FrankSobotka

I changed the texture diffuse map of a Workshop Asset but when I import it doesn't show my new texture

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Hi,

I am a new modder and I am looking to use Cities as a complete sandbox city designer. 

I am reading through tutorials and trying to get used to modding. 

I downloaded this community college model from the workshop and I wanted to change to the texture. So I downloaded the asset via Mod Tools, changed the diffuse map and renamed all the files. 

But when I try to reload into the game the preview doesn't show my new texture but the old texture reversed as in a mirror

Any ideas?

Should I just create the asset anyway and it will show up in game with my texture?

Thank you for any help

Most likely the texture files aren't named correctly. Naming is really important for the game to read the files correctly. The name of the model is used again for the textures, only for textures you add a suffix. Your main texture ends in _d for example. You can see them all here.

The model is mirrored (and so then are the textures) because you exported it via ModTools. For some reason it does that. You can flip it in whatever 3D software you're using. Just make sure to flip the normals too (at least that's needed in Blender).

P.S. I moved this to the modding part of the forum as that's the best place for this sort of topic. :)

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the information. Thats good to know Mod Tools flips it. Regarding the texture, I checked and doubled checked and its not the naming so I'll have to keep slogging away until I can figure it out!

Can you attach the files in a zip file so someone could take a look and see if we can replicate it?

• Original Poster
  • Hi hemeac. 

I actually deleted the fbx and _d already from that yesterday but I am still having some problems with the texture mapping showing up correctly and if you can look at files, please check on these for me

build11.FBX

build11_d.png

build11_i.png

build11_s.png

What modelling programme are you using.? Out of interest I have tried to import the FBX file into Blender and it won't allow me. It will Import into the Asset editor ok but the illumination map and the Specular map don't seem to work. I take it the second picture is the illumination map if so it is most odd. Why would you have the building illuminated and not the windows?

• Original Poster
  • That one was a model from 3d Warehouse sketchup model and then converted into 3dsMax 2010. The illumination map was just a trial created from following a tutorial. 

I think I should just do my modeling not converting as the process of converting from 3d Warehouse>3dsMax>Cities has been more complicated than it should be.  I think if I just start modeling myself in 3ds with the goal of exporting (so I know not to use multiple mesh) will be easier. I think I got lured into the trap of thinking it would be much easier to get started just converting and modifying rather than building everything.

I'm starting the process the now of trying a test with everything done myself so I understand the process better. 

I'm also on Windows 7 not 10 if that makes a difference?

Ah ok. Take a look anyway at this video it covers Illumination and specular maps. In practice it's not quite so involved (although i'm sure there are better mothods out there)

Don't forget the guides on the workshop too. I think windows 7 should be ok

@FrankSobotka, I also had some issues with the import of the file that you've attached.  It seemed like it wasn't centered and rotated correctly with some issues with the UV map. I haven't used 3ds max, but my guess is that the older version of fbx that is saved from 3DS Max may not be fully compatible with the game.  I am not an expert in this area so maybe someone else will provide some more detail.  I started off with Blender as I don't have a license and have no intention of doing this as anything other than a hobby and if you haven't locked yourself into 3DS yet, may be worth looking at.  Regardless, I find building the models one of the most satisfying parts of asset creation, so I would recommend to look at it rather than working off existing models.

I've attached a modified fbx that now imports correctly as well as a modified diffuse map.  @mntoes, to open it in Blender, I had to use Autodesk's FBX Converter as the FBX version was too old for Blender: https://www.autodesk.com/developer-network/platform-technologies/fbx-converter-archives

When I imported it, I noticed it wasn't centered, rotated and the scale hadn't been applied.  This is all going to negatively impact the usability of the asset when imported, but as I don't use 3DS max, I can't provide any guidance on how to fix it.  I would also recommend trying to reuse textures with faces that are using the same texture.  That will allow you get larger textures onto your models and/or smaller texture space.  This building for instance could use a texture space of 512x512 without any loss of quality and just a couple of minutes was able to get it to 512x1024 which I've attached.  I've attached my Blender file here for reference as well+

build11_new.fbx

build11_new_d.png

build11_new.blend

• Original Poster
  • @hemeac

Thank you very much for the information and reference file. I am definitely getting started on making my own models. I mistakenly thought it would be easier to learn the process by trying to import from 3d Warehouse. In the long run it's a great learning experience because I discovered many things not to do and I understand the process much better for making my own models. I'm using 3ds Max because I've used it one summer in University modeling trees so I have some familiarity to build on.

Good luck!  For the assets that I make, I try to get plans as that saves a lot of time with getting proportions right and saving a lot of time and stress fiddling.  Maybe if you found a good building from 3D Warehouse, you could import those and just move it to the side and use it as a reference model?  But also don't feel bad if it is taking a bit to get started.  I had a few false starts and it wasn't until I found a couple of really helpful tutorials on YouTube on creating Star Wars assets that I was really motivated to start, but I had spent a couple of months just tinkering with my Star Destroyer model before I was happy with it and felt that I knew enough about modelling to try to do something "more productive" by working on CS assets.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the encouragement! Its also a steep learning curve for things like this.

One more question, does not loading all the prop assets a building has increase chance of crashing the game?

I'm not sure how its coded but my instinct always tells me to download every supplementary asset to get no "Not Found" messages but if its not important then I will ignore those orange messages in Mod Tools and not download props I don't want to use anyway. 

Just getting something from a 3d modeling app into the game, with all the textures working and intact is an accomplishment, nice going! :thumb:

Just remember, it's all about practice and patience, nothing happens overnight; it looks like you're on your way to more complex geometry and textures already. Good luck!