7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hey folks,

I'm laying out an El Rail System in a metro city, I was wondering what would be a good spacing between stations?

TIA

Robdragon

I don't think there will be any one correct (or incorrect) answer to your question.

The only real guidance to follow for any transportation network is that your stations (rail, bus, subway) need to be between where your residents live and where they work.  Sims are always looking for the shortest way to a destination.  They will not travel out of there way to get on public transportation.  In other words, to increase the chances of Sims taking public transportation, the distance from the departure station to a Sim's job must always be shorter than the distance from the Sim's residence to the job.

Likewise, Sims will not backtrack (towards home) to get to their jobs from their destination station, even if it's only a matter of a block or two.  In other words, the distance from the departure station to the destination station must be shorter than the distance from the departure station to the Sim's job.

So, the following situations prevail:

Scenario 1)  home >-------> station >-----------> station >----> job will always attract commuters that want to use public transportation;

Scenario 2)  station >--> home >-------------> station >---> job  will not attract commuters; neither will

Scenario 3)  home >--> station >--------------> job >> station

Note that these scenarios apply to each specific household.  So you need to spread your stations throughout your residential areas as well as the areas you want your Sims to commute to for work. 

Hope this makes sense.

From what I've observed, in urban areas, the optimal distance for light rail (GLR, tram, el-rail, subway) is between 300 and 500 metres, which is close to 20 to 30 tiles (as 1 tile = 16 metres)

This is generally a somewhat short distance for light rail in real life, but all the game lots are much denser than their real counterparts, so you need to make denser networks too.

For heavy rail, double those distances, and for monorail (high speed rail), multiply it by four.

19 hours ago, twalsh102 said:

your stations (rail, bus, subway) need to be between where your residents live and where they work.

...Unless you install the NAM, which has perfect pathing (fastest, not shortest).

Even without the NAM, some residents (esp low-wealth ones) have no cars. If there's no work within walking distance, then they must find mass-transit, so they will walk away from work if that's what they need to do to catch a bus.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Simmer2
      It has come to my attention that Caribou's website went down back in 2016 and after scouring the internet there is no trace of any of his work.
      Since I have his work stored in a secure offline vault, I feel that in the spirit of preservation, his work should be available to the public once again.
      These lots and models were made by Caribou and are provided AS IS, nothing in the Zips has been changed by me.
      Since he never provided any pictures I took it upon myself to plop all the lots in game for the purpose of taking snapshots in order for everyone to peruse them before downloading.
      Anyone in the future who would like to create new lots from these models can now use these uploads as a dependency.
      There are 2 lots in this zip
      1) Flyover grey rail station
      1) Flyover blue rail station
      Many Thanks go to Tyberius06 for bringing this matter to my attention.
      Kind regards
      Simmer2
    • By matias93
      I've watched carefully the video tutorial and searched in the forums for a previous answer, but I can get no clue about which intersections are possible to make with the el-rail over avenue.
      Specifically, it is possible to continue the el rail from the el rail over avenue linearly, or at least parallel to the network direction?
      Ideally, I'd like to do something analogous to this:

But I'd to workaround it, and got this:

I'll be very thankful if you can help with this!
    • By z1
      This add-on pack makes a number of new stations and features available to RTMT users. It is designed to be used by people who have already installed RTMT V3.50. Its main features are summarized here:

SAM Stations: There are 15 new stations for seven of the eight currently existing SAM textures. (There is no room for stations on the parking lot textures.) All stations are single-square. For each of the four paved textures, there is a bus stop, a subway station, and a combination bus stop and subway station. For the two dirt textures and the gravel texture, there are simply bus stops. These stations can be plopped successfully whenever there is at least one square of SAM texture on either side of the station. However, demolishing these stations may cause the surrounding pavement to revert to the default street texture if there are not enough SAM squares present.

SAM streets may be dragged through these stations with no ill effects.
      El Rail over Road Stations: Six new stations are included here. There are bus, subway, and combination bus and subway stations for El Rail over Road, as well as similar stations for El Rail over Street. Both Standard and Euro road textures are available for these stations.

GLR Transitions: This Add-On Pack features two GLR transitions, one from GLR-in-Avenue to Underground, and the other from GLR-in-Road to Underground. For both transitions, "Underground" may be subway, underground rail, or both. As of this release, there is no underground rail network for avenues, so that particular connection cannot be made. However, when such a network is made available, this connection should be usable. These transitions are also being released simultaneously in a standalone package for non-RTMT users. In future RTMT releases, the versions of these transitions bundled with RTMT will also have optional bus, subway, and underground rail stations that will be accessible by pedestrians.

New Station Information Displays: Information about each RTMT station now shows up automatically in all of the NAM Traffic Volume Views. Additionally, information about all stations containing subway stops shows up automatically in the NAM Subway, Subway Building, and Zones Data Views. This information includes the type and size of the stations, as well as the type of network they're located on. These new displays allow previously hidden RTMT stations to be seen, queried, and even demolished. For a detailed description and illustration of how this works, please see the Station Highlighting and Queries thread.

New Station Queries: The RTMT station queries have been expanded considerably, providing significantly more information about both the queried station, similar RTMT stations, and the network on which they reside. An example of such a query is shown in the previously mentioned thread.

New Menu Icons: The RTMT menu icons have been replaced with a set that is based on the actual network textures, and that is much easier to read. Station types are spelled out in the icons. Although the station type names are currently available only in English, the additional station information that appears when mousing over these icons is available in other languages as well. Some of the newer stations do not have alternate language translations yet, but these translations will be coming. If you would like to contribute to this translation effort, please let the RTMT Team know.

DAMN Menus: DAMN menus are now fully implemented for all RTMT stations. These menus allow a hierarchical arranging of the stations, and are implemented via the game's News feature. For dealing with a large number of stations, they are much easier to use than the traditional flat menu structure. However, these are currently implemented for RTMT in English only; other languages supported by RTMT will be converted soon.

The RTMT version of DAMN menus has an extra feature known as the RTMT Root Menu. At the bottom of each RTMT DAMN menu, there is an RTMT icon. Clicking on this icon will take you directly to the top level of the RTMT menu hierarchy.

For those who have Urgent Advice Dialogs turned off in the game options, the DAMN menus will show up in the News window. They work just as well here as in the separate popup window. However, whereas the popup window will disappear when you finish using the DAMN menus, the menus will continue to be displayed in the News window after use, but become grayed out. In both cases, clicking on the "Open Additional Menus" link will reactivate them. Also, if you are using the News window for your DAMN menus, you may wish to use the Bigger News Window plugin. You may also choose to have the DAMN menus show up in the News window even if you have Urgent Advice Dialogs turned on.

More Custom Props: A number of new props are included in this Add-On Pack. Some of these have already appeared in different form in the RTMT Interim T-RAM Stations pack, some are from previously optional downloads that are now incorporated into the main distribution, and some are completely new. From the RTMT Interim T-RAM Stations pack, the GLR shelters by SimFox and Xyloxadoria are now available for GLR-in-Avenue, while the existing shelter by GShmails and the Historic GLR Tram Station have been upgraded to be HD models. The Berlin props and the additional Ninja subway stair sets are now included in this add-on pack. Finally, Gwail is working on a complete New York City transit prop pack; his NYC bus shelter and bus sign are now available with this distribution.

Additionally, SimGoober, Antoine, and GShmails have all kindly given their permission for their models to be distributed with RTMT. As a result, they are included in this distribution, and there is no need to download them separately any more.

Subway Station Bug Fix: This Add-On Pack fixes a bug that has been present in all versions of RTMTV3. Until now, subway stations that were on subway lines not located at an intersection with another subway line, or within one square of such an intersection, did not work properly. Subway usage at these stations was low to nonexistent. This bug affected all RTMT stations containing subway stations, with the single exception of the combination GLR/Subway Station for GLR-in-Avenue.

A while ago, a workaround for this bug was published in The RTMT V3 Support Thread. To fix this bug for any given station, it is sufficient to create a one-square stub of a subway line leaving the station (or a square on either side of it) in a direction perpendicular to the subway line passing through the station. This workaround still works, and may be preferred where you don't want to replop stations. However, the main bug has been fixed in all RTMT subway stations, and any new stations plopped will not have this bug. Therefore, demolishing an older station and replacing it with a newer station will also fix this bug for that station.

It is essential that the enclosed Readme file be read thoroughly, and that the Installation instructions contained within it be followed exactly. Otherwise, some or all of these features may not work properly.

1/17/10: Added translations for SAM station main menu items for almost all languages. 3/18/10: Fixed customization bugs with GLR-in-Avenue shelters.  
      Dependencies:
      RTMT V3.50 (installer version) or RTMT V3.50 (Zip file version) Network Addon Mod (NAM), June 2009 version or later with the Street Addon Mod Daeley's Advanced Menu Navigator (DAMN) (Optional; currently available only for Windows)  
      Mod edit 7th May 2017 - Fixed formatting
    • By MissVanleider
      Hi everyone.
      I have started to play with the ground light rail and before i go crazy building something i end up having to abandon, i have noticed some things in my random attempts and want to clarify what is possible or required, starting from the most important and in descending order of importance.
      1) i have mainly focussed on the 'draggable' version using the elevated rail override. I have the latest NAM (35) but noticed this:
      Is this still needed or one of those things that has been integrated in a more recent NAM update?
      2) At some stage i want to have a section of 'tram in avenue' or 'tram in road'. These are puzzle pieces, i have played around a little with them but am i missing the menu location for some kinda connection piece to hook it up with the 'draggable' part, or is such connecting not possible? (I.e. i would have to use the GLR puzzle pieces everywhere instead of the draggable version if i want to have the tramway enter a road or avenue)
      3) i have seen (i'm sure) a GLR in road bridge. I think i may have even downloaded such a thing, but how to place it / where on earth does it live? It doesnt appear in my road bridge menu when dragging road. Sure this must be either obvious or impossible, but either way it's beaten me for the moment. - I know how to drag the glr bridge when it is not in road but my sims would really prefer not to have a second river crossing if at all possible!
      4) This one is more of an idle wondering than directly required but i have downloaded a few stations, does anyone know of any that are a bit less 'postmodern shiny glass'? I have a couple of older looking ones too but they are quite pretty and somewhat grand. I'm after something a little grittier, for a blue collar quarter so any ideas would be highly appreciated.
      Thank you for reading
    • By Applevorous
      Is there anyway to cross monorail over these double networks? I was hoping high monorail could do it but can't find the puzzle piece for it. Would the only way to cross them be to split the EL rail from the road then transition it to subway or GLR? Thanks for any suggestions.