30 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

There is a community like this just downwind from were I am! In Cameron Park, it's just as described, and it has some tie downs included for public landings! Of course in order to live here, you'd be looking at homes being more than $600k. I hear there are airshows that happen sometimes, and as far as i'm aware the only planes that land here are single, maybe twin engine light aircraft. You couldn't exactly take jets to there, especially not even if you're John Travolta.

Sadly, I haven't tried one of these yet. My focus is on midsized regional airfields not unlike Burbank. But it does raise a challenge, I can get on a test next time I fire up SC4. One can be conjured up using the RMIP SAE asphalt tiles. Since most of my residential downloads are by SimCoug, the best way to go about it would be to add the T-hangars included with the RMIP behind those houses. As it happens, I have a smaller region in a valley that can use a GA field.

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, airman15 said:

I can get on a test next time I fire up SC4.

I believe that'll look great. It might even be an interesting new Show Us Your Fly-in Neighborhoods topic.

Aside:

Spoiler

We used to have a comedy club nearby with the simulation of a plane having crashed into it. It looked similar to this one:

wilsons.jpg

With an idea in mind, it would be similar to another experiment with farm fields. Instead of lining the edges with canals, fences, or the usual agriculture sidings it was with houses. That effect made for some spectacular community gardens, albeit a bit huge with the random AG building spoiling the housing rows.I'm sure with a bit of careful planning, a Fly-in can be pulled off in a similar style to Dayton Air Park.

Spoiler

Aside: That's a great way for upcycling! Much better than letting another bird from winding up in a picker's yard or the steel claws, funny too! Roseville has a mini golf course that uses the tail of an old Piper as a prop. It sticks out of a pool and it gives a good chuckle each time I see it!

Posted (edited)

@Jackspital- These types of communities are rare, it seems there are only a handful in each state and they are as exclusive as they get. Yet somehow it's not unusual to have these exclusive neighborhoods with perks. One co-worker was telling me of a place in Truckee this week (also in my home state), there is a neighborhood located in that town which includes it's own private ski resort. The homes within are offered at no less than $1m dollars and that's for undeveloped land. I jokingly asked if it's a prerequisite to already own a house prior to purchase and he said it's not uncommon the Truckee homes end up as people's winter retreats.. I know, it's mad.. And i'm hoping to be lucky enough one day to land a studio flat close to work for under $1000 USD.

I took the time tonight to see if developing a Fly-in community was possible in SC4.. And after a short experiment I can report it is! To an extent. Results below; from a zoomed out perspective, it looks just as if it's like any other small airfield until one gets closer and examines where the taxiways lead.
    IN1h9SH.png

of7rRHO.png

My experience so far with this test is it may depend on the type of residential lots you happen to have installed. Some of the houses can form a lot which can imply there is space behind it to include a hangar and make the overall illusion work. Several development cycles and the use of making buildings historic can help with matters. As you can see, several lots which developed the soonest were of low-wealth lots spawned closer to the hangars. It's like the residents tell their wife "Sorry dear, we may have to pawn our hierlooms but I got a great deal on the new Skyhawk! All we need is the gas!" Otherwise, it's a good way to include an airfield without having to undergo a traditional airport build out where you'd have to include such facilities like guard posts, terminals, gates, fuel depots and so forth. Even so, a 'public' space can just as easily be dedicated to another part of the airfield if one so chooses. That nose sticking through the door is an example of how (in this case my own) additional tweaks can play against the project if realism is the target.
    y0sZONj.png

The Mayor's mansion can blend in nicely as sometimes mayors need to make trips to the capitol and beyond.
    Xv8VDDY.png

Other takeaways-
    -The minimum spacing required between taxiway exits are at least 5 tiles, as shown in photos. This accounts for taxiway, hangar, a 1x1 housing space, and street connection.
    -For a small development like mine, I ran at least $300k simoleans. It includes not only the construction of the lots; it involved some mild leveling of the terrain. Keep in mind this can be a pricey venture in the long run if you're playing without unlimited funding. All the runway sets were burning more in expenses than taking in. Unless more taxiways can be devised and more hangars installed to counteract the deficit, you may be running a subsidy from elsewhere. I had to be careful with my words around the locals on this project as they were about ready to depose me for this decision..
    -If you happen to have a My Sim placed nearby, they will still complain about noise.
    -It's an excellent method to circumvent an airport demand cap relief if spacing is limited. There is a set of lots available on the Exchange which condenses the Maxis airfields to a handful of hangars and towers; but I can't seem to locate the link to it at this time.

I make the disclaimer this is only an experiment which was developed within a short time-frame. Other results may vary depending on what types of mods are run, and I didn't provide the conditions for a high-wealth setting. But I digress as I feel I got some really good results overall. I believe there is a lot of potential to create fly-ins for SimCity 4!

Edited by airman15  

-I'm not a very good writer!-

• Original Poster
  • @airman15

Wowzy! That's already very impressive. I look forward to more. *:)

For those you need to mark historical you might want to try my No Kickout mod. What it does is let homes grow and be replaced to the highest level within their wealth class (depending on demand) and yet never be replaced by a higher wealth class. This means you need not mark any historical unless you want them to stay as that exact building when another in its wealth class could replace it. Other times to still use the historical option is when a medium wealth grows on a large lot so that it doesn't later become two houses as the game tries to maximize the density of homes. (Do note that if a building abandons then any wealth level can replace it even with this mod in place.)

To get medium or high wealth to grow you can trick them by placing parks around the zoned lot and once the home(s) grow remove said parks for financial reasons. Ofc, they still need to have available employment or they will later dilapidate or abandon. With No Kickout in place, a dilapidated home can regain it's original wealth occupants when local conditions improve.

@airman15 wow, very nice work. Also its nice to know that you don't see these communities much, thats probably why I have never seen something like this, and the staggering price for just Undeveloped land. Really do love those hangars, and the airstrip, where are they from?

@Jackspital- Thank you! I agree; it's insane how expensive housing can be in a given location. There was a news story from San Francisco several months ago where housing is so high in town even a charred ruin still went on the market for $800k.

The runways and hangars are part of the RMIP series. There are four main components in the series which include the landing strip, the taxiways, several buildings and support structures. The runway lengths can be custom tailored to about any length and taxiways can be laid about in any configuration too! And the cherry on top is they can be landed on when flying the in-game aircraft!
    RMIP Vol 1
    RMIP Vol 2
    RMIP Vol 3
    RMIP Vol 4

@Jackspital- Using these packs will change everything! It can be a time-consuming process and airports may need a whole tile dedicated it their layout but it's well worth it.

Fun point; the Maxis airports are way underscaled versus how long runways actually get! The International airport has the longest runways in-game at 31 tiles long. Since tiles are roughly 16m sq. that translates to 496m. The shortest paved runway at Juancho E. Yrausquin airfield is 400m.

Maxis may have passed the shortest, but it's still far shorter the likes of San Francsico (2,232m), Heathrow (3,660m), or Tokyo Narita (2,500m)! And those aren't the longest runways for each.

@airman15 wow, I never realised just how short maxis runways actually are, and how long some real life runways are, 2,500m! I'll definitely be using this,  as I so far haven't got any airports on my current region, so im hoping that this will help me make some airports that will fit my realistic run, and look nice too. Seems like they will be the looks of it! *:ohyes:

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, airman15 said:

Cool. I just grabbed all of these and I love that they don't have any dependencies (other than 3 & 4 require the previous ones).

I've suddenly gotten an urge to try making a Fly-in neighborhood myself even tho I know nothing about laying out an airport.

• Original Poster
  • Me again.

I've tried my very first Fly-in neighborhood and one Sim family decided to move in. (Yes, I know it's horrid and using the wrong pieces.) I see a lengthy learning curve for which are the right pieces and where they are found among the zillion new entries in my Airport menu. *:lol:

img4567.jpg

17 hours ago, airman15 said:

I took the time tonight to see if developing a Fly-in community was possible in SC4.. And after a short experiment I can report it is!

Great job there, that really is very well put together and has a realistic scale. The mayor's house sure does blend in nicely, and for the other houses with the gateways making up their back yard. I guess this means instead of throwing money out the limo, they can fly around town and drop it off from their private plane. :whatevs:

I think the whole "fly-in" idea is a very cool concept I'd not heard of before, and to recreate it in SC4 really must take some trial and error. Then once getting used to each item available in the menus and realising what they can be used for, it'd become easier to know the many possible combinations of steps to take.

15 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I've tried my very first Fly-in neighborhood and one Sim family decided to move in.

That's a really nice start. *:)

In terms of the menus for the items...

Taking a look through those RMIP sets and other airport themed content Voltaire has posted to the STEX, I came across this MML file. Since the small airports series is composed of numerous parts, maybe this would be a possible solution? I'm not too sure how this works myself, but maybe @airman15 has tried these.

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Taking a look through those RMIP sets and other airport themed content Voltaire has posted to the STEX, I came across this MML file. Since the small airports series is composed of numerous parts, maybe this would be a possible solution?

I've bookmarked it to look into later. *;)

For now I've pulled out volumes 2, 3 & 4 and I've plopped everything from v1 just to see what they are. I believe I'll want to start by moving everything which doesn't apply to small, general aviation fields to a holding folder outside of plugins. (For instance in volume 4 I'll remove all the ones which apply to 747s as I don't plan to allow any jets to come flying in near the houses.)

Here's my plopping test of v1 only:

img4568v1.jpg

(I didn't plop all the runway marking numbers cause those are obvious to me what they are.)

@Jackspital- Using these sets, I never have to acknowledge the Maxis airfields again! Granted, this means that Area 5.1 and the DLC Air Base must be relotted to match, but it's a small price to pay for overall realism. I never even use the old cruise ship port because there is the Pegasus waterfront lots and a terminal was made to fit with it.

@DavidDHetzel- I agree the taxiways seem a bit big for the surroundings, and should be slimmed down. I don't think there's really an issue with the runway itself as when I go back to Cameron Park as my example it seems to fit being a standard runway in the real world. The only exception I can think of is the Jumbolair in Florida because that's where Mr. Travolta lives and the runway needed to support an airliner. Still, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to create a set of 'dirt' runways. That may even be a boon to rural settings as those types of runways can be found at crop dusting hubs!

@CorinaMarie- That is a fantastic first attempt! And you're right it does take a learning curve and an extra serving of patience. I can't tell how many airports I abandoned or scrapped because the layout wasn't right or I bit off more than can be chewed. Also, Thinning out unnecessary lots can be helpful for keeping menus simple, often if I run into lots where I just don't use or need them I move them into a repository on an external drive. In case I ever want to use them at a later time.

@Cyclone Boom- Thank you! I was surprised by the initial results. Since there aren't any taxiways which act like road connections, it may not be possible yet to introduce flight at the level of "kids, get in the plane or you'll be late for school". But I would prefer this method instead. Propellers spinning at several thousand rpm would not be good news in one of those community fender benders that always happen. Funny that I have all the RMIP sets, except for that MML. Yes, I am a bit of a masochist  when there's an airport under construction that way. If it's like any other other MML's I have from the Japanese SC4 sites all lots will be hidden unless those MML lots are built. Then after the project is complete the MML gets demolished and the remaining lots are hidden again.

20 hours ago, Jackspital said:

I never realised just how short maxis runways actually are, and how long some real life runways are, 2,500m!

Take a look at the runway 8/26 at Sierra Vista Municipal Airport in Arizona (which appears in this list!). Not bad for a municipal airport eh?

Absolutely!
    These were taken the night before, but Verizon strikes again and my internet went from 4G to 3G to dead.

W1jVJjF.jpg

CTZtTYD.jpg

A little bit of an overview with this arrangement is it goes threshold>runway number>4x2 w/ beginning skidmarks>landing target zone. Beyond that would be plain runway sections with some occasional taxiway exits. It's a simplified marking arrangement as these are rather short. Those lights off to the side are glideslope lights, though I realize the ones for 18 are on the wrong side.

• Original Poster
  • On 6/17/2018 at 3:31 AM, airman15 said:

There is a set of lots available on the Exchange which condenses the Maxis airfields to a handful of hangars and towers; but I can't seem to locate the link to it at this time.

Maybe it's this one? SWAP SimWings Airport Pack v2.3 Among other things it has small and large Air Traffic Control Towers, Airport Fire Control, a Refueling Station, Freight Cargo, Package Loading Center, small and large Hangars, various sized timed airplane lots, Airport Security, several options for Terminals, Parking Lot and Parking Garage, and various other stuff.

Here's a pic of some of it:

img4601.jpg

I've also found the TMIP - Taxiway Improvements which adds a bunch of new tiles with oodles of various Yellow Line squiggles. Then what appears to be a precursor of the current RMIP2, Runway Markings Improvement Pack with Concrete Runways that has 3 tile wide runways in both black asphalt and pale gray concrete as well as 2 tile wide asphalt ones. I like the asphalt ones because their edges are dirt more in line with a suburban Fly-in airport.:

For decorating with various planes, @Cyclone Boom found SCAG Cessna 208 Pack 1:

img4571 Cessnas.jpg

and SCAG Learjet 45 Pack 1:

img4604 Lear Jets.jpg

and just now a separate Airport Hangar lot which is a Maxis one:

img4605 Large Maxis Hangar.jpg

^ Oddly this one shows up in the Parks Menu and is named Open Grass Area, but the menu icon image is correct.

So, on to my new attempt at just the runway itself:

img4596.jpg

West end zoomiered:

img4597.jpg

East end:

img4598.jpg

I decided on about 4,000 feet long since that's the size of the real world Spruce Creek runway. Then it seems the various markings go at 500 foot intervals (even tho Spruce Creek doesn't have any extra markings except that S looking one at the halfway point). Converting that to meters is 152.4 and dividing by 16 equals 9.5 cells. I decided to call 10 cells 500 feet for laying out my runway. That's a really convenient number because the power poles like to space themselves out every 10 squares.

So, to keep my bearings I first drew the power poles like this:

img4581.jpg

I wanted to use the Displaced Threshold end so I positioned it so the runway end cross line would be adjacent to the power pole temporary markers:

img4583.jpg

img4584.jpg

Then I went along plopping the markers spaced out 500 feet apart based on my presumed 10 tiles:

img4589.jpg

And here it is before bulldozing all the power poles:

img4594.jpg

Then I filled in the gaps with blank runway pieces and taxiway exits and added grass tiles to get the finished runway shown at the start of these images. So, I believe I have it right now. At 500 feet I put the 3 stripe TouchDownZone, at 1,000 feet it could be the 1 stripe one, but I put the Aiming Point there, at 1,500 feet I put the 1 stripe as an interval marker, and then the 2 stripe one at 2,000 feet which is also the center of the runway length.

@CorinaMarie- Hmm that's not quite the one I was thinking of. It is the same idea which reduces the the footprints of the maxis airports to 2x2, 3x3, and iirc 3x4. These are the crucial bits as they still function like the maxis airports with the same stats and the same job offerings.

You're off to a promising start! The runway looks long enough to where it can support Grand Caravans or twin engine planes! Being that these airfields are more of a part of the suburbs there are lots of additional items that can be forgone. Items like a VOR checkpoint or ILS towers are added items if you're intending to build fields that support airliners. In General Aviation, you can get away without using them as pilots can opt for Visual Flight Rules which is most always the case I see in fly-ins. This also means you don't have to add lights on and around the runway.

After a bit of reworking, I wanted to see if it were possible to slim down the taxiways to a more 'realistic' size. The method was surprisingly simple and it allowed for an extra space for housing and a new hangar on each row! This is good as it helps to offset the expenses the remaining runway tiles. These shots were again taken the other night, but Verizon seems to have it out for me.
    IAXPKf0.png

There is one oddity where the taxiway markings imply pilots can only turn on or away from the runway since there isn't really a 'T' intersection to speak of for this arrangement. From a distance it isn't noticeable.
    A41D3Zt.png

And because not everyone is certified to work on their own planes, there is now a 'public' section with a maintenance wing and hangar space for rent. Offices in the narrow hangar, fuel provided on site.
    16ZcuM2.jpg

j0MmJ0j.jpg

• Original Poster
  • On 6/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, airman15 said:

After a bit of reworking, I wanted to see if it were possible to slim down the taxiways to a more 'realistic' size. The method was surprisingly simple and it allowed for an extra space for housing and a new hangar on each row!

Looking good! I'm sure your Sims will appreciate the extra hangars.

On 6/28/2018 at 11:46 AM, airman15 said:

There is one oddity where the taxiway markings imply pilots can only turn on or away from the runway since there isn't really a 'T' intersection to speak of for this arrangement.

Should it be like this? (Ofc, the texture would need swapped for the inner curves.)

img4647.jpg

I delayed replying cause I want to make mine similar to Spruce Creek. That means I need to make a handful of supplemental lots which required me to learn how to lot, gain understanding of the LotConfigPropertyLotObject data, make new textures, and GoFiSHing. That's taken me quite a while. :boggle:

Anyhow, back to this part of the real world runway:

imghp0000.jpg

Even having done all that homework, it took me several hours to make this one little piece:

Private 2 Tile Wide.jpgPrivate 2 Tile Wide Alpha.png

Here's how it looks just tossed in with other pieces:

img4646.jpg

^ The only relevant part of this pic is the section with the word PRIVATE. I still need to make the taxiway junctions further back and change to grass on the displaced threshold. I believe I also want to shorten it to just one arrow leading up to the /\ /\ /\ part. Then before the 2 x 1 private section change that to regular 2 x 1 runway with the taxiway and have separate lots for right, left, or thru at the end.

A DAMN menu for the RMIP pieces would be a lifesaver. The MML is OK but turns the pieces into reward lots which makes placing multiples a pain in the butt.

I should be able to make my own but none of the DAMN menu tools, either SSP or the newer one, seem to work on my machine, or at least, they are finicky beyond belief and changed some stuff around that I haven't been able to figure out how to undo, all while still not being conducive tools to making my own menus.

Otherwise, the other thing I would imagine would be useful for a completely fly-in community would be subway lots disguised as taxiways (or something) that would allow Sims to travel to the runway to get to work (via hidden subway). The player would obviously know the difference but in theory it would allow for a community that is completely cut off, road access wise, from the other neighboring communities.

@CorinaMarie- That's a great idea! If only there were a matching curve piece then it'd be perfect! I was actually referencing the bits where the taxiways join the runway. The only exit from the runway requires the 2x tile taxiways. Otherwise, I can see your 'T' design working well for a rural or private airfield.

Btw- that 'Private' marking is a thing of beauty! Definitely a must-download with the rest of the airport sets I use.

@APSMS- Every time I tried the DAMN, it never worked. I could build up a menu but the in-game directories don't show anything. Is it a problem that has to do with OS? I've still got Windows 7 and I haven't changed the game in any way other than install a pallet worth of mods.

• Original Poster
  • 4 hours ago, airman15 said:

The only exit from the runway requires the 2x tile taxiways.

And this'll be something I'm making too. Since I like the dirt edges I'm working from the original Maxis textures and I plan to make my own versions of the 3 displaced thresholds as well as the mid-runway taxiway exits such that they will be only one tile wide coming off of said runway. *;)

4 hours ago, airman15 said:

Btw- that 'Private' marking is a thing of beauty! Definitely a must-download with the rest of the airport sets I use.

Thanks! I've a wee bit more tweaking I plan for it, but if you feel it'd be useful I can could make an addon pack that would fit with the old RMIP 1 which uses the dirt edges and toss it on the STEX when it's tested and finished. (I'm going to improve the R just a wee bit.)

• Original Poster
  • @airman15

In case you'd want the draft version to play with, I'll attach it here. I've made it to use the same parent cohorts as those in SWAP SimWings Airport Pack v2.3. More specifically, you'll need these 3 files from the SWAP 2.2\Thalassicus folder:

1. Airport_Global.dat
    2. Airport_Runways.dat
    3. Airport_Runways_Standard.dat

Private Word on Runway v0.1.zip