hemeac

Hemeac's Workshop - (WIP: Fairfield Station)

23 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Thought I would use this to show a few assets as I am working on them.  I've finished up my model for the High Capacity Metro Train.  I wanted to see if there was a way to get the train to default to replacing the last car with an engine without using Improved Public Transport 2 or Advanced Vehicle Options.

Screenshot 800.png

• Original Poster
  • I've tinkered with creating the sound tunnel that is similar to the one on the tollway near Melbourne's Cheesestick.  I used Ronyx69 Custom Lights to create a "rainbow" that is relatively close to the night projections in real life.  In case people would like to have the lights, but maybe not in those colors, I've attached the code I've used, haven't posted since it's a bit long for a forum post.

Screenshot 810.png

Screenshot 813.png

Sound Tunnel Light.txt

• Original Poster
  • I plopped it under the highways that had higher vehicle traffic and they seemed to have cleared it fine, they may run into issues if you tried squeezing in the 5 lane highway there.  If you notice problems, let me know and I can rescale it.

• Original Poster
  • Finally convinced myself that I need to build a train station.  Decided to base it off of Fairfield Station as this was the first station I used when I moved here, close enough to home and was built in the 1910s (as far as I can tell from the style).  I've extended the platform to about 170 meters so it will fit the High Capacity Metro Train.  This is just some work that I've done this evening  and decided that I'd include the station box as well.  Will post an update once I've started texturing.

Day 1.png

Fantastic mate! Australian train stations are very unique and there is nothing like this on the workshop. Loving your stuff so far. Where about's in Australia are you based?

@hemeac, it's almost like that.

They are silos, with a high conveyor that take the grains to the place that in Portuguese we call "tulha". This part carries the wagons.

468d06_f2bd3a29402b407aac52a3bc886255ee.

73.jpg

This is a part with smaller, elevated silos that receives grains from a larger silo by a conveyor and loads the wagons.

20020830atcMoegaN.jpg

dfSoja1.jpg

dfSoja2.jpg

on google you find searching with the term "grain loading station train"

In the workshop you have this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131611278

Jefferson-grain-elevator-cargo-station-2Jefferson-grain-elevator-cargo-station-4

But I feel that something is missing, like the place where the trucks unload the grains to feed the silos and the loader of the wagons. Maybe the rail might be further. I do not know if it's possible to change that.

• Original Poster
  • @willham, Silos and cargo stations haven't been on my radar, but I'm heading to the US to visit family soon and I'll go check out a few grain elevators that are along the old rail trail that is near my parents.  It probably won't be a top priority, but I'll try and keep it in mind.  I may go check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceresota_Building as well, but that might not have the rural flavor that you are looking for from your screenshots.

@hemeacBut it would be really cool to have something like this, even if it's the Wikiedia template. In C: S today there is the search for more details instead of bulky cities. *:lol:

• Original Poster
  • @willham, I agree it would be great, but it isn't something that I am personally dying to try to model at the moment, but that could change.  I am not really playing CS outside of placing my assets in it for screenshots and I am making assets primarily because I am interested in learning how to 3D model and CS is a good venue for viewing my completed work.  I am happy to take requests as that has led me to think it would be an interesting thing to model, the sound tunnel being one such example.  But if I've learned anything about myself is that the best way to kill ones interest in a hobby is to partake in elements of it that one isn't passionate about.  I think if I was to try and model assets based on what I believe others wanted rather than making what I want to do, my interest in modelling would die quickly and I would go back to finishing up my Kerbal Space Program campaign.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:25 AM, hemeac said:

Thanks!  @barcasam7, living in the northern suburbs of Melbourne.  Spent much time in Melbourne yourself?  @willham, Were you thinking of something like this: http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2016-01-07/brim-grain-silos-guido-van-helten-art-wimmera-victoria/7072768

Ahh the most liveable city in the world! Unfortunately not, only been Queensland to Goldie and Brisbane. It's definitely on my list. 

• Original Poster
  • @willham, if nothing else you've planted a seed (no pun intended when I first wrote it) :-).  @barcasam7, Have yet to go that far north, but have some friends who live up there now, so running out of excuses

• Original Poster
  • Have the diffuse map mostly settled so I've started texturing and have checked to see how it is looking in the asset editor.  Currently at 6900 tris and think that'll increase by about another 900-1000 by the time I am done texturing the building on Platform 1.  Will check it tomorrow in game to see how the colors look with different luts, but am really pleased how it is turning out.  Decided to add some grunge details to the textures which is a first in my buildings.

20180512224052_1.jpg

20180512224110_1.jpg

20180512224128_1.jpg

20180512224240_1.jpg

@hemeac  It s already looking great !! I like it ! :) especially your overpass, because i really really love it to see the cims walking their way, instead of disapearing in a invisible pathway... I am looking forward to your release ! :)

• Original Poster
  • @Clus, Thanks, Just getting it ready now to put together in the asset editor.  Hopefully can get the cims to walk up there properly!

Some quick tip regarding the ped paths. Lay erverything down as a normal concrete Pathway next to your asset and then update it to the ped version. After that just copy it with "Move it", take it in position and align the heights. That is the method that worked best for me, because the damn pathways are, lets call it nice, tricky to use ... 

• Original Poster
  • @Clus, Thanks for the tip, took me a couple of hours to figure out how to get the track to work.  Also should have done a bit more planning!

Screenshot 926.png

• Original Poster
  • Went through several tests to finally get the pedestrians to the right height. Still need to do some fiddling to get them to walk up the stairs on the side to Platform 2 and of course replace the walkway. @Clus, Thanks for your suggestion on upgrading the pathway and using Move It!.  Very Very appreciated.

Screenshot 935.png

You re welcome ;) laying down the ped pathways was the most annoying procedure with "all" my stations so far. It took me quite some time to find a "ok" solution to do it ... But even with that method the result is not perfect. Sometimes the cims are still clipping through the mesh... and sometimes it works as it is intended.  You have to try and test it several times to find the best way for you and sadly this takes a lot of time. I Think that I have spend at least 10 - 15 % of the asset creation time in the asset editor to test different solutions.

Anyway ... your station looks great ! I am really looking forward to your release ! :)

• Original Poster
  • Finally done.  Was running into an error when trying to add props and gave up given that I was only adding a couple.  Will have to check that out for next time, but couldn't be bothered.

Screenshot 956.png

Screenshot 967.png

Screenshot 968.png

Screenshot 974.png