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=101)
        *SHK_ParkingPack.dat (

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.
        Thanks, and enjoy!

• By IDS2
        Rapson Library is an early 60s academic building based heavily on the University of Minnesota's Rapson Hall, located on the east bank of the Twin Cities campus. It is named for modernist architect Ralph Rapson, who was the head of the university's architecture department from 1954 to 1984. Though Rapson was responsible for a sizeable number of modernist works, perhaps he is best known for his Riverside Plaza apartment complex, which received mainstream attention when it was featured in the Mary Tyler Moore Show. To be clear, the real-world Rapson Hall was not designed by Ralph Rapson, but rather by Thorshov and Cerny, another Minneapolis-based firm.
        As the title suggests, I have modded this building as a library. One dependency is required - Volume 1 of the Cycledogg BSC texture pack. As always, I have included two options for the night scene: one that fits with the game's default night mode, and one that makes use of Simfox's delightful darknite mod.
        Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have or bugs you find. You can also check out my current projects here. 
      • By IDS2
        Another Minnesota building! It's almost as if I have a preference for that sort of thing.
        This particular building is located by the Mississippi River's western bank, right at the heart of the western portion of the University of Minnesota's Twin Cities campus. Dating to 1963, it was among the first buildings to be completed as part of the university's expansion across the river. Over 50 years later, it remains the tallest university building on the western side of the river and is home to, unsurprisingly, a number of social science departmental offices. 
        I've modded it as a ploppable college building as well as a growable CO$$ building. As usual, both darknite and maxisnite versions are included. The darknite scene requires this lovely mod from Simfox. Otherwise, this baby is dependency free.
        Note that two versions of this model are included - one with modeled ground and one with an editable lot. I kept the editable version simple so you can play around with it freely - I'm curious to see what you all come up with!
        Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you have or bugs you find. You can also check out my current projects here. 
      • By SimGoober
        This is a modern, urban design for a city college. It will service a large number of sims, as they enter the adult world, and help any mayor make a thriving, prosperous city.
        Lot details and information
        Lot size: 6 x 4 tiles Menu position: Civic, education Custom features: Menu icon, query Reward requirements: City population > 60,000 AND R$$ population > 20,000 Jobs: 220 civic Plop cost: $9,350 Bulldoze cost: $1,250 Transit enabled lot: no Power consumption: 48 MWh/month Water consumption: 90 gallons/month Air pollution: 3 over 3 tiles Water pollution: 2 over 4 tiles Garbage pollution: 20 tons per month Monthly cost: $1,250 Capacity: 12,000 School EQ boost: 24 (same as Maxis college) School coverage radius: 5,800 (same as Maxis college) Dependencies
        BSC Textures vol 01 BSC Essentials BSC MEGA Props Misc vol 02 BSC Textures vol 03 BSC MEGA Props SG vol 01  
        Mod edit 18th February 2017 - fixed formatting, updated dependencies