jakis

[Solved] Problems after changing tilesets

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I'd changed tilesets to the one (Chicago) in all necessary .sc4desc files by iLive's reader: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ilive-reader/

Have to say, that all this plugins were already used in my cities on that moment.

So, I've decided to test them in the pre-builded city. Everything were good until the moment when I noticed: when I rotate scene or zoom in/out, new models (from plugins after tileset editing) just disappearing and remaining in that state till I will save city by "ctrl+s", at this moment they appearing in their places. Ok, to be sure I decided to start new city and set the right building style, but nothing is building even after 5 years, despite the high demand.

I don't think, I've did something wrong and I'm sure the data in OccupantGroups is fully right. Or do I need to refresh assotiated Lots?.. Or something else?..

• Original Poster
  • 11 hours ago, Prophet42 said:

Make sure you check all .sc4lot files and any associated .sc4desc files.  Sometime the .sc4desc files will contain examplers with lot information in them.

Sorry, in more detail, please? I'm above the beginner in this theme for a bit, but i'm still a noob :) ...

17 minutes ago, jakis said:

Sorry, in more detail, please?

I believe what @Prophet42 is saying is that you need to open any file in your plugins folder which ends with either .sc4lot or .sc4desc and look for exemplars similar to the ones you are already familiar with when you changed the tileset variable.

I don't have ready example of this offhand, but I was using Reader to tweak something else and I made the change in one file which had no effect and I had to change it in another to have the game recognize what I had done. Someone explained this somewhere, but I don't recall the details. Basically, some tool writes out the exemplar into two of the created files and in one the duplicate exemplar is superfluous. A change to the one the game ignores does nothing.

I'm sure one of the gurus will be along to give more specific details on what I'm trying to say.

• Original Poster
  • I've tried to open a Residental folder (all plugins were edited in there for OccupantGroups) in SC4PIM and what I've seen. Here are 2 examples of a big list:

Скриншот 2018-06-09 21.54.59 Скриншот 2018-06-09 21.54.53

Notably, that then I've tried to open a Commercial folder (none plugin in there were edited) by the same programm, nothing happened like I mentioned here, so everything were fine and opened without any error.

___

UPD: oh wow, it just cleaned up some data, though I didn't even touched them. Oh, gosh... It's very good that I made a backup of that folder before editing. But I'll have to edit over 500 files again. Ah, yes, here's a question: May it be, because I used for editing this version of iLive's Reader: https://ilive-reader.soft112.com/ , instead of the older and, kind of, official: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21343-ilive-reader-093/ ?

2 hours ago, jakis said:

I've tried to open a Residental folder (all plugins were edited in there for OccupantGroups) in SC4PIM ...

I've not used SC4PIM so I'm not sure what all those errors mean. :O (Good luck on that part.)

2 hours ago, jakis said:

I used for editing this version of iLive's Reader: https://ilive-reader.soft112.com/ , instead of the older and, kind of, official: https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21343-ilive-reader-093/ ?

That linky for the 1.4 version doesn't look like an official one by @Tropod, but maybe it is. Anyhow, the latest official version that I'm aware of is referenced in this SC4 Devotion post. Once there, you will find two separate linkys. The first one is for the installer for the program and the one at the end of the post is for the source code.

Reader 1.5.4 Post.jpg

The 0.93 version that you found here on the STEX is the most stable and most often used. However, the v1.5.4 available from Devotion is more robust in what it can handle. For instance there are certain variables in an exemplar that 0.93 simply cannot show and therefore cannot be edited. On the other hand, 1.5.4 is a wee bit temperamental. See the first paragraph of @twalsh102's post here for an explanation. (That's also the thread if you read before and after the linked post where you'll see one set of variables that only 1.5.4 gives access to.)

For changing values in the OccupantGroups variable, the 0.93 should be sufficient.

• Original Poster
  • Yeah, so the problem was in my version of iLive's Reader, this version of programm just was keeping breaking those plugins, so that's why nothing were building. Thanks! :D

2 hours ago, jakis said:

Yeah, so the problem was in my version of iLive's Reader, this version of programm just was keeping breaking those plugins, so that's why nothing were building. Thanks! :D

So, can we considered this one totally solved?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Thorx21
        This is the most glorious farming mod I've ever come across, credits to all who helped make it work. I play it with CAM 2.1.0
        And it does work. However I was thoroughly reading the Colossus farming manual .pdf regarding the installation procedure and there's one line of information I tumble over.
        There's the Sunflower dependency by HunD88 where according to the writer of the manual I have to edit the lot file if I want to use the sunflowers with CAM otherwise it supposedly overwrites CAM data. Not sure what the writer of that manual meant with this regarding consequences if undone but it sounds pretty bad if I don't.
        The colossus farming manual says this about the sunflower dependency >
        I use both, and I want to.
        Further down the manual is the list containing many ID's, including the one for Sunflowers. I need to change the ID to 0xA5F3E522 but I don't know where.
        I opened the Sunflower farm fields .lot file with Ilives reader and I'm clueless about what number to change to 0xA5F3E522.  

• By Prophet42
        I was trying to install iLive's reader version 1.5.4 on my machine, but when it tries to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable file, I get the error 'Your machine does not meet the requirements to install this software' because apperantly I have a newer version of C++ 2010 installed.  My question is do I just uninstall the current C++ 2010 file I have and try to re-install, or is there some other work around to get Reader 1.5.4 to install?
        Currently I do have Reader version 0.93 and 1.5.2 installed and working on my machine.
        OS is Windows 7 Professional.
      • By Fantozzi
        I noticed on most of the farmprops I created by default the property 'light' is set to true.
        But obviously f.e. my tomato plants or my cabbage has no nightlights. I didn't notice any issue with leaving this property on default.
        Wiki says:
        0x4a9f188b Bool Light Set if prop has a light mask and should light up at night with the lot building.  
        How important is it to set this to false on all my props?

• By tariely
        Old player here but total newbie as far as the Reader is concerned. Duly dezipped, RTFM, and opened the beast. Paranoïa strikes at first sight : what is this ?

here's the folder ; is something missing ?

• By 11241036
        I have discovered a strange issue in the game  that I'd like to start a discussion about. However, I'm not really sure if this issue is unique to my copy of SimCity 4 Deluxe (I purchased a digital copy from Amazon since I switched to Windows 10 and the CD version doesn't work anymore), because I've already discovered another strange issue that I never had a year ago when I was playing on the CD version of SC4. In case you want to test it on your own, I've attached the relevant testing files to this post, but please read first.
        The issue: In the game menu's building style subsection, there is a command whhich would allow the player to let all building styles be grown at the same time (I'm playing SC4 in German, therefore, I don't know the proper English name). Please see the second screenshot below. My assumption is that in my game, this command does not work at all and the game still shifts to another building style in regular intervals which are defined by the command "Change building style every ... years". To get some evidence about this, I started a series of experiments like this:

External preparations:
        I had not been entirely sure if this issue is being caused by a plugin or if it is an in-game bug, therefore, I've made two serieses of experiments, one on an already developed Plugins folder and one without any plugins (except a building blocker and the testlots).
        To make sure that 1. I can control which buildings will grow, 2. I will be able to recognize them according to their building style, and 3. all building styles have the same chance of being grown, I did the following:
        I downloaded and installed a building blocker plugin (this one, to be exact) and customized it in a way that it would prevent all default Maxis residentials from growing but would still allow all industrials and commercials to be grown. I removed all residentials from my Plugins folder. I developed 4 residential lots (R$, 1x2, Stage 1, low density) with identical stats and completely devoid of props that just had two differences: Each one onlw grows under one tileset, the tileset being different for each one; and they had different base textures so that I could easily recognize them. BTW, these testlots are attached to this post; you are free to download and use them, if you want.  
        In-game preparations:
        I started a new region and created a scene with the following properties:
        Only 1x2 low-density residential zones have been laid out. They are supplied with power and water, and a few commercial and industrial zones, as well as agricultural zones, have been laid out as well. Only about 25% of the residential zones have road access. The reason: I want to be able to demonstrate the visual results if my assumption was correct. After 1 year has passed, I'll connect another 25% of the residential zones to a street.
        The settings in the building style menu:

The results:
        After 1 year (at Dec 31st, 00):

After 2 years:

After 3 years:

After 4 years:

After this 4 years period, the game just starts again with the buildings shown in the year of 00. BTW, the order in which the building styles are growing is: Chicago, New York, Houston, Euro.
        I repeated this testing series with a completely empty Plugins folder (aside from the Maxis buildings blockers and the testing lots, of course). The results were the same.
        This could still be a coincidence, but imo this is really unlikely. I assume that in this case the command "Build all tilesets at the same time" doesn't work at all, for whatever reason.

Questions:
        I've been playing Sim Sity 4: Deluxe for about 7 years now. I've frequently been wondering why sometimes certain buildings just don't want to grow, and sometimes the game just grows the same building all over my cities. But during years of roaming Simtropolis Exchange and sc4devotion, I've never stumbled about a thread or even one single post mentioning a bug like this. Am I the first one to discover a bug that has went undiscovered all the time? Or is it just me and there's something wrong with the digital copy I purchased? Or is there another in-game setting that I'm not aware of that could cause such a behavior of the game?
        Is this malfunction actually known, at all? Has it already been discovered and I just never heard about it?
        In case someone else has reason to assume that their copy of SC4 would suffer from the same malfunction: I'd highly appreciate if at least some people would download and install the testing lots attached to this post, make the same experiments (they don't require external dependencies), and report the results here.
        Testing Lots for Building Styles.zip