HeatherF

Odd artifact when in region view

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I am having a weird issue when in Region view. All large cities are showing an odd band across the bottom border of the city. As you can see in this image, the band only shows on large city tiles, not the medium cities (or the small cities if I had any in this region).

Randolph.thumb.png.daeb2c6df729d23b9e10db6ea41baf0c.png

I am playing SimCity 4 Deluxe digital version from GOG Games. My PC is a custom built running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. My Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 610. My current startup options for SimCity are: "C:\GOG Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CPUCount:4 -CustomResolution:enabled -r1600x1200x32 -Intro:off -f -CPUPriority:high

Can anyone suggest possible reasons for the bands and how I might get rid of them? They are only in the region view, not in city view so it's more irksome than critical, but I'd still like to know what is causing it.

Thanks!

It's a bug due to using higher resolution than Maxis ever dreamed of peeps having. Once you go above 1199 vertical it does that. It is only a graphical anomaly, but quite annoying. The only known solution is to drop down the screen size, open each city tile, re-save, and then exit. That'll fix up the thumbnail which the region view uses.

• Original Poster
  • Ah. Thanks. It IS annoying, but not enough to make me drop the resolution, which works perfectly for my screen size.

Welcome to the forums. *:)

Although it's not related to the region view issue as caused by an excess screen resolution, I just thought I'd mention about the "CPUcount" command...

I notice from your startup line you've set your processor to use 4 cores. In terms of helping with the game's stability on modern multi-core processors, it's highly recommended to limit this to a single core by using: -CPUcount:1

I'm not too sure on the exact technicalities. But this being a 2003 era game when the old Pentium processors were around, it basically doesn't know how to take advantage of today's technology. Therefore without restricting to a single core, SC4 can be prone to increased instabilities (crashes to desktop).

• Original Poster
  • 5 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Although it's not related to the region view issue as caused by an excess screen resolution, I just thought I'd mention about the "CPUcount" command...

I notice from your startup line you've set your processor to use 4 cores. In terms of helping with the game's stability on modern multi-core processors, it's highly recommended to limit this to a single core by using: -CPUcount:1

I'm not too sure on the exact technicalities. But this being a 2003 era game when the old Pentium processors were around, it basically doesn't know how to take advantage of today's technology. Therefore without restricting to a single core, SC4 can be prone to increased instabilities (crashes to desktop).

I know this and I always did. However, I was playing with one of the launchers and noticed the setting so I decided to play with it and see what happens. So far, it's not crashing and seems to be running a tad faster. I'll be watching for CTDs and if they get too frequent I'll dial it back.

18 hours ago, HeatherF said:

I'll be watching for CTDs and if they get too frequent I'll dial it back.

They'll happen as soon as you've grown some buildings and then you change the zoom level (perhaps while the clock running; I can't recall exactly). The game's developer thread will be updating some data at the same time the display thread is trying to redraw the scene, and because the two threads do not synchronize data access properly for true multi-core multi-threading, a concurrent access exception will be raised, and you will crash to desktop, losing all unsaved work (and as much time as your system needs to reload the game and city).

So, go ahead and paint some towns with roads, zones etc using multiple cores, but change that setting before the session in which you plan to start the clock running on development in any of them.

• Original Poster
  • On 6/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, jeffryfisher said:

So, go ahead and paint some towns with roads, zones etc using multiple cores, but change that setting before the session in which you plan to start the clock running on development in any of them.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely remember to do that then.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:22 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

sorry to just barge in, but can you please tell me how to set this cpu count thing? I think this is why I having so many crashes all of a sudden on my new laptop. Thank you :) 

3 hours ago, Raynwolf said:

sorry to just barge in, but can you please tell me how to set this cpu count thing?

Just to clarify along with the resource @CorinaMarie linked above, the parameters including CPUcount work when added to the "Target" field of the game's shortcut. First of all it references the game's executable file. Then after the closing quote and a space, any will be sent as instructions upon clicking the shortcut to start SC4.

Like so:

SC4 Target Shortcut CPUcount.png

As per the examples, each command can be added separated by a space and a hyphen.

For instance my full "Target" field contains:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r1600x900x32 -f -intro:off -CPUcount:1

Describing from left to right as highlighted (the order doesn't matter):

1. Enables a custom resolution to be set.
    2. Defines the width, height and colour depth of my custom resolution.
    3. Runs the game in full screen mode.
    4. Disables the game's intro loading sequence.
    5. Forces a single core to be used at all times.