maied

GLR to Rail (Heavy Rail) Transition

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hello All,

I was wondering how one might transition GLR to regular ground rail (heavy rail)? It is probably some easy thing that I am just missing. But, any help would be appreciated. I want to connect the GLR networks of two different cities. I would have trouble using elevated rail in this particular situation. Although, if that's the only way, I guess I will have to make it work. 

Anywho, is there a lot for this transition from GLR to rail? Or something included in the NAM?

Thanks again for any help.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you for that. I didn't even realize there was a NAM section. It's been so long since I've used a forum...ugh. I feel like a newborn or something. lol.

Due to the limitations of the game, it's not possible for two completely separate networks to interact normally. I.e., GLR which is technically the El-Rail network, only at ground level, can not be made to transition to the regular Rail network.

That's not to say that there aren't workarounds which aim to do this, I'm sure somewhere you'll find a TE switch which would convert El-Rail traffic into Rail. However, such pieces will have some limitations since they are not a proper network. The most glaring one is that freight trains simply aren't supported on the El-Rail network, so such traffic will not work beyond such a switch. You may also get some weird automata behaviour, since trains have different automata from El-Rail. So since a TE switch literally transfers all the El-Rail traffic to Rail or vice-versa, that may mean a El-Rail train enters, but a normal passenger train leaves the switch. In real life of course rail is just rail and for sections different services could share the lines, but SC4 simply wasn't made to work like this. Note that the third rail type is Monorail, also used for BTM and HSR networks in the NAM.

Bear in mind also, many of the NAM networks allow for these three types of rail to be used at different levels:

• Rail (Default)
      Normal Rail tool, Rail Viaducts (Elevated), U-Rail (Underground).
    • El-Rail
      Base Elevated system, GLR (Ground-Based) and Subway (Underground). Subways are another quirk in that you can interface with El-Rail but they aren't technically El-Rail. The difference being this is hard-coded into the game, something NAM developers have no way of doing.
    • Monorail
      Base Elevated system only for Monorail/BTM. HSR includes a Ground-based variant though, G-HSR.

As previously mentioned, the three types are not interoperable in that trains can switch between networks, without workarounds. But perhaps seeing an overview will help you to consider which type works best for a given situation when building.

• Original Poster
  • 11 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Due to the limitations of the game, it's not possible for two completely separate networks to interact normally. I.e., GLR which is technically the El-Rail network, only at ground level, can not be made to transition to the regular Rail network.

That's not to say that there aren't workarounds which aim to do this, I'm sure somewhere you'll find a TE switch which would convert El-Rail traffic into Rail. However, such pieces will have some limitations since they are not a proper network. The most glaring one is that freight trains simply aren't supported on the El-Rail network, so such traffic will not work beyond such a switch. You may also get some weird automata behaviour, since trains have different automata from El-Rail. So since a TE switch literally transfers all the El-Rail traffic to Rail or vice-versa, that may mean a El-Rail train enters, but a normal passenger train leaves the switch. In real life of course rail is just rail and for sections different services could share the lines, but SC4 simply wasn't made to work like this. Note that the third rail type is Monorail, also used for BTM and HSR networks in the NAM.

Bear in mind also, many of the NAM networks allow for these three types of rail to be used at different levels:

• Rail (Default)
      Normal Rail tool, Rail Viaducts (Elevated), U-Rail (Underground).
    • El-Rail
      Base Elevated system, GLR (Ground-Based) and Subway (Underground). Subways are another quirk in that you can interface with El-Rail but they aren't technically El-Rail. The difference being this is hard-coded into the game, something NAM developers have no way of doing.
    • Monorail
      Base Elevated system only for Monorail/BTM. HSR includes a Ground-based variant though, G-HSR.

As previously mentioned, the three types are not interoperable in that trains can switch between networks, without workarounds. But perhaps seeing an overview will help you to consider which type works best for a given situation when building.

This helps a lot. It basically answers any question about which networks I can interface with others. Perfect. 

So, I will use the elevated rail to transition and send the traffic to the other city and then transition back. I also didn't realize elevated rail couldn't carry freight...been playing this game off and on since the day it came out. Shows how much I pay attention. :-)

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andrew S
        First upload, please let me know what you all think and what needs improvement.  I plan on making some more halloween themed parks.  Just put the .SC4Lot file in your Plugins folder.  1 Dependency Needed, link in comments section.  Only tested on SC4 Deluxe.  No lighting at night due to inexperience.  Will continue to make edits and updates to this file as time goes on.  Lot size is 3x6.  Thank you!
        *file needs a few updates, will try to do it by the end of the week*
      • By tariely
        TL-Simsim Infinity Parks Again (modules)

Someone [thanks, pghpgx !], alerted me to the fact that some of the modules and parks of my earlier modular upload (Tariel-simsim Infinity Parks) did not have the same grass texture as the rest. Here they are, duly corrected : one 2x2 park (which can also serve as a module attached to other parks), two 1x3 (which can form rectangular 3x2 parks, put together), two versions of a 3x3 and finally a 4x4.  You can still use the ones with the previous grass texture as standalones, of course.
        NB : you may want LLB’s 3 addons, (in the first upload) to link all these parks & modules more funkily.
        Dependencies :
        Someone protested that I don’t disclose my lots’ dependencies up front here. So here they are (as well as in the folder).
        BSC_BATProps_Mattb325_vol02.dat
        BSC MegaProps_MJB_Vol01.dat
        BSC MegaProps_MJB_Vol02.dat
        BSC Textures vol.01 : http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=90  [well, this one doesn't seem to click-work, but the URL is the right one]
        BSC Textures vol.02
        DEL_People MMP: in VIP Delecto Ploppable People
        Nams Props Pack Vol.1.dat
        Nams Props Pack Vol.2.dat
        PorkieProps-Vol1.dat
        wmp_power_props01.dat
        Ftexture.dat (included)
        Rivit NightLights (included
        Girafe Trees : Berries, Beeches, Chestnuts, Elms, Honey Locusts, Lindens, Maples, Rowans.

Many thanks to my technical gurus, Rsc204, Kosc and Dreadnought. And especially Rivit, who lighted my SC4world and is always generously ready to help. And the guys and gals on the forums (Twalsh, Matias93, Fantozzi, Catty-cb, Corinamarie…). We need help when we begin peeking under the hood of SC4. That the community is always there for us noobies is a constant and pleasant reassurance.

General warnings :
        (1) This is for SC4 Rush Hour.
        (2) I play with NAM36, RRW-EU selection (it shouldn’t interfere here, but you never know !)
        (3) I also play with Twrecks Maxis HD Tree Replacement (if you don’t use it, your trees might look a bit different ; perhaps you should use it…)
         (4) I play Nights. Hence the included RVT zNightLighting. Depending on your using or not a Light Replacement Mod, the lighting will be slightly different, but There Will Be Light. If you dont want it, you can either tweak my lights in the Lot Editor or get rid of them entirely.
        (5) I like trees. I make intensive use of trees. Especially Girafe tree collection on the LEX ; so here’s the link, once for all ; just follow it into the woods.
      • By tariely
        Tariel Pagoda Park (9x8)
        This one is all my own, I made it from scratch way back then when I began lotting and relotting, (i.e. last year), and I learned a lot while making it, so it is dear to my heart. Yes, the list of deps may seem daunting, but you may already have most of them, (especially if you’ve downloaded some of my other parks.)
        BSC MEGA Props JRJ Vol05 (Trees-P-T.dat)
        BSC MegaProps_MJB_Vol02.dat
        BSC MegaProps_swi21_Vol01.dat
        BSC Prop_Pack_DiggisPonds2.dat
        BSC Textures vol.02 
        BSC TexturePack Cycledog V01b
        FrankU Farm Prop Families Maxis and Bsc V1.1.dat 
        JENX_Trees v.1 BSC (for Mattb325 willow tree)
        LBT Mega Textures Pack vol 2
        KRG_CP_Mediterranean Selection.datKRG-CP Mediterranean Selection (7)
        Nams_Props_Pack_Vol_02
        Nos.17 Essentials V12 (nos.17 CarCollection_ortho.dat & _diag.dat)
        VIP Rural Pack Fixed (for  OR_VIP_Narcissus.dat, R6_VIP_HerbesPampaBig.dat, R6_VIP_HerbesPampaSmall.dat, R6_VIP_IrisDesMaraisSaisonniers.dat, R6_VIP_RoseauxBig.dat, R6_VIP_RoseauxSmall.dat, Vnaoned_VIP_Herons.dat)
        PEG-MTP_MM3-ForestFlora_MOD_100.dat, in PEG MTP Forest Pack
        PEG-MTP_Super_Resource_Pack.dat in PEG MTP SUPER PACK
        PorkieProps-Vol1.dat
        http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11421-porkie-props-vol1-european-street-accessories/
        RVT Nightlights (included)
        Tamorr_Family_Prop_V1.dat, in Tamorr’s Resource 2.05
        VIP-Delecto Plop People (Del_People.dat, DEL_People MMP)
        VIP-Vnaoned Propspack vol01
        wmp_power_props01.dat, in WMP Power Lots

GIRAFE TREES GALORE : Ashes, Beeches, Berries, Birches, Bushes, Chestnuts, Conifers, Elms, Honey Locusts, Lindens, Lupins, Maples, Norway Maples, Rowan trees. You can always add more if you want to…
        Many thanks to my technical gurus, Rsc204, Kosc and Dreadnought. And especially Rivit, who lighted my SC4world and is always generously ready to help. And the guys and gals on the forums (Twalsh, Matias93, Fantozzi, Catty-cb, Corinamarie…). We need help when we begin peeking under the hood of SC4. That the community is always there for us noobies is a constant and pleasant reassurance.
        General warnings :
        (1) This is for SC4 Rush Hour.
        (2) I play with NAM36, RRW-EU selection (it shouldn’t interfere here, but you never know !)
        (3) I also play with Twrecks Maxis HD Tree Replacement (if you don’t use it, your trees might look a bit different ; perhaps you should use it…)
         (4) I play Nights. Hence the included RVT zNightLighting. Depending on your using or not a Light Replacement Mod, the lighting will be slightly different, but There Will Be Light. If you dont want it, you can either tweak my lights in the Lot Editor or get rid of them entirely.
        (5) I like trees. I make intensive use of trees. Especially Girafe tree collection on the LEX ; so here’s a link, once for all ; just follow it into the woods.

• By DefconZero
        Greetings,
        Linux user here (quick shout-out to all users of unix-like operating systems) and new to Simtropolis.
        I'd like to customize the installation of NAM beyond what is offered by the "minimal" option as presented. Essentially I'm only interested in the enhanced path-finding functions, pertaining to sims using transportation options and nothing else. Skimming through the manuals, I didn't find a detailed technical report on the data files themselves and which ones contain which functions. I'd like to know which file(s) are necessary for pathfinding so that I can delete all other non-essential plugins and components. I guess you could say I'm just an optimization geek and I follow the Unix philosophy of "Do one thing only and do it well."
        If I overlooked such a report, or technical overview, please direct me to the appropriate page as needed, I love reading technical documents!

• By Tarkus
        Network Addon Mod and SC4 Transportation-Related Acronyms

NAM: Network Addon Mod
        The Network Addon Mod is an extensive mod for SimCity 4 Deluxe/Rush Hour, which encompasses virtually all community-developed transport network content (excluding stations, cosmetic mods and lot-based items). ABEP: Arthur Berkhardt Expressway Project
        An "April Fools Day" cosmetic mod produced by Tarkus for the RealHighway's RHW-8S network, inspired by the episode of the American comedy series "Seinfeld". ARD: Asymmetrical Road
        An Asymmetrical Road is a Road in which there are more lanes travelling in one direction than the other. The ARD-3 network in the Network Widening Mod has 2 lanes in one direction, 1 lane in the other, and is a Road-based override from a starter piece, and has a higher capacity than the default Road network through the use of Distilled Intersection Paths (DIPs) ATL: Avenue Turning Lanes
        An optional plugin in the NAM Core, which adds turn lanes to +-intersections between two orthogonal Avenues. AVE: Avenue
        An abbreviation used not only to refer to the game's default Avenue network (sometimes called "AVE-4" in this short hand, because it has 4 lanes), but also the single-tile 2-lane (AVE-2) and triple-tile 6-lane (AVE-6) networks with divided medians, included in the Network Widening Mod (both of which are actually Road-based override networks built from starter pieces, as single-tile and triple-tile networks are extraordinary difficult to build from the dual-tile Avenue network). BTM: Bullet Train Mod (also called Shinkansen Addon Mod)
        A Monorail replacement mod developed by the Japanese content APTX, and popularized by Haljackey. CAN-AM: Canal Addon Mod
        A NAM Core option that allows for fully functional transportation via Canal, using puzzle pieces. Developed by daeley, Chrisim, and members of the BSC. CP: Cosmetic Piece
        Cosmetic Pieces are specialized puzzle pieces, designed to allow users desiring great attention to detail to customize the look and feel of their transportation networks. The best known Cosmetic Pieces are included in the RealHighway system. DBE: Diagonal Bridge Enabler
        A Plugin that uses temporary files, draining all of a city's water and locking road and rail slopes, to allow the construction of diagonal bridges and other advanced bridge designs from starter pieces. DDI: Diverging Diamond Interchange
        A type of interchange popularized by American traffic engineer Gilbert Chlewicki, which resembles a standard diamond interchange, but flips the driving directions between the freeway connections along the surface street, to allow smoother movement of cross-turning traffic. The RealHighway system includes pieces to construct DDIs, which, in-game, have a higher capacity than standard diamond interchanges. DIP: Distilled Intersection Path
        A Distilled Intersection Path is a bogus path designed to trick the game into thinking that a non-intersection tile is an intersection tile. Coupled with the settings for intersection capacity in the NAM Traffic Simulator, DIPs actually increase the capacity of affected tiles by 25%. They cannot be used on any network tile that already has an intersection or crossover path. DIPs are used to adjust capacities of wider networks in the RealHighway (RHW) system, the Network Widening Mod (NWM), and some Turn Lane Extension Pieces (TuLEPs). DRI: Draggable Ramp Interface
        A Draggable Ramp Interface is a type of ramp interface built through draggable means for the RealHighway system. For more information, see the entry on "RI" (Ramp Interface). DTR: Dual Track Rail
        An acronym sometimes used to refer to the game's default Rail network, particularly in the context of the extended networks included in the Railway Addon Mod (RAM). ELR: Elevated Light Rail
        An acronym sometimes used to refer to the game's default Elevated Rail network, particularly when discussing its ground-level counterpart, Ground Light Rail (GLR), an addition included in the NAM Core. EMHW: Elevated Maxis Highway
        An acronym sometimes used to refer to the game's default Elevated Highway network. ERHW: Elevated RealHighway
        An acronym sometimes used to refer to Elevated RealHighways. ETRM: Euro Texture Replacement Mod
        A cosmetic mod designed to change the appearance of roads to look more European/International, rather than the American default. The most recent version is MandelSoft's. FA: Fractional Angle
        A network piece that is neither orthogonal, nor diagonal, but in between the two. The angle for the existing FA content is 18.4 degrees/71.6 degrees, and is referred to as "FA3", because each tileable segment is 3 tiles long. Another angle, "FA2" (26.6 degrees/63.4 degrees), sometimes called "HD" (half-diagonal) is in development, named because each tileable segment is 2 tiles long. FA3 content is currently available for Roads, Avenues, Rails, and some RealHighway networks. FA2 content is not yet available for any network. FAA: Fractional Angle Avenue
        See FA. FAOWR: Fractional Angle One-Way Road
        See FA. FAR: Fractional Angle Road
        See FA. FARHW: Fractional Angle RealHighway
        See FA. FARR: Fractional Angle Railroad
        See FA. FHW: FakeHighway
        A pejorative term sometimes used to describe MHW, due to the fact that it is half-scaled compared to other game networks. FLEXFly: Flexible Flyover
        A special flyover ramp puzzle piece included in the RealHighway system. It is placed like a puzzle piece, but is overrideable like a draggable item. It is a WAVERide piece. FlexSPUI: Flexible Single-Point Urban Interchange
        A special puzzle piece included in the RealHighway system, designed to allow for the construction of Single Point Urban Interchanges, which resemble standard diamond interchanges, but with the ramps meeting in the center to form a single intersection. It is placed like a puzzle piece, but is overrideable like a draggable item. It is a WAVERide piece. GID: Group ID
        A hexadecimal identifier designed to specify the function of a given game asset. GHSR: Ground High Speed Rail
        The ground-level component of the High Speed Rail Project (HSRP). It is a Monorail-based override network built from a starter piece. GLR: Ground Light Rail
        A ground-level counterpart to the game's default Elevated Rail network, included in the NAM Core (sometimes also called the "Tram" network). It exists in several style variants, all of which are Elevated Rail-based override networks built from a starter piece, and dual-networking options, embedded in Avenues, Roads, and Streets, also exist (see T-RAM, TIA, TIR, TOR, and TOS). GMHW: Ground Maxis Highway
        An acronym sometimes used to refer to the game's default Ground Highway network. HSR: High Speed Rail
        The elevated component of the High Speed Rail Project (HSRP). It is a Monorail-based override network built from a starter piece. It is primarily cosmetic in effect. HSRP: High Speed Rail Project
        A project which adds starter piece-based mass transit networks based upon the Monorail network. The two components included are the Elevated High Speed Rail (HSR), and Ground High Speed Rail (GHSR). IID: Instance ID
        A hexadecimal number used to identify a specific network piece, exemplar, RUL file, etc. INRUL: Individual Network Rule File
        A type of Network Rule (RUL) File, used to handle the placement of individual networks, including intersections of the given network with itself. All INRULs lie in the IID range between 0x00000001 and 0x00000018. MAVE: Medianless Avenue (deprecated)
        A Medianless Avenue is a network that maintains a lane count of 4 or greater (equalling or exceeding that of the game's default Avenue), but has a narrow, painted division between opposing directions of traffic. Two MAVEs exist the Network Widening Mod, a 4-lane version (MAVE-4), and a 6-lane version (MAVE-6), the latter of which has a higher capacity.

Despite their name, MAVEs are Road-based override networks built from starter pieces. The term MAVE is being phased out in the next NAM release, to avoid confusion between the triple-tile AVE-6 and the dual-tile MAVE-6, and these networks will be considered wider versions of Road network (RD-4 and RD-6).
        MHW: Maxis Highway
        A term sometimes used to refer to the game's default Elevated and Ground Highway networks, often in contradistinction to the RealHighway (RHW) system. MIS: Modular Interchange System
        This term has a dual meaning. The MIS is generically used to refer to the RealHighway (RHW) system's capabilities to build modular interchanges, as opposed to the pre-fabricated plop interchanges of the Maxis Highway system. More specifically, it is also used to refer to the "MIS Ramp", single-lane, one-way RealHighway-based override network, built from starter pieces, and is most often used to connect RealHighways to surface streets or other larger RealHighways. NREE: Nicole Richie Effect Eliminators
        Early codename for RHW Neighbor Connectors. NSGID: Network-Specific Group ID
        A Group ID (GID) for exemplar files, which is specific for a given network. NWM: Network Widening Mod
        The Network Widening Mod is a NAM Plugin, which currently exists as a separate-download module, but will be added to the NAM Core with the upcoming NAM 31 release. It uses Road-based and One-Way Road-based override networks (but not Avenue-based override networks) from starter pieces to vary their width, capacity, and appearance. Network Widening networks are often referred to in a short hand based on their type and number of lanes they have (e.g. TLA-5, OWR-3).

Five basic types of NWM networks currently exist: Road-based Avenues (AVE, 2-lane and 6-lane), Road-based Asymmetrical Roads (ARD, 3-lane), Road-based Medianless Avenues (MAVE, 4-lane and 6-lane) Road-based Turning Lane Avenues (TLA, 3-lane, 5-lane and 7-lane), and extended One-Way Roads (OWR, 1-lane, 3-lane, 4-lane, and 5-lane). Most NWM networks do have higher capacities compared to the networks upon which they are based.
        OWR: One-Way Road
        An abbreviation used not only to refer to the game's default One-Way Road network (sometimes called "OWR-2" in this short hand, because it has 2 lanes), but also the single-tile 1-lane (OWR-1) and 3-lane (OWR-3), and dual-tile 4-lane (OWR-4) and 5-lane (OWR-5) variants, included in the Network Widening Mod, as One-Way Road-based override networks built from starter pieces. PedMall: Pedestrian Mall
        A type of puzzle piece designed to carry only pedestrian traffic. QTR: Quadruple Track Rail
        RABET: Roundabout Extension Tiles
        RAM: Railway Addon Mod
        RD: Road
        RI: Ramp Interface
        RHW: RealHighway (formerly Rural Highway, before late-2009)
        The RealHighway system is a NAM Plugin, which currently exists as a separate-download module, but has been added to the NAM Core following the release of NAM 31. It is based upon an unfinished network ("DirtRoad") that Maxis left in the game's files, and was reactivated by the NAM Team in 2004-2005.

It currently consists of a series of variable-width highways (ranging from 2 to 10 lanes) with the ability to have variable-width medians, built from starter pieces, and uses modular construction techniques to construct interchanges, rather than the pre-fabricated plop interchanges of the default Maxis Highways. RealHighways are connected to surface streets (Roads, One-Way Roads and Avenues) and other RealHighways through Ramp Interfaces. Transitions between different widths and ground and elevated networks are accomplished through Transition Pieces.

RealHighway networks are often referred to in a short hand based on the number of lanes they have in a symmetrical setup allowing for travel in both directions, for example, RHW-2, RHW-4. Networks beyond the RHW-4 often are classified as either being C-type or S-type (e.g. RHW-6C, RHW-8S). C-type networks are "combined", and the two travel directions cannot be separated like S-type ("separable") networks.
        RTL: Road Turning Lanes
        An optional plugin in the NAM Core, which adds turn lanes to +-intersections and T-intersections between two orthogonal Roads. RTMT: Road-Top Mass Transit
        RUL: Network Rule File
        RUL2: Shorthand for the RUL with the Instance ID 0x100000002, the NetworkOverrides RUL, which is used in the creation of "override networks".
        RuRP: Rural Roads Plugin
        SAM: Street Addon Mod
        SIP: Signalized Intersection Piece
        SPM: Signage Piece Mod
        STR: Single Track Rail
        T-RAM: Tram-Road Addon Mod
        T21: Type 21 Exemplar
        TIA: Tram (GLR)-in-Avenue
        TIR: Tram (GLR)-in-Road
        TLA: Turning Lane Avenue
        TOR: Tram (GLR)-on-Road
        TOS: Tram (GLR)-on-Street
        TTR: Triple Track Rail
        TuLEP: Turning Lane Extension Piece(s) (or Project)
        WAVERide: Wave Override

Acronyms sometimes confused for being Network Addon Mod-related
        CAM: Colossus Addon Mod
        Not transit-related at all, but rather, a mod dealing with RCI simulation, which adds additional stages to growables.

Updated: 09/18/2012 (work in progress)